AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 415 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

[Can't wait to see the response to THAT one.] +1

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Let's look at it this way you gave us a benchmark to perform and some of us ran it,
and post the results.
Now the Intel CPU's from the 2600k to the 4770k sit at the top of your benchmark list,
and the only one you compare the 8350 to are the one's under it, never the one's above.
So the question is why would you continuously do this?

Here's where other's can see what I'm talking about.
http://www.headline-benchmark.com/

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Or better yet... what does this has to do with Steamroller?

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

So guess I just have very good luck with Intel chips then right?

http://valid.canardpc.com/95b7ds

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
If this is true then I wonder what a fully unlocked Card would do against the 780TI?
http://wccftech.com/amd-hawaii-gpu-die-shot-analyzed-fully-unlocked-chip-48-compute-units-3072-stream-processors/

Well, its a sign that nVidia thinks AMD has something good in their hands with Kaveri, so they won't give them the benefit of getting ahead of them PR wise. AMD does the same thing to Intel and nVidia, so no surprises here.

The weird thing, is the hotel coincidence, haha.

We might see cherry picked ones later on, since we always see cherry picked ones later, haha. Maybe Sapphire or Asus will get them. Or maybe they're already creating "special edition" ones. It's been done before, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Cheers!

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Or they're reserved for the Workstation class video cards. They didn't update the FirePro series yet right?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

At this point I'm more interested in Maxwell as Kaveri has been beat to death the past year. Assuming Maxwell is 20nm, otherwise meh.

afaik, amd a10 7850k should run 1.5v ddr3 2133 ram by default. higher speed ram might need setting a.m.p.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Why the hell would the i3 be direct competition? the i3 is a Dual Core with Hyper Threading, Kaveri is a Full 4 Cores and their cores are much stronger than a Phenom/FX Core... and the GPU inside Kaveri is at least 4 times Stronger to any i3 GPU, unless you`re comparing Price point and even so... the i3 looks like Smelly crap compared to Kaveri.

Kaveri seems to be direct competition to the older i5 models.

Even if Kaveri is only 10% faster than Richland, it would still be a heck ton of a better deal that the fastest i3, just NO.

Also, Kaveri using it`s 4 cores will probably laugh at any i3 in Multi Threaded Apps... i3 Single Core performance may be crazy, but it`s Multi Threaded is just Laughable.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/675?vs=677

Even the lowly 5800k pulls ahead against the i3 3220 in the Intel Biased Cinebench in Multi Threading.

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

It's a limitation of Java that I can't assign threads to specific cores. I have to rely on the default OS scheduling. Trust me, I've tried. Still, it's interesting that Microsoft gets it pretty wrong. And relevant to the 90% of users stuck with the Windows scheduler.

The issue does not affect any scores however, as I only count the single-threaded and maximum performance data points. I used to include intermediate threading results, but stopped that and recalculated everything over a month ago after feedback from Yuka and gamerk.

You are however seeing what I think is a real effect, where the assymetric complexity of hyperthreading is difficult for the OS to schedule optimally, whereas the FX chip presents 8 roughly equivalent cores, which is easier to schedule. I.e. This may be a real advantage of the FX architecture that you can't see simply by looking at max theoeretical performance.

Regarding the number of threads, I go to logical processors + 4 because on Windows this squeezes a bit more performance from the CPU. I think what happens is the extra threads squeeze the CPU time of background processes. On linux, performance tends to peak at threads = cores.

Jed, Regarding any bias in my postings, the results come in at different times and not all results are available at the same time. But then, I have an actual website that shows to the whole world that Intel is on top, so what are you complaining about? Also, all CPUs on the site are shown compared to the top (i.e. Intel) CPU. How is that biased to AMD? Also, this an AMD thread, so I only tend to post AMD-relevant results.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

If that`s Kaveri performance then it looks like crap, good thing it`s 2 more weeks to release.

I dont understand the benchmarks completely, but Kaveri iGPU shouldnt be way faster in 3D Mark 11 performance? it seems in those benchmarks Kaveri 512 GCN GPU barely did better than Richland 384 WLVI4 GPU... quite odd.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Yuka Ok, but look at bandwidth.

de5_Roy But the benchmarked sample is not a stock A10-7850k, but a 'capped' sample with lower base frequency, lower turbo, lower...

anxiousinfusion, they are comparing the 65W Kaveri against 100W Richland. Also they are not using final drivers and they had throttling issues.

The CPU benchmarks are more interesting. The CB R11.5 score shows a 12% gain. The wPrime score shows a 30% gain. And the Sisoft Sandra where Kaveri is 5x faster than Richland is showing HSA in action ;-)

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Be ridiculous if they upgraded there APU's to only have a stronger CPU. But I'm waiting for official benchmarkswhen the drivers for these things are released.

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Huge market for people who want a cheap OEM with the ability to play a game or two.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Competition is based on price of course. You don't compare luxury cars vs economy cars do you? You also don't compare much older models vs new. It's rather irrelevant as the supply of i5-2500k has dropped to used parts only.

The Haswell i3 has 8 ALU (2 x 4 ALU), which is the same as Kaveri (4 x 2 ALU). Haswell cores have much wider pipes. Graphics is of course the AMD advantage.

i3-4340 is $149, Kaveri 7850K is rumored $159. That is it's direct competition.

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

A lot of people don't want a 360...they want to play Dota or Starcraft after checking their Email...There is a market for it whether it's declining or not...yes portability's taking over, but these chips are also in laptops.

Also, It probably costs the same to produce and ship a single module APU as a quad-core. I'm sure AMD would be all over that market if it provided a significant value for development. but keeping specs as high as they can while keeping costs level is the best way to develop these things.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

yes, but i'm willing to bet an arm and a leg that those people are not looking forward to p@wn people while keeping visual settings low-medium. i've been playing dota 2 for a long time now and playing it @ 720p or lower at fluctuating FPS really hurts the experience. and that 384 GCN cores will not be enough to satisfy any competitive multiplayer gamer out there. my 7750 ddr3 which is twice as fast didn't well do well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.