Question Asus ZenWiFi AX (XT8) cuts download speed by at least half with QoS ?

markm75

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Asus ZenWiFi AX (XT8) cuts download speed by at least half with QoS.
Without QoS it's still 17-20%, xfinity comcast?

For months i've noticed that my download speeds with comcast were no where near 800 (and now i have gigabit as well), always around 450 mbps or so. I assumed it was an issue with comcast and even had techs out.

Today i tried something, i took the router out of the picture and connected directly to my pc, i was around 1025 mbps every time, no issue.

So then i reconnected tested again, still 450. I looked in the settings and realized i had qos on, i turned it off, now the speeds are more like 850 to 900 (especially if you use the tool in the router admin area), but can avg 799 or so when using online checkers (the same checker that said 1025 direct connect).

I then tried toggling other settings in the router and couldnt find one to give back that missing ~17% or so.
When i did the 2nd router test after qos was off, i checked traffic for wifi and other things and found it was minimal or none, so that wasnt part of the pull.

Anyone else noticed this issue, or found a work around, or is the qos halving normal, is the 18% overhead without qos enabled also normal? (i also tried other ethernet cables that go from the router to the cable modem to no avail, im using cat6 as well).

Thanks in advance

I would factory reset the router. Then set only the admin and wifi passwords maybe turn off wifi admin and wps if those are on by default.

The key reason QoS cuts the speed so dramatically even with no rules set at all is the cpu must do that function as well as the NAT. The cpu in routers is very small. Almost all routers now contain hardware based NAT but when this is used the traffic in effect bypasses the CPU. Nat is a actually very processor intensive since it much insert the public IP and the recalculate the header checksums.

This pretty much means that a lot of fancy features on modern routers can not be used if the cpu chip must see the data. You should see how bad it is if you use VPN, many routers are lucky to do 30-100mbps.

If it is still slow with all factory settings it is hard to say. The highest you can see is in the 940mbps range. This is the 1gbit minus the overhead used for transmitting the mac addresses. The router itself can exceed this rate because it has a cable/fiber that is actually running faster than 1gbit so any overhead is hidden in that.