AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 524 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I can promise you that then I will have better slides to share. :sarcastic:

Have you considered that the AMD slide is repeated because there is a bunch of posters that continue pretending that it doesn't exist, that AMD doesn't think that, and that AMD never said that?

If they stop pretending that AMD never said "ARM will win", then the "ARM will win" slide from AMD doesn't need to be linked again. It is easy, isn't?

Before someone misinterpret my words again, I want to do it clear that people here can disagree with the AMD slide, what I cannot accept is the pretension of some that the AMD claim is from mine and not from an AMD slide. It is called false attribution.

FUD link was discussed above. As I mentioned then FUD got wrong some aspects of the x86 core. I also gave a link with more accurate info, check it here

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-265#13321573

FUD got the hint about abandoning CMT from other source, which itself got it from another source, which said me that Keller is abandoning the CMT architecture.

FUD claim about CMT was already covered in other sites before

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20140510165441_AMD_to_Introduce_New_High_Performance_Micro_Architecture_in_2015_Report.html

Not a lot of details about the new micro-architecture are known at present. What is recognized for sure is that it will drop CMT in favour of some kind of SMT (something akin to Intel’s HyperThreading) technology to improve performance in both single-threaded and multi-threaded cases.

The XbitLABS link and the quote were given by me two or three pages ago. And it was then commented by some here.

About your suggestion about using 3 integer ALUs per core... it is entirely possible, but I have a die shot that shows 4 integer ALUs per core. I would expect AMD to maintain that design. Time will say which is the final architecture.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I partially replied you before, but I found a link that explains the same much better and adds on stuff that I didn't consider.

im tired of this myth

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

If true (very big "if"), then this is very interesting. Could explain the strange delay for the mobile version, which is where Kaveri should shine as opposed to the desktop.(*) Shame there's no detail as to what the hybrid version would bring above and beyond a standalone Steamroller.

If true (very big pinch of salt), then anyone willing to take a bet that a standalone Excavator CPU or APU doesn't appear at all?

(*) Of course, another reason for the delay is that they couldn't shift all the mobile Trinities and Richlands already in the channel quick enough.

[Edit] "If true": looks like this story is based off of some poorly translated, possibly misinterpreted interview. Move along, nothing to see here.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Sounds like another strange story created by WCCF's incompetence. Just ignore this.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Funny comment because the same site has another article where they claim to have info from Glofo about Excavator being on track. I mentioned before to you that Excavator is not canceled but coming in Carrizo and Toronto APUs, but by some strange reason you seem to want AMD to cancel Excavator.(*) I wonder why?

(*) Recently someone at SA also claimed that Excavator was canceled.

it's not entirely impossible with the magic of ....
marketing.
remember how trinity got it's vce from the gcn igpus but shaders were vliw4? vishera uses jaguar's branch predictor? chances are, amd found something they could implement early from carrizo/excavator and put it in mobile kaveri. i'm guessing it's the connected standby or something power management related.
take rumors with a grain of NaCl.
and really, wccefghionlyparrotmistranslatednewsoftech.com isn't that reliable. they get things right, very randomly.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Can you provide source to that about branch predictor? I'm just curious.

Transfering components between different cores is normal practice (like Pentium 4 and Pentium M). I doubt that mobile cores are different than desktop ones. Probably front-end could be slightly changed.

i am parrotting (at least i admit to doing that :whistle:) this article
http://www.realworldtech.com/jaguar/2/

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

I've simply made the observation that Excavator used to appear in AMD's roadmap but is no longer there. (I don't post over at SA, if that's what you're implying, by the way.) I would rather AMD devote it's constrained resources to developing something decent. There's an old saying that I go by: "If a hole is in the wrong place, then no amount of digging will put it in the right place."

While I may rage against them, and while I remain sceptical about 8350rocks' insider information about a new HEDT line, I want AMD to succeed. I want a good upgrade from my 1055T that has good single AND multi-core performance and which doesn't make me moist. (My box sits under my desk and kicks out too much heat as it is.) I've been using AMD exclusively in my rigs since 1997, but I'm struggling to justify my next upgrade not being an Intel chip, as I'm a lot wealthier than I was as a student!

8350rocks

Distinguished
Juanrga is the perfect candidate for a reason to have an ignore button.

Juan, ARM will never win, for the same reason that Linux will likely never "win" on PCs. Because x86/Windows is far too deeply seated. ARM cannot do anything that x86 cannot. Power Consumption? Who cares? Nobody in the entire US (the most devices per capita in the world) cares anything about power consumption at home. In mobile devices? Sure, they hate to have their battery die...but what has that accomplished? Bigger batteries in smart phones...that is what.

My point is, argue all you want about power efficiency, however, once it scales to HEDT levels of performance and full x86 capability of operations, and your power consumption argument goes out the window. Then you have the argument about IPC...ARM will not offer more IPC than x86 while running the heavy tasks x86 was designed to do.

So, stop posting that stupid slide that means nothing, and get your head out of the stupid clouds. I love linux, but even I know the best it can reasonably hope for is equal footing with windows, and that would be a MASSIVE coup in and of itself (in consumer space, it is already ahead of windows in commercial servers).

So...stop your ARM crusade. Everyone here is entirely tired of it. Honestly if this forum had an ignore feature, this thread might be 20 pages shorter because most of the people here would have put you on ignore a LONG time ago.

Why not go troll the Intel guys...? Because they are mostly uneducated on the subject matter? Because they do not care? Go do something more productive, like rearranging your sock drawer.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Explain to me then why it doesn't matter what browser you use, how many different ways you tell the webpage to redirect to DT site, it doesn't work.

It may not be the OS's fault directly but these stupid websites that detect the OS and see a "MOBILE OS" are making android even worse. why would I buy a 10" or larger tablet to view mobile websites?

http://www.brightmillionaire.com/articles/opinions/133-why-mobile-sites-suck
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/06/15/survey-shows-major-sites-not-detecting-android-tablets-mobile-sites-suck/

While using their suggestions of Dolphin browser HD, it does work sometimes. Toms forum section (yes, the homepage works fine on DT) and anandtech are 2 examples where you CANT GET DESKTOP VIEW at all, ever. Even at that the mobile view of this forum is broken, after you login, the reply button is gone.

Like I said, it may not be the os's fault directly but these mobile only for android os websites are making android less desirable.

Its the same as trying to force people into buying mobile devices because you refuse to make a desktop computer. lets force the world into mobile everything all at once without thinking of the alternative that already exists. Windows 8 was designed around mobile, shrinking cpus in favor of clock speed is designed around mobile, low power this, low power that, lets not talk about overall performance anymore.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

+Agree. Open an ARM vs x86 thread. This is just another Console vs PC type debate which is rather pointless. There have been no new arguments but rather endless repetition.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

May be unrelated but on a PC if you zoom (Ctrl+) the web page too close the reply button goes away too. I tend to sit a bit far away from my PC sometimes. If you zoom out some it returns (Ctrl-).

you're not getting away so easily. you'll be continuously spammed with promo slides simply because of simple disagreement. the expected result is your complete exhaustion and subsequent agreement. No Prisoners Will Be Taken......!Dun!Dun!Dun!!!:pt1cable::lol:

edit:
full disclosure/claimer: i'm just paraphrasing. :whistle:

edit2:
inb4 i get flamed. here are some mandatory on-topic stuff. thank you amd!

AMD launches Bald Eagle the 2nd generation of R-Series embedded APUs
http://semiaccurate.com/2014/05/20/amd-launches-bald-eagle-2nd-generation-r-series-embedded-apus/

Report: AMD to license SATAe tech from ASMedia
http://techreport.com/news/26485/report-amd-to-license-satae-tech-from-asmedia
hmm... will carrizo's mobos get this or a new, high end platform.... this seems like a good indicator for a new chipset.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

woah ...just tried that. ... zooming in to that point ... that's the exact look of the mobile page all of a sudden, top header changes and everything.

Anandtech does it too. seems that its a screen resolution reporting/zoom problem rather than full idiot mobile.

but ... why doesn't toms home page do it too... instead its a full mobile page vs dt page.

The point is: Android is perfectly capable of displaying the page properly. The problem is with the browser software and website design.

Which is sad, since websites just are defined in plain text with clearly defined rules; its kinda sad honestly.

The title of the thread IS "AMD CPU Speculation". Annoying and stupid as it is, it falls within the confines of the thread topic.

As an aside: Can we all now agree that the quote chains are idiotic? Bring back the "old" style of only quoting the text where teh quote button was hit. Or better yet: proper selectable multi-quote support.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

This is not an issue of android or any other browser app
its because of responsive design of tom's site
which sucks like bulldozer
to confirm that its tom's related, just decrease size of your browser's windows to that of a phone's size (800x480 pixels or less), and then you will see that "responsive design" started kicking in
if you browse some website which don't use responsive design ( for example, mbasic.facebook.com or the site that is in my sig) then you will not see any of these interface changes that occurs while regression window
so its not andrioird's fault, its resposive design's fault which adapts itself to screen sizes at runtime and devices

the old design was good, as it never gave problems like this, i liked to browse tom's (old design (desktop)) even on my java based phone, i always used to browse toms forum desktop site on my mobile, and it always showed me toms desktop forum and front page (just needed to choose desktop site once in the beginning or after clearing cookie) , the only problem with the old theme was that it always used to show some error message after posting a reply (though it didn't affected any reply in anyway) and i think that there was some bug in monthly ranking system, but these problem were manageable
i never liked this new design of tom's
i indeed (almost) left browsing toms because of this crap design/theme (currently i am browsing toms (i will say that i give toms about only 1% of time in comparison to previous theme of toms) just because i like toms, thus didn't fully gave up on browsing toms and that only means that i am compromising and not adapting or enjoying to this ugly looking theme)

new theme sucks in many places
for example
first, that you have mentioned
second, it logs me out very frequently
third, the crappy quoting system ( hit like if you agree :p )
forth, its look, its look makes me feel retard, very annoying
fifth, the signature style, the "favorite quote" thing (which we used to see below avatar's), the user profile section
sixth, the messed up badge system
seventh, due to excess javascript, this new design isn't good for opera mini browser which i use to browse net
and many more

i would be very happy to get back the old theme
even i would be happy to see ads too,
just give me the whole old themed toms (actually, ads serves as a feature, because it gives me my recently browsed things, for example, if i browsed for a graphics card on some eCommerce site, then it will show me that card in ads, and i can browse that card's page without typing any word, which saves me time and effort, you can say it serves something like caching)

and that restarting issue is usually because of low free RAM, try opera mini as it uses less ram

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The title of this thread is "AMD CPU speculation"; therefore, any speculation, slide, benchmark, quote, link, or opinion about AMD future products is on-topic.

I will continue speculating, giving info, links, slides, quotes,... about AMD hardware, both x86 and ARM. If tomorrow I want discuss about Excavator I will do. If I want discuss about AMD SBSA, I will do. If I want discuss about future FX x86 CPUs I will do. If I want discuss about Keller K12 core I will do.

Recently I have shared links about new AMD products: new R-Series APUs, AMD licensing SATA Express IP, and hints to new GCN 2.0. Did you comment on any of it? No. You are showing your real interest in this thread.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

something like a "block" feature of facebook
so that we can partially block those who we don't want to see

here partially means that if we block some one on toms then all their posts to us should be automatically spoiler-ed ( or spoilerified) so that we don't see their post every time we scroll thus making it easy to avoid them

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

You pretended above that ARM cannot be discussed in this thread, despite being an important part of AMD CPU products, but then you ignore what you said and post about ARM! My dictionary has a word for it.

The link that you share is saying something completely different to what you imagine.

Nvidia original plans for commodity phones/tablets failed because the competence is very hard.(*) Nvidia is changing Tegra strategy away from commodity phones/tablets and towards embedded (cars) and consoles. The original interview to Nvidia CEO and more data about their change of strategy can be found here

http://www.cnet.com/news/nvidia-ceo-sees-future-in-cars-and-gaming-q-a/

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34714-nvidia-changes-tegra-strategy

This hard competence is the reason why AMD is not developing phones, it is the reason why Temash didn't win tablet designs, and it is the reason why Mullins is not winning many tablet designs

http://vr-zone.com/articles/mullins-cant-find-design-wins/77479.html

(*) Intel is losing billions per quarter trying to enter on that market.

jdwii

Splendid

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.