AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 569 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

I hope so! That'd be fantastic! Maybe we could see Mantle take off even better and possibly implemented with consoles. It would also mean a better graphics engine that is less expensive on hardware.

I also noticed a couple pages back, someone mentioned the Ken Ham/Bill Nuys debate... It made me laugh because that was childish. I've seen 4 year olds with better arguments. Ken Ham's model is quite a bit off, and this is coming from a creationist.

@8350rocks, I like your set up :D I'm so jelly right now. Haha! Are you still on 1080P? R9 290X seems overkill for that res.

I'm really waiting out other upgrades here. I'm hoping Mantle picks up support on green team. I really want to pick up an 880. Less power consumption and similar performance to a 780 at a cheaper price. I'm probably going to end up with another AMD GPU though, Simply because I'm a starwars fanboy, and SWBF3 sounds really fun @1440P 96Fps on Mantle. I'll probably pick up an i7 5820K next year too, depending on if AMD chooses to make a move. I'm really excited to see what DDR4 will do for Gaming.

Any one found word on the performance numbers for Witcher 3? I want to make sure I'm ready for it!

Any one found word on the performance numbers for Witcher 3? I want to make sure I'm ready for it!

The only thing I've heard on it is the devs claiming they basically maxed out this console generation. And given the content we've seen, I tend to believe them. Those guys know their stuff.

jdwii

Splendid
Nice GTA5 is going to use Mantle that will show some nice gains its weird to see anything Amd on rockstar games since they are usually pro Intel+Nvidia

At this point Amd has more people using Mantle the first year then Microsoft's directx 11 during its first year. Kinda wish i did go for that 280x now even if it does use 30% more power(my 650 watt antec is getting a little old)

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I heard this rumor too back in Feb and even told about it on this thread several pages back, but if they use MANTLE i can see why... huge open world with tons of AI and if you read the Steam page for GTAV it says "Improved AI and Enhanced Graphics".

Still a rumor though, if GTAV uses MANTLE it will basically be a huge win for AMD and may make other devs support it.

Edit:

http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

Guess the rumors may be right... this is HUGE for MANTLE and AMD.

jdwii

Splendid

To be honest even Sim4 is a great win since that game always use 1 of my cores at 70+%.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Dang... starting to feel the need to get a Radeon, i was planning on waiting for the 300 series to get a Radeon, possibly the R9 370X or what ever they call it but i think i may just grab a 280X, just for the sake of GTAV on PC, i preordered the game.

Can you imagine? 64 Bit exe and MANTLE = Superb Performance!

jdwii

Splendid

You still own a Phenom II x4+470Gtx. To be honest i would probably upgrade to a 8350fx you should see a decent improvement i saw a 10-20% improvement in older games something i never thought would happen and in newer games that improvement was much more such as Simcity. Then again your 470
perfrel.gif
is around half the power of a 7970ghz edition(280X). With Mantle and directx 12 your CPU will become less of a bottleneck

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

64 bit by itself doesn't add a lot to performance; you gain the benefit of the extra 64-bit registers, but that's about it. The ability to use more RAM is good for doing more, but by itself won't affect performance. And as we've already observed, high end rigs don't benefit from Mantle much at all.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

With more Ram into de 64bit exe it means much more HD Textures mods, taking into account the GPU has a ton of it[s own Ram, but 64 bit is a sweet thing in future games.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

jdwii

Splendid

484.jpg

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
With HT on cause's all kind of damn Hitching/stutter/Micro-freeze man, It doesn't do it all the time...its just very intermittent in BF4....with fps really not too much difference with it on or off a little, maybe slightly smoother/stable....I can OC a lot higher with it off though Obviously and runs a hell of a lot cooler as well....

jdwii

Splendid

I looked very well into your I7 920(god of CPU's back then its like the Reagan for republications) If you OC that thing to 3.8Ghz that will really be a nice gaming CPU even for today.
CPU_03.png
Wish i had the money back then for that CPU when it came out its almost 6 years old now and still kicking it. Hoping my 8350fx will do the same

Edit i benchmarked my system right and left with AIDI64 seems like in every test its around the I7 965 level including the FPU ones the hashing one is crazy high and some are around the I7 3770K level. Kinda impressed.

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
definitely still decent, it does turn into a monster OCed....My DO Chip must of just been an average one though or something...so many others saying they were getting way higher Overclocks at lower voltage....mine just doesn't under-volt and be stable as well as others...

At this point Amd has more people using Mantle the first year then Microsoft's directx 11 during its first year. Kinda wish i did go for that 280x now even if it does use 30% more power(my 650 watt antec is getting a little old)

To be fair, the OS market share likely has a lot to do with that. DX adoption always starts off slow.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The new AMD core will not outperform Skylake core in performance. The goal is to outperform Skylake core in efficiency, which is the important metric.

We know that K12 is the ARM core. I said this dozen of times. We know that the name of the sister x86 core is not still decided. I also said this dozen of times. Stop repeating to me stuff I said before.

Some details of the new AMD arch:

# the new cores abandon CMT and will use SMT.
# the new cores will be small (Puma-like style), emphasizing efficiency rather than raw performance [1]
# 14nm FinFET process, (16FF+ as backup option)
# Frequency up to 4GHz (on 14FF)
# lots of improvements in cache subsystem, including a novel stack cache element developed by Keller [2]
# up to 16 cores on die
# modular L2/L3 caches. L3 optional
# modular SIMD unit
# DDR4 support as standard
# HBM on-package as option
# LGA package

NOTES:

[1] Someone said that next gen FX CPUs will have 8/12/16 cores. This seems to show that AMD will be competing against 4/6/8 core Skylake using "moar cores".

[2] I asked to someone if the advantages over a traditional cache are (i) reduction of cache misses because the data is preloaded in advance to its use and (ii) latency reduction because the data needed at a given instant of the flow is already placed at stack N instead having to be loaded from different cache localizations. And if the disadvantages would be higher complexity to implement it and maybe latency penalty if data is preloaded in incorrect order. THe answer I received was "Yes, you are right".

To be fair he was right. We don't know any game using "mantel", only lots of games using MANTLE

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

I have a C0 i7 920 and I agree. HT did improve with SB but on Nehalem it is bad. It is only worthwhile if you're doing something where you need to use all those cores.

It holds up well. Right now I have it set up with a 6950 and it's running Gentoo and functioning as my HTPC since it's hooked up to my 50in plasma.

It holds up well compared to my FX 8350. It wasn't a staggering upgrade like the last few ones I did but it's still plenty viable today.

It's too bad we stopped moving like we did in the 00s. Vista came out and we finally got a decent looking interface and all these nice features like background caching in RAM and everyone blew up and went "wow Vista is bloated trash!" as they tried to run Vista on their old hardware. Normally, people would go "it's time to upgrade, my PC isn't so hot at running the new Windows"

And then after that it all went downhill. Microsoft stopped giving us reasons to upgrade our PC. And it all came to a peak in Windows 8 when Micrtosoft basically ignored HEDT entirely. And then people stopped buying buying new PCs because they had no reason to. And then OEMs stopped making PCs and making planned obsolescence devices like tablets.

I've been using Windows since Windows 95 and it seemed like every (major) release gave you a reason to upgrade your computer. And now it seems like that's gone. And it's put HEDT market in a very bad spot.

And the new consoles don't seem to be doing HEDT any favors either. They are holding things back.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I was bored one day an installed Win 8.1 32bit on a really old P4 machine. It actually runs quite well and all the hardware was detected correctly. I'm sure Vista would have killed it.

It's too bad we stopped moving like we did in the 00s. Vista came out and we finally got a decent looking interface and all these nice features like background caching in RAM and everyone blew up and went "wow Vista is bloated trash!" as they tried to run Vista on their old hardware. Normally, people would go "it's time to upgrade, my PC isn't so hot at running the new Windows"

Vista was trash and it had nothing to do with hardware. Superfetch didn't work well with the NT VMM and OS level disk cacheing and you ended up in bizarre memory scenarios. Superfetch would attempt to utilize all memory not immediately in use, meaning it would run your free page pool to zero and keep it there. Programs are constantly being dynamically grown / shrunk depending on their memory requests, with zero free pages the NT VMM would start paging to swap to meet the immediate needs of programs with memory requests. Eventually superfetch would notice this behavior and try to relinquish pages but it was too late as the paging had already commenced.

I've seen this with my own two eyeballs on a box running with 8GB of memory. "Moar memory!!" didn't fix the problem, it only made it take longer for superfetch to eat your entire free page pool. MS fixed this problem with Windows 7 by tightening up the timing on who quick superfetch responds to memory allocation (it's reactive by nature so there is always going to be a delay) and also making it not attempt to run your free page pool to zero. You can see this yourself by checking your free page pool, in Vista it be run to zero and then kept there where as on Seven there will always be a small amount left available to handle any immediate memory requests which in turn gives superfetch time to respond and release more pages into the free memory pool.

The singular feature in vista was one of those "great concept, poor execution". You can contrast it to the L2ARC on ZFS which does the same thing, attempt to utilize all available memory for disk caching. The L2ARC is proactive and is constantly asking the OS if it needs more free pages, if it sees the free page pool get too small the L2ARC will start to release more pages to prevent that same above scenario. At least this is how it acts on Solaris, not sure about the BSD and Linux implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.