AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 436 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD's CTO agreeing with you isn't vindication. Its the reality that they have fallen years behind intel on the cpu side. They have little choice at this point but to try and change the battlefield and leverage their GPU assets.

If by PD refresh you mean AM3+ refresh, your conclusion is not in evidence. One thing this launch has shown us is that the 28nm half node was not well suited for an enthusiast grade part. Perhaps they are just waiting for the full shrink.

i don't know what programming language sandra uses, but wasn't ags1's benchmark written in java? does that affect which components the benchmark taxes? i assume sandra's coders know which part of the cpu/apu (vendor-specific, in instances?) to aim for like all synthetic benchmark programs.

homework, cool :). will get on that asap. anyway, 4th alu in ~3.5ghz dual core cpus sounds like overkill... does that mean haswell's core i3's htt performance is as strong as amd's cmt?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I found this rather interesting. AT was able to OC from 3.7Ghz to 4.2Ghz without even bumping the Vcore.

That's pretty rare isn't it?

Kaveri%20Power%20Draw_575px.png

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Looks like 4.2-4.3 GHz is the freq at which this particular chip's power draw starts to rise exponentially….any higher than this and it’ll start drawing astronomical amounts of power.
This is lower than PD on 32nm if I’m correct?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Check again. That's where the chart above came from.

Still waiting for a 2nd round of reviews that goes more in depth (Tom's hopefully). Some off comments I've been reading indicate higher minimum fps increases. So while the peak/avg fps might not be going up a lot the gameplay would be more fluid.

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Yes Headline Benchmark was designed to maximize the benefit of caching - it copies the same piece of data repeatedly, so the likelihood of a cache hit is maximized. The only way to make it more cache-friendly would be to lock the thread to the same core to avoid core hopping, but that's a "no can do" for Java. Still it produces curves that usually correspond to the cache size per CPU, and matches the expected cache performance of eg FX versus Core i. I'd like to see what happens on an Iris Pro system as that breaks the test a bit - I copy blocks up to 32GB thinking that would be enough to exceed the size of any consumer CPU cache, but then Intel came out with 100MB L4 cache... :-(

i don't see a second article. the at review was done by ian cutress and rahul garg.
i assume chris' iris pro article, kaveri review ...scratch that, the review just came out (while i was typing the reply)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-7850k-a8-7600-kaveri,3725.html

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I'd also like to see some in depth reviews and figures. We haven't seen any temp charts yet, have we? Also, some analysis on the frequencies the higher end parts manage to maintain. I'm wondering if there is some throttling going on due to thermal issues. All those transistors densly packed together on a bulk process may be harming performance a little, but hum away quite happily on the lower-clocked A8.

Ultimately, you have a processor architecture that was designed to hit high frequencies on SOI, but now that is no longer an option. I think AMD need to go back to the drawing board and design a proc from the ground up to work at lower frequencies on bulk. Wait, they already have - Jaguar. Any reason that can't be made to work at higher TDPs?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I have always said that Kaveri is made on 28nm bulk process at GlobalFoundries. You will have to find another person to blame ;-)

ok guys enough mud slinging now.

In fact in the last 15 years I only know of one prediction in a microprocessor release well ahead of the fact that exceeded expectations ... and that was the core2 ... based on the IPC from it's early mobile predecessor.

10 points for naming the part and the article.

:)

logainofhades

Titan

In Anandtech's review, 7850k failed to beat an HD 6750. Granted the CPU was a 4770k, but the 6750 beat out the 7850k at higher resolutions even by just the slightest amount. HD 7750 is definitely superior to 6750. For awhile yesterday there was an HD 7770 on sale for the price of a 7750. Keep eye out on combo deals and sales and can easily outmatch a 7850k for the same amount of money. :D

Well, Toms put out a little dual graphics round up and the results (with frame pacing enabled) look quite promising.

Maybe, just maybe, the A10 7850K could justify its price point with a cheap R7 240 for more computing (ergo graphics) muscle. I wonder if the R7 260 can work as well in dual graphics. Well, the higher the graphics fidelity, the better the CPU has to be, I guess.

Cheers!

i didn't see any temperature measurements, throttling tests at stock in any of the kaveri reivews i read so far. i guess writers and editors are tired from the recent events. detailed analyses on how much kaveri can be pushed on mainstream 3rd party cooling should be interesting.

8350rocks

Distinguished

My 8350 runs @ 4.4 GHz on stock vcore of 1.35...

AMD has been particularly good at accomplishing such feats if you get a good batch of silicon.

However, with bulk silicon and higher density, the leakage will be off the charts and power consumption will rise dramatically once you get out of the "sweet spot". We saw this evidenced with PD architecture, however, the sweet spot was significantly higher, in the realm of 4.6-4.8 on the high end depending on your silicon due to PD-SOIs leakage tolerances. I could likely push my chip harder, but I prefer to keep my case running cooler without going to a more elaborate cooling setup.

good point! i wonder what happened to rcm. after all the hype about 30% less power use, they went silent on trinity release and nothing ever since. meanwhile glofo did claim that their 28nm process has adopted rcm. that's too vague.
the current sr-b and kaveri is really a laptop uarch with hsa enhancements scaled up to desktop use. i credit amd and their revamped power gating for this for the most part. that said, i'd also like to see some o.c. and how their new power management tech works.

one thing is quite clear though, what amd Really pitching here is not kaveri, not steamroller, But, HSA. they're trying to drive the point that HSA has a physical form now, and it is a major achievement for the betterment of pckind and the software ecosystem is coming. meanwhile enjoy your low cost apu (which will take advantage of HSA when it gets here).

all of the reviews lack in depth technical and hardware insights like haswell launch or bulldozer (zambezi and vishera). the most technical info was in tom's review and in s/a's. at focussed more on hsa. that was it. and then a8 7600 stole the show, lol.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I agree that the A8 7600 is the star of this release, especially at 45 watts. It retains a remarkable amount of gaming prowess for shedding 50 watts compared to the 7850K. Tom's review claims that Kaveri was optimized for ~45 watts and the reviews seem to confirm this.

It would be interesting to build a silent HTPC like palladin likes to advocate for around one. Too bad it isn't available yet.

Now that you mention it, I'll submit the A8-3850 testing. I totally forgot about it, lol.

Cheers!

EDIT: http://www.headline-benchmark.com/results/24e1ef3f-be69-4503-9310-1cb3e1222523/e286f2a7-a169-4663-91d6-96fec96cacb6

Status
Not open for further replies.