AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 567 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

I think your wrong (and some others on the console vs low end pc), my a8 worked fine until I got money for a dgpu and still works fine as an athlon, most people game on pc instead of console for the games no other reason, pc exclusives that is, 60+ fps is only useful for certain genre, Arma 2 mp etc dont hold 60+fps no matter the cpu.

edit ok only seen the above after my reply, place needs an ignore button or lightened by 1 member.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Considering that no game console can max 60 FPS @ 1080p in every game without dips well below that (try 30 FPS more likely as a steady baseline), and neither can any Intel product (there are some games that are just that taxing....)...what was your recommendation going to be? A Blue GeneQ for every household?

8350rocks

Distinguished

AMD is not done in HEDT. I can assure you of that...however, I can also bet you will be seeing a nice vacation soon. That way you can go back to where ever you came from and talk with your ignorant buddies that will pat you on the back because they know no better and think you are an expert.

8350rocks

Distinguished

That is a test card, I am betting against 8 GB VRAM on next gen cards...

jdwii

Splendid

I game on my 8350fx and in next gen games this CPU is not the bottleneck. IPC is not the whole story and either is single threaded performance for example under many applications this 8350fx is 10% slower in performance per clock compared to the phenom ii x6 i owned however under gaming it's around 20% faster why? Out of everything i do gaming is actually one area i did notice a difference when upgrading. Not trying to stick up for Amd or anything they need to redesign their architecture which is what they are doing but its not like their FX CPU's can't game.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Probably because FX has more instructions (games actually use them, really) and better optimized those which appeared with Phenom. Maybe larger cache also helps a little. There are many possible variables and gaming is rather peculiar workload.

jdwii mentions clock-for-clock performance. fx8350 has a massive clockrate advantage over hex core phenom, more cores, default support for faster memory and better turbo.

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah that is my guess as well mainly with the added instructions if you look at the 8150fx however the phenom still beats(ties it or comes very close) it most of the time in gaming so its either the recently added instruction sets or maybe some other object.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Every generation you can count on the hardware sites that don't know shit to make a few claims

1. There is an AMD GPU with untapped power, because they don't understand redundancy built into a chip to improve yields and they assume AMD is just like Nvidia that will release a full die and have awful yields.

2. Developer version of cards that ship with much more memory than will be available at retail get headlines of "OMG 8GB CARD SPOTTED!!!! IS THIS WHAT WE GET!?!?!?!"

Stars and Bulldozer are drastically different. Different architectures have strong points and weak points. It seems like a lot of people take Piledriver having bad benchmarks as some sort of revelation that Piledriver is horrible.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/835/9

Wow, amazing. AthlonXP loses to Pentium 4 sometimes. I guess AthlonXP isn't so great!

8350rocks

Distinguished

FYI: My twitter account posted pictures of me with John Byrne and about 6-8 others @ AMD HQ in Austin a few weeks ago.

That CPU-Z verification is ages old, that shows my old G.Skill kit of 8 GB DDR3-2400 MHz and my old GPU of Sapphire HD 7870XT. Which have both since been replaced...

CoD cannot get Ghosts to run on a console @ 60 FPS with 1080p resolution reliably, in fact, there was a big raucous about how much trouble they were having with it a little while back. If you are from the CoD crowd, that explains a great deal about your attitude and knowledge, and further conversation is unwarranted beyond this point, as it will fall on deaf ears.

Also, it is called IP Ban, though someone as computer illiterate as you is probably not aware of what that actually does...

8350rocks

Distinguished

^^^^Yep.

jdwii

Splendid

Well bill nye is a science guy and ken ham was a science teacher so i don't think merica really cares much. :D

? Weird most state the 8350fx above the I5 in this game i have that game and that is one game that uses 6 out of 8 of my cores even in single player with my 770GTX i have everything on ultra except resolution scaling which is at 100%. Don't play much multiplayer but when i played for a few hours it seemed good. Probably had something to do with something else besides the CPU. Also keep in mind people still complain about issues they are generally having on BF4.

BF4 has always been an odd case, due to a very large speedup on Win8 compared to Win7, likely DX11.2 coming into play. Point being, on Win8, the i5/i7 tend to jump farther ahead, likely because the GPU is being less stressed, so with more pressure on the CPU rather then the GPU, the faster chips, in this case, Intel's, tend to look better. Also have different profiles between SP and MP. Still, at best, 8350~=2600k. But I've seen benches all over the place with that title, and I'm not sure if the various patches have affected performance in any real way.

That's the one major downside to day 1 performance reviews: Within a week or two, most config specific issues get fixed via patch, so within a month, the performance profiles between Intel/AMD and NVIDIA/AMD generally tighten up.

jdwii

Splendid
Really one game i have issues with is Simcity which goes into the low 20FPS and that is higher then my X6 Phenom which got to 15Fps at times but still kinda want to always stay at 30+.

Yes BF4 can be all over the place depending on exactly what your doing and what system your doing it on. SP favors single threaded performance while MP favors four to six threaded performance. Also remember that the performance advantage gained from HT is different from SB/IB and Haswell. Intel adding that 4th ALU helped quite a bit in heavily threaded integer work on the i3/i7, not so much for the i5 (hard enough to keep 3 ALU's busy much less 4).

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
That is true, BF4 really is just all over the place....I had to OC my my 920 a good bit to run it smoother without a lot of FPS drops/stutters, Went all the way up to 3.5ghz with stock HSF and 1.1v Core, seems pretty stable, FPS into 70-100ish etc before I would bog down to 45-60 at times. with HT off I was seeing some higher Peaks but the minimum is raised with HT on, thats what I wanted seems smoother to me with it on vs off despite everyone saying to turn it off in BF4....

I still get a really weird/intermittent Lag/stutter that last like a split second with major fps drop.... Game is just weird depending what Map you are on....

I still get a really weird/intermittent Lag/stutter that last like a split second with major fps drop.... Game is just weird depending what Map you are on....

This is why you want an i5 at a minimum, but preferably a fx8 or i7. There is a ton of dynamic object interaction happening and it's all very well threaded. So if your sitting there with nothing going on it'll only use one to two threads, but if there are a ton of people blowing stuff up with lots of environment effects then it'll six or more "cores" (actually it's a ton of threads that all get executed). It's a very dynamic platform that only use's resources when it needs them, which rarely happens in sanitized benchmark environments.

It likely is. From an OS perspective, the i7 920 can only handle 4 threads at a time, and BF4 uses about a dozen helper threads. So what happens, if one of those helper threads need to run, is one of the two heavy threads, either the main render or main program thread, needs to be stopped to allow it to run, causing a latency spike. That's probably what you are seeing. Hence why an i3 can get good FPS numbers, buck such at gameplay. That's your latency coming into play.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

The core I7 920 can handle 8 threads simultaneously.

Ok, I forgot HTT, but its worth noting that HTT has its own limitations, so certain workloads CAN'T be run on a HTT/Physical core at the same time. Also, newer (SB and later) chips have a better HTT setup, which could also be affecting performance somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.