AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 619 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD have actually been pretty forward looking with their designs and haven't been playing it safe...

Phenom was the *first* monolithic quad core on the market. TLB bug + low clock rate + lack of transistors for cache killed it's performance related to Core 2 Quad (2 dual cores in 1 package, a poor solution imo Intel got lucky that Phenom I had problems imo). Phenom II fixed these issues and was a superb chip competative at release with the higher end C2Q chips. Intel then release the first i7 which essentially mixed their stronger core (C2) with all of the enhancements AMD released with Phenom I (monolithic quad core, HT type interface rather than FSB, 3rd level cache etc) and bolted on HT that they had back when they screwed up so badly with P4.

AMD then release bulldozer (2 years late) which unfortunately pitched it against Sandy (gen 2 i7) when it *should* have gone against the previous gen. Bullozer was also a brave design, and was / is reasonably competative againts 1st gen i7 but not against Sandy which had major uarch improvements. Piledriver (which should have been out in time to compete against Sandy) had to contend with Ivy instead...

On the APU side, Intel still don't have anything close to the level of integration that AMD has with HSA- the main issue at the moment is there is no software to take full advantage of the capability however it's imporated for AMD to get something into the wild or there never will be.

Ok, they're behind but you need to give AMD some credit. I mean if you go back to the late 90s, AMD not only kept pace with Intel, they outran them repeatedly with the first Athlon, Athlon Thunderbird (first 1ghz+ cpu), Athlon XP (competative with P4), Athlon 64 (Destroyed P4) and Athlon 64 x2 (first dual core), and they did this with a fraction of the budget Intel had (which is what lead Intel to play dirty as AMD had an equal or better product for nearly a decade).

^^ er... they still have equal/better product(s), at certain price points. until intel intruduces something like tri-core atoms with hyperthreading and 20% faster iris pro igpu with 128MB edram and sell that soc under $150, amd will continue to do so.

Ok guys finished getting the parts in for my A8-7600 demo build.

So far it's

M350 mini-itx case with 150W pico-PSU
ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
AMD A8-7600 APU in 65W configuration
8GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengeance LP
1TB HGST 7200RPM SATA HDD

I happened to have a Noctua NH-L9A sitting around.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/palladin9479/PC%20Builds/20140905_174232_zpsa0945a03.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/palladin9479/PC%20Builds/20140905_180918_zps3c794856.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/palladin9479/PC%20Builds/20140905_180459_zpsba0962dd.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/palladin9479/PC%20Builds/20140905_180435_zpsc6769d2e.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/palladin9479/PC%20Builds/20140905_184039_zps6f6741f5.jpg

One problem I ran into was that with the Noctua cooler attached there wasn't enough space to mount the 2.5" HDD on the top of the M350, the fan on the Noctua was simply too large. With the boxed cooler there was just enough room, but I wanted to try out the Noctua in that case to see how quiet it would be. I'm currently building it with the top open and the HDD on the side while I wait for the external eSATA 2.5" encloser to arrive. It cost me $25 USD and should easily solve this problem at the expense of having to hide it. The other option is to use the boards mSATA port and install on a SDD and while this definitely has it's own benefit, I wanted a large amount of space to store my Steam games without having to use Microsofts mklink to make a network folder appear to be local.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

This is just another reason for Samsung to bought AMD

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8492/nvidia-files-patent-infringement-complaints-against-qualcomm-samsung

http://techreport.com/news/27011/nvidia-tries-to-block-samsung-galaxy-shipments-over-patent-dispute

Yeah I agree- what I was reffering to though was in terms of outright performance and power consumption.

The AMD of today is forced to compete from a value perspective. Go back a few years they had fundamentally better products irrespective of the metric you used to assess them.

Of course AMD do still compete directly with Nvidia on the GPU side- the R9 295X2 is the fastest single card solution you can get simple as (and now it's had a huge price drop it's also WAY cheaper than any other combination of cards you care to name to get the same performance).

It's an interesting idea, although with AMD pushing 'semi custom' so hard I wonder if Samsung need to? It would also make sense for Samsung to partner more closely with AMD and get a range of custom SOC products put together- it would achieve the same goal and also avoid all those nasty legal loop holes. It could be a win all round imo.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

amd already working on arm so it shouldn't cost them much to develop low power arm soc for phone/tablet thus i think it will make sense to jump in in phone/tablet market ( i hope it will provide performance at cheap price just like amd do in pc )

currently low cost phones segments is flooded with slow mediatek cortex-a7 and tablets are not improving in performance and price department, still can't find better tablet than nexus 2012 and 2013 ( except dell venue 7, but its x86 ). ( atleast in India )

and intel's solution still have some app comparability issue, high battery usage, heating issue

so still looks like some room to make profit in this department ( as far as phone/tablet sales are high )

Phones/Tablets are nearing their saturation point. Lets face it, the year over year improvements are no longer there, and more and more, people are using weaker (and cheaper) products over the top of the line ones. I don't view that market as one for future growth or profits.

8350rocks

Distinguished

LOL!!!

That is just posturing by Nvidia. You do not realize how many patents for mobile GPUs Qualcomm owns. This is an attempt to draw attention to NVidia and their ARM SoCs, and will not even make it to court if they try to press the issue.

Additionally, some of the patents in question are beyond 25 years old...seriously...

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

i have to agree, i'm using a sony xperia zl (nearing 2 years) and from a chipset standpoint, having tested a note 3/g2, anything beyond 4 krait cores is excessive, hence an upgrade will be pointless for me. full saturation will come after 64bit ARM SOCs come out (imho).

funny thing with smart phone OEMs is that they keep pushing resolutions up just to warrant that new chipset upgrade. we'll probably see 3k after 1440p in 2 years then 4k in 4 years which again doesn't add anything to the smart phone experience other than one up'ing the competition. would've been better if they just focus on battery life.

The funny thing is that the real battery killer are those new brighter, higher resolution displays. Battery technology isn't keeping up with display technology and so devices are having less and less battery life with each generation. What's worse is that many of the OEM bloatware keeps the cellular modem active even if your not using the phone, this prevents the modem from going into standby and eats quite a bit of battery. For android phones its the "system standby" category on the battery list that this belongs in.

8350rocks

Distinguished

This^

Any entry into that market will be one of the 2:

A high margin halo product that goes in a few low volume, very high end devices...(not to mention you would have to beat Qualcomm out of that market, and they have many of the best integrated modems, etc.)

or

A low margin entry level SKU that is higher volume comparatively, though not necessarily enough to net you any real gains to recoup the development costs (again, you would be up against Qualcomm here as well...)

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Indeed, and I don't buy the explosive iWatch movement people are talking about.

Now this could catch on with the ladies if they leave off the Intel logos. ;)
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35670-intel-shows-off-intelligent-bracelet

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Old AMD had very good products plus a competitive foundry plus some amount of good luck (in the form of Intel problems).

Current AMD has some good graphics products, but the CPU division is uncompetitive (and loosing money) and foundries are clearly behind Intel (22nm FinFET vs 28 nm planar). AMD also had some amount of good luck. E.g. its finances were saved by consoles, but AMD won the contracts because ARM was not ready and Intel lacked customized SoC. At the other hand, AMD have also had some amount of bad luck during this period, like for instance 3M-GDDR5 version of Kaveri canceled because of the bankruptcy of one of the companies doing the SODIMM.

Future AMD will have good products which are being designed by Keller (CPU) and Koduri (GPU) plus competitive foundry (TSMC and Samsung/Glofo will be only half node ahead of Intel 14nm FinFET) plus some amount of good luck (Broadwell delays).

The problem for AMD will be that competition will be much harder from now. E.g. in servers it is no longer AMD vs Intel party, it is now a AMD vs Intel vs Cavium vs Broadcom vs Applied Micro vs... party.

Let's hope it works out that way :) If anything I think they've been making some sensible moves to keep the company stable. The aquisition of ATI was viewed by many as a very bad move (overpriced at the time) and was considdered bad luck, but ironically is now what is keeping them afloat (as without GPU they wouldn't be in the console market).

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Partnership would be a interesting alternative. I notice that Samsung is co-founder of HSA foundation.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

The oldest I saw was granted in 2001. The most recent 2007.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/04/nvidia_sues_qualcomm_and_samsung/

Some of these patents have teeth. I wouldn't brush it off so quickly if I were Samsung. They can easily afford to pay a licensing fee for the products coming into America, which is just a fraction of their sales.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

There is a reason why ARM is pushing hard the server/HPC market...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

According to Rory Read the new K12 would be ready in Q1-2016

http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2014/09/amd_expects_bumps_in_the_road.html

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Nvidia is just after money. Samsung is the company with the most. Samsung doesnt design a gpu, those are from qualcomm, ARM, and imagination. Why sue samsung? To block millions of products, making way for their own products, following Apple.

So why doesnt nvidia sue the source instead? You would have to try and block the entire mobile industry instead of just one list of products.

On a more on topic note, 14nm isnt just some magical tech thats going to solve the entire human race's problems. Ive said it before, shrinking brings its own problems, thermal density. Shrink by 40% and reduce power by 20% and what is the result?

NVIDIA doesn't want to block the products, they wan to make a few bucks off them. Licensing my friend.

So why doesnt nvidia sue the source instead? You would have to try and block the entire mobile industry instead of just one list of products.

Because ARM is its CPU supplier?

Take a look at what NVIDIA is claiming: They are basically trying to take ownership of the GPU, and thus, force a licensing fee out of everyone.

i wanted to read moar about L2/L3 caches. i know there's wikipedia and other articles, but still!!
/rage (not the game)

jdwii

Splendid
To be fair Amd only outdid intel for 6 years or so 1999-2005. Before and after that intel has been superior with Amd having to sell more for less money than intel ever since making their CPU division unprofitable.

Who ever is on top will always get to pick the prices on their competition.

h2323

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Does anyone have any information on how much it is costing GloFlo to produce piledriver silicon now on their 32nm process. I am curious if the process has had a significant yield improvement allowing AMD to cut the cost of them without hitting Margin's to bad, any information would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.