AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 623 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
It just boils down to how many SATA/PCIe/USB/Ethernet/HDMI ports AMD wants to include as a baseline. At 20/16/14nm there is plenty of room to include a decent PCH(aka SouthBridge).

8350rocks

Distinguished

They need to revise the northbridge too...HTX has newer revisions than what they are currently using...

Well, "unified platform" is just like FM2+ would be with no AM3+ socket by its side from a first glance. I don't know if we'd be calling (for example) the Athlon 750K a "dCPU" (by your own terminology) when we all know it's just a stripped down APU at its core. So, what I read between the lines is that "Zen" will be a "dCPU" just like "Pilediver" was a "dCPU" design.

Now, that being said, there is a hole where it can be possible: If AMD has the b--marbles to make Zen a 8/16 core dCPU and have a 4/8 core APU for the same socket (using Zen, of course), would simplify things A LOT. That would mean, they'd have GF making Zen-CPUs and TSMC (?) making Zen-APUs? That would be very interesting indeed.

AMD, time for FM3 please. I demand DDR4 for my APU. And a bazillion USB3 ports, of course.

Cheers!

I would imagine Glofo to make all x86 CPU and APUs from AMD going forward. They signed for too many wafers and its been costing them every quarter. I wonder if they will fab ARM at Glofo. I think even a 8c/16t cpu would come with integrated graphics like what intel offers. It would just be too expensive to have igps in the mobo again for people who don't use APUs and don't need a strong GPU.

I can see them moving gpus to Glofo too in the long run.

BIG EDIT - I just spouted none sense. Must be my lack of sleep, lol.

Anyway, you could be right there, esrever. It would make a lot of sense to at least pack a 4250-ish kind of iGPU to whatever CPU/APU they come up with for "high end" desktops for the sake of not-losing-the-bloody-HDMI-DVI ports on your MoBo, haha.

That's the "strong" side of the modular approach right? They can play all they want with "both sides" to integrate stuff.

Cheers!

glofo makes the kaveri apus and seattle socs.

from 8350rock's posts, unified platform hints at a single apu/soc die. assuming amd converges small x86 cores and big cores into one lineup, the dt version could be a big (8 cores with igpu) apu while the laptop version could be an soc. my assumption is from the carrizo low power soc's leak, the one with low tdp, 4 cores, igpu, fch etc and hint of stacked memory. disable the gfx parts and it becomes an 8 core cpu.

extreme situation - amd makes a franken-soc with 4-8x x86 and 4-8x a57/k12 hyperthreaded/cores with 1024 shaders and sticks 32MB-1GB high bw stacked memory on a big er.. package...

in 2011, amd has 3 dies iirc - zambezi, brazos and llano. at present, amd has two x86 dies - kaveri and beema/mullins (3, counting ye olde vishera) and one arm- seattle. i don't know if amd makes two kaveri dies (one each for dt and laptops). i think designing one die and leaving out hedt might have been it's way to cut expenses and to avoid risks with process/yield issues for a complex monolithic die on glofo's 28nm bulk process, due the financial situations.

edit:
last gen and new gen screenshot comparisons of gta v
http://wccftech.com/gta-v-nextgen-screenshot-comparison/
:D

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
27 jan for pc !
desk_flip.jpg

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
As I said a pair of posts above the new arch will be a SoC, thus there is no "dCPU" coming.

I mentioned about one year ago that AM3+ is a dead platform. I mentioned before that AMD will introduce a single unified platform. I also mentioned then that the new socket will be LGA.

I mentioned before that the new design is modular (Lego like) because is optimized for the semi-custom division. The SIMD units will be modular, the cores will be modular, the L3 cache will be modular, stacked DRAM will be modular... AMD can use CPU cores and GPU cores in a same SoC or can replace the GPU cores by more CPU cores.

The new CPU SoCs will not be APU SoCs with the GPU fused out.

I also mentioned the number of CPU cores that the new FX line will use.

This thread is going in circles again, re-discovering stuff was posted months ago...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I differentiate in my posts between what AMD says officially, what says behind the doors, and my own guesses/speculations.

An example of the first kind is found in my signature. An example of the second kind is when I posted the codename Zen before Rory Read announced it publicly. An example of the third kind is when I speculated about a Q3 2016 release and Rory has corrected that to Q1.

P.S.: I don't know now the exact page where I posted the roadmap but I did. In fact someone pretended that it was fake.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Sorry I was not more specific. I mean the game you were playing?

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

From the many reviews I have read and posts from owners of 9590's there is ZERO overclocking headroom.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

What about Rory explicitly mentioning 16nm?

AMD will not use SMT2. There is no 8C/16T coming.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

You don't need a 990FX board or an aftermarket cooler. But as an owner of a few FX rigs a 990 board normally will be of better overall quality than most 970 boards and even a cheap Hyper 212 EVO is better than the stock cooler. You don't "NEED" them but a 990FX board with a good vrm section and an aftermarket cooler will allow the processor to run closer to what it is actually capable of.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

A $50 Intel board is just so much garbage. Try buying a nice unlocked $200+ to $300+ i5 or i7 and saddling it with a $50 board. Your user experience will not be all that great.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It has OC average of about 450MHz on air. I will leave you to consider if that significant or not {#}.

{#} It is ridiculous to me: super-SOI alien technology merely matching an ancient i7-2600k on plain bulk.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

So people are getting overclocks from 4.7 GHz to 5.3 GHz all eight cores? You can't be serious? And on air to boot lol! That is just so much bs. Sorry.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage

And Juan, don't get into the semantics game again, please. SoC ~ CPU ~ APU ~ Chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_on_a_chip

Let's not get trapped in the semantics game, because we're all losers when we fight over that.

In any case, I have my doubts with GloFo and 16nm/14nm. I'll believe it when I see it.

Cheers!

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

This is a forum about technical stuff. It would be silly if we start ignoring the correct terms and pretend that the FX-8350 is an APU or that the i7-3770k is a SoC, when they are not.

AMD next gen is a SoC not a "dCPU". AMD reason for using a SoC is technical not semantic. SoCs improve efficiency and will allow AMD to compete against Broadwell/Skylake despite having a process disadvantage. This is the same technical reason why AMD Seattle is a SoC

AMDInside1.png

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Laughable news

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/09/12/crashing-the-party-amds-red-team-to-infiltrate-nvidias-game24-event-to-celebrate-pc-gaming/

Crazy news

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/hybrid-liquid-cooling-system-for-alleged-amd-radeon-r9-390x-pictured/

jdwii

Splendid

Well it is fine on I5 haswell that is all i know and the highest end CPU i put on the board. Again keep in mind Intel uses WAY less power compared to Amd

8350rocks

Distinguished

LOL!!! We were talking with him on twitter last night, surprised he wrote an article about it...

GG Forbes...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
ExtremeTech got the correct general picture about AMD:

Enthusiasts barking up the wrong tree

Before diving into Read’s remarks, I think it’s important to address the fundamental difference between how a lot of AMD’s historic fans see the company versus the direction AMD is now charting. The enthusiast community has a long tradition of viewing AMD’s performance through Intel and Nvidia-specific lenses. There’s nothing wrong with this, as such, but it misses a critical fact: when Rory Read took over as CEO of AMD, that narrow focus, combined with multiple execution problems, had nearly killed the company.

AMD still cares about its traditional markets, but they aren’t driving the entire structure anymore. Going forward, AMD believes embedded computing, dense servers, high-performance GPUs, and professional graphics are just as important to its profitability. Read’s goal is to move AMD away from a model where the company relied upon lightning in a bottle strategy and only turned a profit two years out of eight.

Here’s what this means, in aggregate: AMD is planning to invest in next-generation process nodes at 20nm and 16/14nm FinFET, but only on certain products and only when the company believes it can recoup substantial investments from doing so. AMD’s presentations to date have hinted that when its combined ARM/x86 platform debuts next year, both Jaguar and its Cortex-A57 chips will be built on 20nm, incorporate HSA support, and use a common graphics core. This implies that AMD’s low-power x86 chips could see a nice uptick in performance year on year.

Similarly, Read hinted that K12 and AMD’s upcoming Zen platform will move to 16nm and FinFETs fairly aggressively (if they don’t deploy on those technologies to start with). Big cores like the current Kaveri, FX-series, and upcoming Carrizo, on the other hand, well — those are precisely the volume parts that are going to stay back on older process nodes.

When asked if he’d like to take AMD into tablets, Read’s response was that while this was obviously an important long-term market, Intel’s aggressive marketing practices (referred to as wrapping a $20 bills around every one of their processors) made it impossible for AMD to aggressively chase share in that space without incurring crippling losses.

Nothing was said about further updates to the AMD FX platform, suggesting that even if AMD keeps that brand name around when its Zen architecture debuts it won’t be an update to the current AM3 platform. After Rory Read’s comments on optimizing value at particular nodes we don’t expect to ever see a Bulldozer-derived processor launch below 28nm.

Part of saving AMD, however, required recognizing that it could no longer depend on its traditional markets to sustain it. The branch into dense servers, ARM architectures, semi-custom embedded hardware and a newfound focus on the professional GPU market means that AMD wants to compete in spaces beyond those where Intel and Nvidia have been its historic competition.

your excitement has reached rockstar:
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52308/grand-theft-auto-v-release-dates-and-exclusive-content
We're glad to see so many of you are excited for the upcoming release of the new versions of GTAV and we look forward to sharing more details with you soon. We are also incredibly excited to be bringing GTAV to the PC, but the game requires a little more development time in order to ensure that it is as amazing and polished as possible. Please do stay tuned as we reveal new features and information about all the new versions in the weeks ahead.
as long as it doesn't tun out like gta 4's pc version. :)

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
high-performance GPUs

I thought you have been preaching how gpus are going to die along with x86. im sure you will come up with some way to twist your own words again and pretend you never said that.

AMD had announced the unified platform a long time ago.

SOC isn't anything spectacular either, all you would need to do is add extra components and its an soc ... sorta like adding the on chip memory controller was the first soc. you will never see a full 100% SoC computer design unless you think they can put the bios on the chip as well as enough memory to replace harddrives all together.

This is a forum about technical stuff. It would be silly if we start ignoring the correct terms and pretend that the FX-8350 is an APU or that the i7-3770k is a SoC, when they are not.

to some degree AMD has had SoCs for years, so per your suggestion, lets get technical about it. are you suggesting AMD will be able to build a 100% soc for desktops or laptops or tablets or servers, much less one design for them all?

The simple answer is there is no single design that will be top of the line in 100% of all uses. There will be no true SoC, only steps of adding more components to the silicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.