Question Every game stutters in some way, can't find a fix

Mar 24, 2024
I've been stuggling with stutters in every single game on my PC for about six months. I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing seems to help.
The stutters started seemingly out of nowhere, because I hadn't changed any part in my PC for a long time and only updates I did were just windows updates and GPU driver updates. It's also only visual, audio works as it should. I've also noticed stutters when scrolling through apps like Spotify and Steam. Playing competitive games is very frustrating since the stutters sometimes screw up my aim. Any help is appreciated, and let me know if you need more info! :)

Here are some examples:
Escape from Tarkov
Snowrunner
ASTRONEER

What I have tried:
Fresh windows install 2 times
Swapped every single part in my PC
Tried with temporary build* with spare parts
Switched outlet
Tried DOCP off and on
Tried Ram in different slots and 1 at a time with 3 different kits
Unplugged front USB connector
G SYNC on and off
Tried different Nvidia control panel settings
Tried running with 1 monitor plugged with both monitors
Tried with fTPM on and off
Tried with game mode and hardware acceleration on and off in windows settings
Cleared CMOS
Unplugged keyboard, mouse and headset
Tried with different mouse, keyboard and headset
Disabled Nvidia & Steam overlays
Deleted Razer Synapse
Delete Geforce Experience
Deleted GPU drivers with DDU and reinstalled newest, also tried older versions from before the stutters started
Tried changing OS to 2 different drives

What has helped:
Disabled ASUS LightningService (the stutters were unbearable before I disabled this)
Deleted Armouty Crate

Current build:
CPU
: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (OS drive)

Storage:
Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair RM750 (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (under 3 years old, bought new)

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home

*Temporary build:
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card

Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (5 years old, bought new)

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Ralston18

Titan
Stutter sources or reasons may be discoverable by using Task Manager, Resource Manager, and Process Explorer.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool window and leave it visible while browsing, working, gaming etc. as usual.

Watch for what changes when the stutters start and stop.

May take some time and effort to work out the process but stick with it.

As a general observation I would suspect that 5 year old 2019 PSU. PSU may be at or nearing its' build in EOL (End of Life). Especially with a history of heavy gaming use.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everything and everywhere for signs of damage.

Mar 24, 2024
Stutter sources or reasons may be discoverable by using Task Manager, Resource Manager, and Process Explorer.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool window and leave it visible while browsing, working, gaming etc. as usual.

Watch for what changes when the stutters start and stop.

May take some time and effort to work out the process but stick with it.

As a general observation I would suspect that 5 year old 2019 PSU. PSU may be at or nearing its' build in EOL (End of Life). Especially with a history of heavy gaming use.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everything and everywhere for signs of damage.

I noticed that sometimes when I got stutters, I got hard page faults in the memory tab in resource monitor, but not always.

My current PSU is under 3 years old and it's still under warranty, though I'm fairly sure that it's not the problem since it persisted with the other PSU as well.

I've cleaned my PC multiple times and checked every single connection and part for damage, but everything seemed normal.

By the way, in the videos I linked, do you notice anything off about the statistics? I'm not sure what changes I should look out for there so it would help.

Ralston18

Titan
Page faults.

Disk drive(s) - specs noted.....

How full are the drives?

Is Windows managing virtual memory?

For the record and full disclosure, I rarely watch posted videos. Reasons vary with circumstances.

Look for other happenings that correspond with the time of the hard page faults.

Other happenings may be found in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer.