AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 568 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

What kind of workloads are you referring too?

Remember that a core is normally switching between many threads, and a core I7 should be able to handle a threadswitch, without having a greater impact on anything.

We would need more information before we can successfully pinpoint the problem.

8350rocks

Distinguished
He is referring to situations where you have 5+ main threads, and situations where background processes tie up resources that require more than the timeslice HTT can provide to process them. Like antivirus software, or other heavy background processes that tie up compute.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Besides failing to interpret correctly my post, both of you show a lack of familiarity with the edge of game development.

Against the usual myth, I have provided gaming examples where PCIe3 provides a performance advantage over PCIe2. I didn't say that it was the general rule; at contrary, I wrote "here we can see some benchmarks showing that PCIe3 can provide 5%, 10%... gains over PCIe2 in some situations/configurations".

Game developers know that PCIe slots are crippling game development. I wrote before: "In fact, the big advantage of a console such as the PS4 is that avoids the PCIe bottleneck and can use the GPU for novel applications including sound processing or physics". PS4 architect confirms how the outdated PC architecture is crippling development of next gen games:

If you look at a PC, said Cerny, "if it had 8 gigabytes of memory on it, the CPU or GPU could only share about 1 percent of that memory on any given frame. That's simply a limit imposed by the speed of the PCIe. So, yes, there is substantial benefit to having a unified architecture on PS4, and it’s a very straightforward benefit that you get even on your first day of coding with the system. The growth in the system in later years will come more from having the enhanced PC GPU. And I guess that conversation gets into everything we did to enhance it."

Cerny envisions "a dozen programs running simultaneously on that GPU" -- using it to "perform physics computations, to perform collision calculations, to do ray tracing for audio."

But that vision created a major challenge: "Once we have this vision of asynchronous compute in the middle of the console lifecycle, the question then becomes, 'How do we create hardware to support it?'"

One barrier to this in a traditional PC hardware environment, he said, is communication between the CPU, GPU, and RAM. The PS4 architecture is designed to address that problem.

"A typical PC GPU has two buses," said Cerny. "There’s a bus the GPU uses to access VRAM, and there is a second bus that goes over the PCI Express that the GPU uses to access system memory. But whichever bus is used, the internal caches of the GPU become a significant barrier to CPU/GPU communication -- any time the GPU wants to read information the CPU wrote, or the GPU wants to write information so that the CPU can see it, time-consuming flushes of the GPU internal caches are required."

The three "major modifications" Sony did to the architecture to support this vision are as follows, in Cerny's words:

* "First, we added another bus to the GPU that allows it to read directly from system memory or write directly to system memory, bypassing its own L1 and L2 caches. As a result, if the data that's being passed back and forth between CPU and GPU is small, you don't have issues with synchronization between them anymore. And by small, I just mean small in next-gen terms. We can pass almost 20 gigabytes a second down that bus. That's not very small in today’s terms -- it’s larger than the PCIe on most PCs!

We already saw some early PS4 games filling 3GB for video memory[#] and using the GPU in ways that are not possible to use in a PC with a discrete card attached to a PCIe slot.

[#] Partitioned as follows,
* Non-Streaming Textures: 1321MB
* Render Targets: 800MB
* Streaming Pool (1.6GB of streaming data): 572MB
* Meshes: 315MB
* CUE Heap (49x): 32MB
* ES-GS Buffer: 16MB
* GS-VS Buffer: 16MB

to the above add a CPU/GPU shared Memory pool of 128MB

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

There isn't a problem implementing "something similar" that doesn't violate any patent. There is a problem with reusing "blocks" from existent CPUs such as the A57. Those "blocks" are intellectual property of other companies and AMD cannot reuse them for its own CPUs.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The problems (plural) begin with you giving us two versions of what Keller supposedly said, continue with you adding the word "Intel" to a quote from him, and finish with you admitting to skatzus that you don't know what means "better than Skylake". You cannot say if it means better at efficiency, better at performance, better at performance per $ or what, still you have the arrogance of pretending that Keller is supporting your claims.

I note that you continue ignoring any technical, economic, and strategic argument given to you by several people in this thread.

Keller designed the A4 and A5 SoCs at Apple

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6129/apple-a4a5-designer-k8-lead-architect-jim-keller-returns-to-amd

The A6 design was finished at 2010 (the same year Gerard Williams was hired) and tapped-out one year latter, not two, as you pretend.

I think you accurately describe our respective orthogonal approaches: you have "immense faith"; I use data and logics to infer conclusions. This is the reason why you hyped that Steamroller was going to crush Haswell, whereas I knew this was not going to happen.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I don't know about Windows, but Unreal is targeting exclusively 64bit for linux

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Demos

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Windows is always behind Linux in this sort of stuff, usually by a huge margin. You really, really have to go out of your way to use 32-bit applications in Linux and to have a fully 32-bit system.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Linux versions ship with 64-bit, SSE4 enabled executables while Windows gets 32-bit SSE1 executables.

Everyone loves to bash on GCC and then they act dumbfounded when GCC + GNU + Linux blows Windows away on the same hardware.

I used to think it was just compilers picking on AMD hardware. So I ran Blender on Gentoo and windows on my i7 920 and saw ridiculous gains as well. Blender Windows is compiled with MSVC too. There's something really wrong with the tools Blender Foundation is using to compile Blender for Windows and I wonder how many other developers are using the same tool chain and producing horrendous machine code.

When Linux gaming takes off, there's going to be a lot of people who are resilient to change spreading FUD out of fear of change.

It's going to be better for everyone. AMD wants to make changes to the Linux compiler, they just submit their changes. Nvidia, AMD, and Intel want updates to DirectX 11 and they don't show up until AMD releases Mantle. It's not difficult to see why Windows is harming consumers wallets and forcing them to upgrade hardware for artificially crippled software.

When people wake up and realize that installing Linux is a bigger upgrade to their rigs than making the jump from Nehalem to Haswell, they're gonna either switch or get really, really angry and defend the fact that they're afraid of switching OSes.

8350rocks

Distinguished

LOL!!! I actually have clarification if you want to know...

Performance per Watt is the goal they are chasing...as it bothered me as well thinking about what the reference was toward.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Compilers emits similar code on different OSes, just in different packages.
Usually differences in performance lies in OSes itself (how they manage resources etc.). Also porting libraries on different platforms can affect peformance (for example if programmer did crappy version of code for Windows and proper for Unix). What Blender uses for GUI? GTK?

Everyone loves to bash on GCC and then they act dumbfounded when GCC + GNU + Linux blows Windows away on the same hardware.

The last time I saw an in-depth performance comparison between GCC and MSVC, MSVC was found to be 12% faster on average. I'll see if I can gravedig the link.

Also note, that same comparison showed the Intel compiler was 30% faster then MSVC.

GCC, frankly, sucks. I'm glad LLVM/Clang is going to finally kill it off. Linux has needed a decent development platform in the worst possible way; how people live with GCC is beyond me.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

There is no fight. I have been ignoring the insults and provocations in last few pages, including that message from him where he changed my words and wrote I am "unqualified".

What I did above is to remind that I already knew the so-called "new information".

We (AMD included) expect K12 to outperform Skylake in efficiency, but this cannot be guaranteed because neither Skylake nor K12 are in final form and because it also depends on foundries processes: e.g. if Glofo 14nm underperforms and Intel 10nm shine then the original target of the new arch could be lost.

This is why I wrote "expect" instead "will do". It has nothing to do with clarification of anything.

I already knew that AMD was not targeting to outperform Skylake in performance. Keller never said faster than Skylake. I know a bit about new arch. I didn't need any clarification. And this is why I react to such hype claims when were said here in the forum.

AMD pretends to fight Intel using more cores: 8/12/16 core on die. The new AMD cores are efficient and small.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Skybridge*

You are both fighting. You might do it more indirectly, but you are still doing it. (However that is pretty much the standard when people argue. They will start pick on the opponent after a while).

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Yeah especially when he says Skylake will outperform itself, not sure how that is going to work out! ;)

didn't know r.a.g.e. had mantle support. or sleeping dogs. are we finally gonna see havok and physx support mantle? or did i mix up engine names again.. :p

8350rocks

Distinguished
@juan:

PPW at similar TDP is the goal (meaning, yes, outright performance).

Also, I would like to point out, you could not possibly know anything about next gen x86, because it is unannounced as of yet, and I am not permitted to speak about it. Sure K12 is announced, however project name for next gen x86 is not skybridge and no details have yet been announced. They are playing that much closer to the chest...for a reason.

See a lot of Cryengine 3 on there; that still going to be around if Crytek goes under? Because they are essentially bankrupt at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Roberts purchased Crytek given his game is built on it and they have raised *huge* amounts of cash for Star Citizen (in excess of $40,000,000), I wonder what bankrupt Crytek would go for?

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Rumor is Sony is looking to possibly buy Crytek.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Nope. Commenting on the content of messages posted here, including his, is not fighting. Mentioning that info that he gives to me was given before is not fighting. Avoiding provocations and insults that he makes is not fighting.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Yes! Checking the original claim here

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-288#13680584

shows that it was a typo. My admiration by caughting it :ouimaitre:

Status
Not open for further replies.