AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 516 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

corrected :p

i didn't thought that english will be so hard language :peur: , seems like its time for me to join some english classes
here it is ( EnglishClassesJoinedTogether ) :whistle:
now i think i studied enough english to understand your question
so you want me to predict the amount of ram that you hypothetical apus will offer
if yes then considering cpu cores, igpu (better than "hawai") and iram on same die then we won't see ram size in double digits till 2020 even if we use hbm v2 or 3
all these things on same die without burning a hole in your cabinet and pocket/wallet/debit/credit card

using hbm in graphics cards is viable choice as it decreases the number of potato chips that surrounds the gpu dies on a card
they are not producing gpu die with iram ( not apple's thing :p )
and this is what you are saying in your hypothetical apus, apus with on die tons of iram with volcanos of Hawaii

i don't know if roy is pulling your legs :mouais: , if not then you can use difference of qdr and ddr to explain gddr5 and ddr3's difference

i'm not. i just want to know why he thinks gddr5 is advanced enough that it is "beyond" ddr3 while available info says different (but not essentially otherwise). memory standards and architectures follow incremental evolution just like most of technology. to be "beyond", gddr5 has to possess something extra-ordinary compared to ddr3. afaik, it doesn't. gddr5 is like a application-specific, branch-evolution of ddr (not to confuse with ddr3).

I'll answer for him: Sony chose to go with GDDR5 because they need to feed the GPU, which in this case is an APU. DDR3 is simply to slow to feed GPU's.

8350rocks

Distinguished
juan:

Where is your factual basis for making the ASSUMPTION that a 100W ARM core will do more than a 100W x86 core?

Where is the analyzed proof? I ask, because I have never seen a 100W ARM core, so much less would I expect anyone to have fabbed one up, even an ES, just to run some real world tests.

Essentially what you are saying is based on your highly skewed opinion, with no basis on any factually indisputable evidence, a 100W ARM core will outperform a 100W x86 core.

Let us be fair, as you tend to point out speculation from EVERYONE BUT YOURSELF...then provide your skewed opinion as fact.

i know that. but that doesn't somehow make gddr5 much more advanced than ddr3. gddr5 was used because it was advantageous for that specific purpose.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Wrong ram size. This show again that you did spread FUD about hardware that you don't understand.

Not a good idea, because GDDR5 is not quad data rate. Both DDR3 and GDDR5 are... double data rate. :sarcastic:

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I already said that to him:

I also gave him PS4 memory bandwidth in GB/s and explained him why GDDR5 can provide double throughput than DDR3. He continues without understanding why I said that DDR is slow than GDDR5.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

First let me do this clear: there is no problem with your speculations, even when 9 out of each 10 they are wrong or nonsense. The problem is when you present your own speculations are if were official claims from AMD or when you present them here as "my-friend-at-AMD said so, trust me".

Once said that, let us on topic. I already explained to you why ARM chips have the potential to be faster than x86 chips. I gave several details, from hardware details such as registers or decoders to mentioning software stuff such as advanced compiler optimizations. This discussion is old and goes back to when you wrote lots of nonsense about RISC vs CISC. Much before A57 was benchmarked I predicted here which would be its performance. I compared it to several Opteron and FX chips. And benchmarks show that I was right once again.

More recently I gave you relevant quotes from the K12 chief architect:

Presumably, these sister x86 and ARM cores will perform about the same, but they evidently are not just two variants of the same microarchitecture adapted to different ISAs. Keller was very complimentary about the ARMv8 ISA in his talk, saying it has more registers and "a proper three-operand instruction set." He noted that ARMv8 doesn't require the same instruction decoding hardware as an x86 processor, leaving more room to concentrate on performance. Keller even outright said that "the way we built ARM is a little different from x86" because it "has a bigger engine." I take that to mean AMD's ARM-compatible microarchitecture is somewhat wider than its sister, x86-compatible core. We'll have to see how that difference translates into performance in the long run.

And:

Given what Keller and Papermaster shared, the answer seems quite obvious. If AMD were only offering A57-based parts like Seattle, it might have trouble standing out, but we're talking now about a full-fledged, next-generation processor worthy of the Opteron name. [...] If it enables the folks building data centers to get the same sort of per-thread performance from ARM-based servers that they can from x86 processors, the K12 could obviate the need for x86 CPUs almost entirely. It could help key a dramatic transition from a single dominant ISA to two competing options—or it might even spark a longer transition away from the Intel-dominated x86 world to one ruled by the more open and expansive ARM ecosystem.

I have been saying this kind of stuff since last year. I already knew this stuff before Keller said.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Jaguar provides between 92% and 98% of the IPC of Steamroller and between 103% and 113% of the IPC of Piledriver

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/174980-its-time-for-amd-to-take-a-page-from-intel-and-dump-steamroller

Considering that AMD admits that A57 core produces about the 136% of jaguar. This implies that the standard A57 core already produces a much higher IPC than Piledriver.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

That's nice that you think AMD's first generation ARMv8 core will be able to compete with Apples 4th generation, and Qualcomm's 3rd generation ARMv8 core.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

And Jaguar is missing the 8MB L3 cache that Seattle adds.

8350rocks

Distinguished

EXACTLY! But do not let Juan see...he will try to dismiss it as something you made up...

Juan, in June I will be going to AMD HQ. I will not be able to discuss any of the things I talk about there, however, I will most likely have some pics to share so you can see that I do not know anyone at AMD first hand :p

It can't be more advanced then DDR3 as it's the same technology. GDDR5 is nothing but DDR3 technology enhanced for graphics usage. It writes two words per cycle vs DDR3's single word and has a prefetch buffer along with a different channel configuration. DDR3 is 64-bit per channel while GDDR5 is 32-bit. Because of how close to the chip it is GDDR5 is often configured is 4~16x channel configurations which allows for obscene bandwidths but does nothing for the latency. Both DDR3 and GDDR5 run at about the same clock speed. Oh and GDDR5 has a much higher command latency then DDR3 which isn't a big deal with GPU's but can be a huge problem with CPU's.

jdwii

Splendid

Thanks for the link that site shows indeed just that.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

DDR3 has 1 differential clock; CK, data is transferred on both the rising and falling edge of CK. Ex:

DDR3-2133 has CK of 1.066Ghz. 2x1.066Ghz gives 2.133GT/pin, 2.133GTx64bits (DIMM) = 136 Gbit/s / 8(b/B) = 17GB/s

GDDR5 has 2 differential clocks (technically 3 but for reasons of simplicity), CK, WCK, data is transferred on both the rising and falling edge of WCK and WCK is 2x the CK frequency. Ex:

GDDR5 with a CK of 1.375Ghz, 2x1.375Ghz = WCK = 2.75Ghz, 2x2.75Ghz = 5.5GT/pin, 5.5GTx64bits = 352Gb/s / 8(b/B) = 44 GB/s

Now both PS4 and XB1 have 256bit memory interfaces, so multiply by 4.
PS4 = 4x44GB/s = 176 GB/s
XB1 = 4x17GB/s = 68 GB/s

In short its due to the extra clock doubling from CK->WCK. And in general the confusion comes from the practice of listing the "effective clock frequency" instead of the true clock frequencies.

Note that WCK of 2.75Ghz is why the maximum frequency of PS4 was listed at 2.75Ghz for the FCC filing.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

:chaudar: am i supposed to give right answer for something which is wrong
i was almost sure to be wrong because i don't agree with you on such a hypothetical apu :kaola:
thus as its your fud of exascale apu so you should tell us these things :fille:
so tell us what your hypothetical apu will be (tell us the numbers)
atleast tell me these things cpu core count, gpu core count, gpu arch, cpu arch, iram, tdp, die size, cost per die so that we can have something more comparable even if its complete fud :foudtag:

read the posts from cazalan and palladin to see why i called your "explanations" so inadequate and kept asking for details.

The entire API approach is wrong, frankly. I believe OGL is fundamentally unfixable. Therefore, a new API is needed to replace it.

And that latency is the tradeoff. Sony can get away with it by keeping a lighter OS though, but if you tried GDDR5 on a Windows platform...can't imagine it would be pretty.

Embra

Distinguished
Adaptive-Sync will become standard for the DisplayPort 1.2a specification
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/12/amds-project-freesync-gets-momentum-as-adaptive-sync-gets-added-to-displayport-spec/

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I am optimistic because the team responsible for the Bulldozer architecture was fired and the new team is leaded by Keller, who has developed successful x86 (at AMD) and ARM architectures (at Apple).

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I have several benchmarks showing an ARM core beating jaguar cores without using L3 cache, but I will leave both of you believing otherwise.

What? Are you saying that you will not return here to say us how they said you that AMD is going to release a HEDT 16-core Steamroller CPU at 5GHz on magical FD-SOI 20nm for the new AM4 platform that you found in the chinese site? I am a bit disappointed. :sarcastic:

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

You are supposed to know some basic facts about the hardware on which you are commenting on.

You have shown you have no idea of which is the memory size of that hardware, but this didn't stop you from spreading FUD about the hardware being unable (in your imagination) to store game data for 8k. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.