AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 621 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished

They will land somewhere between ~12-16nm

8350rocks

Distinguished

As opposed to Nvidia putting out a bloated driver package with TONS of extra software (reminiscent of windows in the early days). Then, also having their own driver problems in recent times on top of all that.

At least the AMD drivers have gotten much better, Nvidia drivers are getting worse.

As opposed to Nvidia putting out a bloated driver package with TONS of extra software (reminiscent of windows in the early days). Then, also having their own driver problems in recent times on top of all that.

At least the AMD drivers have gotten much better, Nvidia drivers are getting worse.

Now now, you can just install the graphics driver stand alone. And again, most devs feel that even a hundred MB isn't that big anymore, even for driver control SW. Space really isn't a primary concern anymore; functionality is.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I was really sad to see the X99 platform delayed to September but it looks like DDR4 prices/development are coming along regardless.

Troll taken care of. As always the best response to a troll is ignoring them and simply clicking the report button. Mods can nuke their posts but if you start quoting them then it becomes a bit of a hassle to remove. Trolls exist to incite people and cause strife, quoting them only spreads their words further and makes the problem worse.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Nice to see people discussing links with material discussed before here

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-314#14112611

As I said then the 18 months are for K12, because the architecture appears in AMD roadmaps scheduled for 2016. The roadmap was also given before, but in another post.

I want to add that the roadmap that I gave before has been confirmed by someone who has access to an official OEM roadmap. The difference is that my roadmap is lacking some new products scheduled for the future and that AMD has not still announced.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Yes juan, your roadmap is missing (redacted) and (redacted). Which are the 2 main pieces I am aware of for the new uarches. For what it is worth, though, your roadmap is also missing one codename I am aware of that pertains to excavator that is yet unannounced as well. Not sure when that announcement is coming though.

This is a bigger news than we might be giving it credit for.

Like I said, 64 bits computing was a thing thanks to MS more than AMD itself. So, now HSA might be a "thing" thanks to MS once again. The added bonus of HSA in Linux through LLVM is just added icing on the cake.

This is the kind of things that actually make me a believer, haha.

Cheers!

8350rocks

Distinguished

Indeed, the fact that MS helped write their compiler for windows should improve the optimization for their hardware, and also improve the performance of HSA related apps in windows.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
AMD has just given a talk (Deutsche Bank Technology Conference) with Rory Read confirming that the sister core to K12 is named Zen as I posted here about a month ago

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-305#13942948

Rory also mentioned that Zen will be released in 2016 alongside its sister K12.

The funny thing is that I have been using the codename Zen in other forums as well and in one of those forums certain individual (who claims to have internal info) said me:

I'm sorry everyone keeps mentioning a non existent CPU core and it's rather pathetic seeing everyone believing that it's real. No such thing as a "Zen" core not really sure how to say this but AMD's K12-x86 core is NOT called Zen.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Some interesting thoughts from Rory Read conference:

• ■PC market is in decline, AMD lose lots of money with notebooks, and AMD is moving away to new markets
    ■TSMC 16FF+ is currently the preferred node for next gen K12/Zen
    ■28nm has excellent yields and will be used for a long time.
    ■Efficiency is a key parameter for new AMD designs
    ■AMD want to the a leader in ARM architecture, not in x86. Of course, Rory knows that Zen will not be faster than Skylake.

jdwii

Splendid

1. Its important to remember that its the PC market in general not the gaming market as facts prove, its also important to remember that Amd is losing so much money over having noncompetitive products
2. its also important to remember that Amd will never be number 1 in sales in X86 over heavy competition with Intel forcing them to compete in lower markets

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

well i believe we have hundreds of thousands of moba players would like to disagree (and probably millions in china alone).. AMD missed the boat with LoL and Dota. their APUs have a monopoly for MOBA capable notebooks (which they are not aware for some reason) and you don't see 1 marketing push from them stating this. imagine if they actually partnered with Riot or Valve both in marketing and R&D. we could've seen HSA enabled source2 (source2 is out for dota2 by the way) or "source2 powered by Mantle ™" (patent pending). or at least offer "rares" & "legendaries" when you buy an AMD apu.

they gave up on the market where they can actually fight intel, shame that their marketing monkeys can't use their phd's to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.