AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 489 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9242048/Windows_8_surpasses_Vista_s_uptake_rate_10_months_after_launch

Although Windows 8's 10-month user share is larger than Vista's, it remains far behind Windows 7's at the same point in the latter's roll-out. Ten months after Windows 7's October 2009 launch, the OS had accumulated a 17.3% share of all Windows PCs -- more than double Windows 8's.

Windows 8 10 month market share was ahead of Vista. How is that a lower adoption rate than Vista?

Windows 7 was obviously better. It was a great OS that didn't even really need SP1 and 8 is as well.

As well, the main problem with the method is it uses website visits to track which means the data could easily be skewed, unlike say how Steam does it by gathering information right from the computer once instead of every PC as it visits a web page, considering most people are on dynamic IPs it could easily skew the results if they visit it multiple times with a different IP.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

That is what linux main philosophy is about: choice.

What I find 'cute' is how some people call fanboy to other whereas he is proud of how he can do something in his newest version of Windows, when the 'new' feature has been available to linux users since four or five years ago, such as the ability to double click an ISO file to mount it.

We agree. They are to gaming consoles what first clone PCs were to proprietary desktops.

Most popular OS on Steam is W7 64b with 50%. W7 32b is 12%. All windows 8 versions (8.0 and 8.1 for both 32b and 64b) combined are 22%. This is odd considering that new windows is pre-installed in almost any new PC purchased in store.

No. I am not talking about advanced users, who can change their desktop environment by another and can personalize it to do it unique in the world. I am talking about average Joe and Jane. I have installed linux in average Joe and Jane PCs and they got how to manage it in a pair of days. Grandma also finds it easy to use. They don't know what hardware is inside their box and never used console to install anything.

Linux is simpler than W7 and of course simpler than W8. You are repeating a myth spread by Windows users or fans. In fact the immense majority of people in the world is not using Windows anymore, but linux, which is pre-installed in their phone/tablet.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

how i see linux
you : its open source
I : its free
you : freedom of software, get source code and compile it as you want
I : you mean its free we just have to do is dasrjoirghdjghaiohtoaewrtalkn...!!! :??:
:p

the only reason xp lost to w8 is because xp does not support above dx9.c
and adaptation rate of w8 is skeptical as almost every new laptop and desktop comes with w8 pre installed and users ( who don't own any other window) don't want to spend more bucks for another window
i suspect that most of the w8 copies are oem or are cause or or under some offer or discount or just plain fanboyism

thats why i still don't use linux

is it as simple as next> i accept > next > next > finish :whistle:

android is simple because i just have to click on any apk file to install it, i don't need to install additional codec to play songs, i don't need to compile anything, just download and next > next > finish :p

8350rocks

Distinguished

Well, many people know that the underpinnings of the console OSes are mostly highly modified FreeBSD, or some other OS...(even M$ did not try to get much, if any, of windows into their console).

Additionally, there is some hope that steam boxes will take off, and further...there are MANY people out there who game on windows but boot into another OS to do ANYTHING else. Those people could be free of windows..

Lastly, a LARGE portion of the developers out there are NOT using windows. Sure there are some windows machines around...but there are a good sized chunk of guys not using windows.

Plus, do you think a guy running Linux/OSX would not pay the same money for the same triple A game that a windows user would?

jdwii

Splendid

define simple? What percentage of usage does steam have using linux today right now?

currently, amd is rolling out their new low cost AM1 platform motherboards and socketed kabini socs. nothing new on excavator or carrizo. most of the recent benches are of mantle (bf4 and thief) performing with kaveri, fx and intel cpus.

anandtech has reviewed three socket fm2+ motherboards recently:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7914/msi-a88xme35-review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7876/gigabyte-f2a88xup4-review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7865/asrock-fm2a88x-extreme6-review

toms did a roundup of a88x motherboards. you'll find that article in the motherboards section.

jdwii

Splendid
Using the dolphin benchmark my processor(Thuban) is 12% slower than a 7850K when both are clocked at 3.9Ghz with turbo off both did the test around 14:26 vs 12:55 for the 7850K and the wii does it in 17:53.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
the bank i'm working for "just" moved to windows 7, that's a couple of thousand workstations. linux will never overtake windows at least in the corporate world but it's pretty viable with devs supporting it in the gaming segment.

i'd love to see socket am1. my oldman is still using a D-series atom i gifted him 3 years ago.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Ironically corporate america is where Linux has the strongest foothold. You would not believe some of the MASSIVE entities that run on Linux servers...there are LARGE portions of our government alone that run on them. Individual workstations may be another animal, but the US Govt runs a LOT of Linux, so does the DoD...as well as lots of other large entities.

Ironically corporate america is where Linux has the strongest foothold. You would not believe some of the MASSIVE entities that run on Linux servers...there are LARGE portions of our government alone that run on them. Individual workstations may be another animal, but the US Govt runs a LOT of Linux, so does the DoD...as well as lots of other large entities.

Yes and No. Corporates and DoD doesn't "use Linux", they use solutions. Private companies that provide those solutions decided to go with a Linux based OS as the OS for that solution. Remember Linux is not an Operating System, it's just a Kernel that tends to be paired with the GNU software base. The vender is paid money to support those solutions.

jdwii

Splendid

No way if true linux has no future. WOW

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Except Microsoft contradicts you:

Indeed, at the keynote, Microsoft's Development Manager for Graphics, Anuj Gosalia, made no mention of Mantle. He stated that "engineers at Microsoft and GPU manufacturers have been working at this for some time," and he added that D3D12 was "designed closely with game developers."

With both AMD and game developers contradicting Microsoft:

I then talked with Ritche Corpus, AMD's Software Alliances and Developer Relations Director. Corpus told me that AMD shared its work on Mantle with Microsoft "from day one" and that parts of Direct3D 12 are "very similar" to AMD's API. I asked if D3D12's development had begun before Mantle's. Corpus' answer: "Not that we know." Corpus explained that, when AMD was developing Mantle, it received no feedback from game developers that would suggest AMD was wasting its time because a similar project was underway at Microsoft. I recalled that, at AMD's APU13 event in November 2013, EA DICE's Johan Andersson expressed a desire to use Mantle "everywhere and on everything." Those are perhaps not the words I would have used if I had known D3D12 was right around the corner.

http://techreport.com/review/26239/a-closer-look-at-directx-12

8350rocks

Distinguished

Actually, considering the amount of "solutions" being used worldwide with Linux that go completely under the radar of most people you would be amazed. Most European governments use Linux solutions now, including ALL of Spain and Germany, as well as China, and most of the rest of the world. The only bastion where MS has a significantly strong presence is with small cap corporations that do not seek more customized solutions. For example, the majority of Wall Street banks do not use windows based solutions.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

ya .. Linux is on top ... with just over 1%.

love how we went full circle back to this topic.

Trying to use the amazon's top seller argument would be like saying one device sells 3000/month while 50 windows devices only sell 1500/month. That makes the one device a top seller and that's it. It means nothing for market share.

Total that one device is still 3000/month while the total windows devices would amount to 75,000/month.

jdwii

Splendid

My point is linux is huge in other countries, plus why pay for something when you can get it for free a lot of businesses can't afford windows server. Lol the place i work at use fog software with ubuntu....trolls.

This is not quite true. While the Xbox and 360 have their own OS that uses some things from Windows, the XB1 does use a Windows 8 based kernel with a custom Xbox OS on top of that and a third OS that makes them communicates together.

The majority of people who prefer to use OSX are not normally gamers. At my last job, the only guys who did use OSX/Linux were pretty much the typical trendy jerks who would once in a while use a console to play a game but were way more into their "photography".

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Less than 1%.

And Linux is not simple. As I said, most require you to launch a admin command prompt and every time you want to do a admin command sudo and enter the password. As well drivers require the GUI, in most, to be turned off then you run the install.

I am sure there are versions that are more simplistic, I haven't looked into SteamOS as I would expect VALVe to make it more simplistic for users but it still doesn't make it more simplistic for normal users.

Only that that rumored R9 295X was real per a AMD posted video. AMD is not doing much right now.

That is mostly desktop I would think. Most phones are probably Android but I am honestly tired of Android and my next phone will probably be a WP8 or 9 depending on what is out when I am up for an upgrade.

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

How is 1.2% less than 1%?

That's simply not true. I've been using OpenSuse for many years now, and installing drivers is as simple as clicking on a link. I'm sure Ubuntu and most of the user friendly distros are similarly simple.

Linux is plenty simple these days. It's just different to Windows, so takes a bit of getting used to. That's no different to migrating to OS X. Even system updates on OpenSuse don't require a password any more as long as you set it up the default way.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Android has its problems, mainly keeping memory usage under control.

Linux is anything but trouble free. How many windows os's have destroyed motherboards just by loading itself?

http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/482858-Booting-Linux-using-UEFI-can-brick-Samsung-laptops

My last personal experience with linux was anything but pleasant. When I got tired of fighting with it, trying to reformat my hdd, windows saw it as a -8 gb drive instead of the 640gb that it was. Ya thats correct, negative 8gb. I finally sent it to seagate for warranty after low level formatting it 4 times trying to fix it.

in short, an os shouldn't be able to so easily destroy hardware. Thats whats keeping me from trying it again.

8350rocks

Distinguished

+1, My mother is not technologically savvy in any way, and she can run ubuntu 12.04 LTS and do EVERYTHING she needs with ease. In fact, I get fewer calls to remote her desktop and solve an issue now than I did when she was running windows 7...and THAT was with windows 7!!!! I took one look at windows 8 when it came time to update her OS, and knew that I would get "can you please fix this" calls every other day. With windows 7 it was about once a week, and with ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I get MAYBE one a month.

In short, if my mother can figure out ubuntu, but you cannot...then you have technology issues, or refuse to actually use the software. She even finds the ubuntu app finder setup EASIER than windows was, and loves the fact that she can get USEFUL software for free...

My 8 year old niece can even run the old PC I gave her to mess around on with Linux just fine. The issue is not one of complexity, or even difficulty, I think the issue lies in lack of effort.

Not trying to be mean, but seriously, my mother could not figure out MS Outlook and made a yahoo account instead because she felt it was easier and more intuitive to use...yet she can operate ubuntu to play music, check her email, etc. I even walked her through updating security over the phone and she watched me on her desktop, so she can now run the security update from the menu.

Ubuntu is easily the most user friendly version of Linux available, and I would argue it might just be the most user friendly OS on the market. In fact, they are going to offer a phone OS, and I will probably switch wholesale over to that from android for congruency of devices.

Problem with Linux isn't its usability for a casual user, its when you want to run software a more advance user would want. Depending on the software, it either doesn't exist or the open source equivalent of said software is nowhere as robust as the windows version.

If you want to do any productivity in content creation, linux isn't really an option. If you want to play new games, linux is a terrible option as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.