AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 490 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid

;)

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah i notice a lot of people use the smartphone argument to make their claim seem more valid, yeah nice try the linux kernel is free and everything else is customizable unlike windows of course it will be on smartphones that require such customization.

jdwii

Splendid

Being more of an hardware guy i'm not to happy when i have to take time to install something that only takes 3 clicks on windows. Does Ubuntu even come with any media player now? I remember trying to install handbrake on linux was such a pain and yes i had to run as root all the time. With linux if you want to use your PC for actual work or more than just an internet browser you have to know some basic terminal knowledge, plus it seems easier to mess things up meaning you should know what you're doing.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Ubuntu currently comes with lots of software for free, a media player is one, and VLC is free and easily found as well.

Additionally, it seems as though a lot of these experiences are with older software. Perhaps try it again.

damn. i was hoping for this one to compete with the new "haswell refresh" cpus. mainly in d.i.y. htpc space, smaller (thinner) form factor steam boxes and thin nettops like zotac zbox and sapphire edge pcs. it's also strange that there's almost no chatter about mobile kaveri.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
I am reading last posts in this thread with pleasure.

Some people enter here to complain about the thread, but fail to notice that just a pair of pages before their complaints some of us here provided info and links on last news about Steamroller (e.g. HSA enabled driver released by AMD two days ago), about Kaveri successor (Carrizo and their DDR4 support), about MANTLE...

Others are posting lots of nonsense about linux...

Steam statistics!!! LOL. Are you aware that linux games are not ready true? Do you know what Steam OS is?

Net statistics for OS share!!! LOL This link was already given by the same guy in the past. His 1% myth link was refuted by a pair of links explaining how they obtain the statistics, why their numbers are incorrect, and which is the linux share in desktops: 8--13%.

Of course, it is 95% in phones/tablets, 90% in servers, 99.5% in HPC... Do you know the PS4 doesn't use Windows? Neither PS3, nor...

Linux requires compiling software!!! LOL Mainstream distros have been using binaries (just as Windows) for more than one decade.

Linux requires complex console commands to install codecs and so!!! LOL in what universe!!! Million moms and kids in this universe use linux daily, the codecs are preinstalled in the OS, and if some new is needed it is downloaded and installed automatically by the OS with only a pair of clicks (yes using a mouse or trackpad) for action confirmation. And of course, we can install/desinstall software with one-click. Yes in linux we use the mouse as well. Surprise!!!

In last two years linux has became more simple than windows. I know because I know hundred of people unexperienced with computers who use it. Some are using it in cibercafes without knowing that they are using linux. Somewhat as million people who use linux daily in his/her phone or tablet.

2 year-old kids can use linux:

http://www.eugenecomputergeeks.com/Computer-and-Technology-Blog/2012/09/14/linux-is-easier-to-use-than-windows/

And of course the gap linux-windows is larger when compared to Windows 8

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141174-linux-mint-14-released-its-like-windows-8-minus-the-bad-bits

Linux is not used at work!!! LOL What was my teacher at uni using then for his molecular electronic analysis? What is my server provider using then? What OS is using the goverment of my country?

This is from an old 2007 news

practically every blockbuster movie you see in theaters today was created with Linux. Hollywood prefers to use Linux instead of other operating systems, like Windows or Macintosh, for three simple reasons: it's better, faster and cheaper.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hollywood-Loves-Linux-45571.shtml

Linux lacks Photoshop and only has GIMP, which is different. First, you can run Photoshop under linux as well. Second different doesn't mean poor. I know someone who is expert at this and she says me that GIMP is better for some things, whereas photoshop is better for others. She has just made a CD cover using GIMP, and this cover has been selected for the music CD of a very very famous artist. I suppose this is another example of how linux cannot be used at work true?

Linux is not a suitable OS because breaks mobos!!!! I have to confess this is the most silliest claim that I read against linux. If the person that made this claim had read the link, he would discover that the Samsung staff has identified the problem on the Samsung driver. Since it is a problem of Samsung, not of linux, you can break mobo using Windows as well

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027819/not-just-linux-windows-can-brick-samsung-laptops-too.html

jdwii

Splendid

Well i can probably find a way to say how this is revelevent, really this thread needs to be taken down and a new excavator thread needs to be open.

I'm thinking the thread needs to be renamed ... what is the next iteration AMD is planning?

I gave up remembering after the second time I was dissappointed.

Its a bit like the Lingere you buy the missus ... doesn't look so good back at home.

Maybe I was wearing it backwards?

Meh ...

:)

Pick a new name and I'll change it.

Good idea Stardust.

my suggestions for new thread title:
a. Future AMD CPUs, APUs, SOCs rumors, speculations and expert conjecture
b. Future AMD CPUs Thread
c. AMD Excavator and beyond, future/upcoming AMD CPUs, APUs, SOCs speculations and expert conjecture
d. AMD Excavator rumors, speculations thread

if the titles seem a bit derivative, they most definitely are. credits to previous threads and titles. :D

edit:
i know what's going into my next pc :whistle::

SK Hynix creates high capacity DDR4 modules
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34433-sk-hynix-creates-high-capacity-ddr4-modules
carrizo's server iteration may have massive memory bw, power efficiency and size at it's disposal.

jdwii

Splendid
lol cd cover in gimp, juanrga please just stop, lets just stop this war anyways it never goes nowhere. Windows will be used a lot and so will linux in the coming years as for that millions of pc's i can show you more using windows hell i even think mac is used more then linux no? Linux is amazing because its cheap and customizable, that is also why its used so much. No licensing fee's which is a big thing in businesses with server. However you're looking at the industry wrong you think of people as this someone who knows a lot and someone who knows nothing. This viewpoint is wrong i'm sorry but even using linux again right now its harder to do simple things that windows can do in a flash and this is not linuxes fault its the fault of software support in America that is a big thing we need word we need photoshop we need average technicians who can install those programs in a flash without knowing lines of commands which is needed except for the easy things. You will always find those geeks or techs who love linux and hate microsoft those people i laugh at because Microsoft did a lot of things for the industry good and bad and so did open source and linux. Installing drivers is even a pain to do at times. Just because someone can click on a browser and do the same things they can do on windows doesn't make linux easy to use. Its easy to use when you get into the dirty stuff and then you have to use the terminal more then you have to use the command prompt on windows. Now once again both have their place in the world but you telling me someone who is a network admin that linux is easy to use its just an outrageous claim and you don't have extraordinary evidence to back it up and you disprove others actual data about the market share and even go onto phones/tablets share to make your(not just you) point. I'm not talking about some troll device like a phone/tablet all i care about is laptops/desktops the real working machines.

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Wall of text: critical hit!

You're right on one thing though, there's room and a need for Windows, Linux and OSX, none of them are going away any time soon.

Last time I had to use a terminal was to find the MAC address for my work laptop to get it logged onto a network. Yes, that was Windows.

Ohh it's definitely not "free". For example EMC makes RecoverPoint which is an appliance used to synchronize SANs in two separate geographic locations. R/W's that happen at once location are temporarily stored, compressed then later sent off to the passive SAN in order to keep it synched, it's a redundancy solution. Each RPA box costs $50,000 USD and you need at least one per site (preferably two). EMC use's Linux, specifically a RHEL based custom OS, for their RPA devices. Ciscoworks is the same way, it costs big money not only for the software but also for the licenses (they are sold on a per network device, so a few hundred to thousand is needed). And those are only two amongst hundreds of devices I've had to shell into to fix something or apply some vender provided fix action. There is no royalty payment to Linux Torvalds, doesn't mean there isn't payment to some other entity who puts the whole thing together and provides you with security updates.

The real reason Linux is typically chosen for appliances is that it's highly customizable. The developers at EMC (or other vender) can tailor the kernel and software distribution for their appliance and reach a higher level of integration. And since they are the ones providing support and update testing, the customers don't need to pay for additional administrative manpower to support "Linux".

For home users and enthusiasts, you compare the costs of a $300~$400 MS Windows 7 Ultimate license against the free download of Ubuntu, or the 4~6 grand for Server 2008r2/2012 vs free CENTOS, and think MS is this huge super expensive cost. Yet to a large company with a full IT staff, the costs of the IT staff far exceed the cost of the Server / Client licensing. The costs for those licenses is actually a very small part of the total cost of IT, the real costs are in manhours required to do various tasks. The faster / easier your users and IT staff can manage your IT environment, the cheaper it becomes. So next time someone wants to compare the various OS's, first take a step back and figure out how much time it takes to do any one particular task in either, how much time would it take for an administrator to do that task on 100~1000 systems, how much time it would take a barely competent user to do a task, and how much training is involved in getting a non-competent user to a competent level.

@jdwii

What you were talking about was the sudo command, which I vehemently despise. It's supposed to be there for a non-privileged user to run a single command as root with then having to authenticate each time. It was never supposed to be the entire means of administrating a system but unfortunately modern Linux distro's seem to think it's a good idea to strip root privileges away from the user. The proper way should be su - root and then go about doing all the things you need to do before exiting back to the user environment. Last time I used Ubunto I remember having to go in and reenable the root account so I could assume a full root environment.

In Unix we don't force our administrators to use safety scissors and plastic cutlery.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Are you suggesting to leave this thread open for you and others to post nonsense such as "linux is not suitable OS because it breaks mobos" without receiving a reply?

Then let me reply.

If you did read my previous post. I said that she uses both photoshop and GIMP, because each one has advantages. She used GIMP for that work, because it offered she some advanced functions beyond Photoshop... In case you don't believe it, here a basic review of GIMP that mentions how in some areas GIMP actually outshines Photoshop

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/169620-gimp-review-no-longer-a-crippled-alternative-to-photoshop

You can write "lol" so many times as you want, but the advanced functions that GIMP offers to professionals in the field will not disappear, neither the CD cover mentioned before.

Linux is already the most used OS in the planet. For each person using Windows, three persons use linux, or something as that. Toms wrote an article about it. Thus you don't need to speculate about if linux will be popular or not.

I have given you a link explaining why the whole Hollywood industry switched to linux. Their reasons were:

Hollywood prefers to use Linux instead of other operating systems, like Windows or Macintosh, for three simple reasons: it's better, faster and cheaper.

It seems you missed "better" and "faster". Some days ago the international station has switched to linux. The reasons were "stability" and "reliability"

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/155392-international-space-station-switches-from-windows-to-linux-for-improved-reliability

People using massively linux in servers is not by "licensing fee's", as you pretend, but because linux is more stable, fast, and reliable than Windows Server

http://www.pcworld.com/article/204423/why_linux_beats_windows_for_servers.html

I have given you a pair of links showing why modern linux distros are easier than modern Windows. Moreover, I know this is true both by personal experience and by hundred of people who I know. You can continue to negate it, and you can say me funny histories about command line, but it is not going to change reality.

As mentioned before, almost everyone using a phone or a tablet is using linux. Thus, your claim that linux is harder to use than windows, and that average Joe cannot use linux is plain false... once again.

It is a good thing that you laugh at linux geeks who hate Microsoft, now you only need to laugh at Windows fanboys who hate linux.

Installing drivers is much easier in linux than in Windows, specially since most of them are pre-installed and hardware is automatically detected, whereas on Windows you often need to use some CD/DVD or search and download the drivers online. I have installed same printer under both Windows and Linux. On Windows I had to use a CD given by the hardware maker, and wasted my time installing. On linux I connected the USB cable, power on the printer, and it was automatically detected; a pop up window asked me if the model was correctly detected. Click "yes" and it was automatically installed and working.

Same situation for installing USB modem. Under Windows I have to install proprietary software provided by the internet provider. If I change the internet company. I have to desinstall it and install another proprietary software, which works differently and I have to learn. Linux detects automatically and even pre-select the network settings from a list of suppliers for my country. WOW!

And it is a real pain when the hardware maker doesn't gives the drivers for your version of Windows, as people knows:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194538/dude_wheres_my_windows_7_print_driver.html

Ok?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Interesting article

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/3051-future-intel.html

Next part confirms what I said about Intel being in serious trouble due to empty fabs:

On the other hand only a few quarters ago there were widespread reports that utilization at Intel’s fabs was only 60%. In recent financial announcements Intel has claimed 80% but that is still lower than they would like. Intel also has their 14nm process coming on-line in the ramping Fab 11x and they have fab 42 ready to turn on for 14nm production. Intel needs to find a way to fill these fabs and keep them full or they will be facing a serious cost crisis and longer term have difficulty funding their continued lead in process technology.

I hate to be always wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.