AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 625 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I think your missing the point of Steam OS. It isn't going to change anything quickly- however I think it's a long term play. The whole problem of pushing any new platform against entrenched incumbents is you need the platform in place before you can get software, but you need software on the platform to justify developing it.

Valve have the time and money to keep plugging away at Steam OS, keep porting games to it and generally push that front for a prolonged period. This kind of approach can work wonders, I would also note that I think Steam OS may have had at least some hand in pushing the decision to break backward compatibility with OGL-N. Without a fully leaded modern API Linux gaming is always going to be a 2nd class citizen. I've been following the development of Planetary Annihilation which is one of the few large scale games to be made with Linux in mind from the start and it does run well, however the devs have had to make a number of sacrifices in order to support it.

I'm not suggesting that Steam OS is going to dominate the market any time soon, however I could see it taking a steadily larger slice of the *enthusiast gaming market* as things move forward.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

SteamOS's big problem right now is that it is designed to make an easier to use and more convenient way to use your computer for games yet it requires dual booting, which is generally not something that is easy or convenient to set up.

I would wager that most users who are interested in alternate OSes to Windows and OSX are already using Linux already. At that point it becomes yet another Debian distribution.

When we see special hardware for SteamOS come out and getting SteamOS becomes a matter of convenience of simply buying something that has SteamOS already on it, it has potential to pick up steam (haha a pun).

The benefit for SteamOS is that it will allow OEMs to make Steamboxes in bulk, which means lower price. And they can skirt a Windows license completely in the price. If they want to dual boot later they can. Although Windows boot loader is very rude and will wipe out what you have without asking you anything.

jdwii

Splendid

Benchmarks and games that is all i need to use it. If i can get more performance then i'm in. Heck even if they can just get the games i bet many are in since windows cost money, i have free versions from my job and college. I just want to see Microsoft pushed and so far its not happening. When Microsoft made the xbox in 2001 they pushed PC gaming aside. Now its been 13 years and PC gaming just beat console software sales and Steam is the main reason for that they have the fans they just need the games and not indie games big AAA games.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Yes, indeed, GRUB is so much better...

I find it completely asinine my linux install can read anything on my windows drive, meanwhile my windows install is entirely convinced it is "alone"...

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Exactly. SteamOS looks 10x better as a line item than "No OS", which is how most NUC/SFF type devices come.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

The mobile only speculation began as soon as the TDP was listed at 65W.

That's because your enabling that feature on your Linux OS while ignoring it on your Windows one.

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

There are more permanent solutions that involve inserting a file system driver into Windows to enable it to understand the foreign ext/reiser/jfs file systems.

The reason for this, and the same reason why reading/writing to NTFS is considered experimental in Linux, is that these are non-native file systems and as such there may be nuances the system didn't take into consideration which could result in data corruption.

Now for the whole Windows vs non-Windows (linux) debate. Guys Linux is not an OS, it's a kernel. It's everything that wraps around it that makes that particular distribution an OS which creates all sorts of hell for systems engineers like myself when we are trying to design a product. Making your product standards compliant for distribution A does not mean it's standards compliant for distribution B, you can't even be sure configuration files, non-system binaries and services are handled the same way between distributions. One system might prefer to store it's non-system stuff under /opt, while another is using the nefariously lazy /usr/local (I REALLY hate programs that install here). One may prefer to use /etc for everything while another wants non-system stuff in /opt/etc. Some mount the cdrom under /media, while others as /media/cdrom or /mnt or just plain /cdrom. And that's without getting into the graphics and media libraries mess (OSS/PulseAudio/SDL/ALSA/ect..).

It turns into a giant headache when trying to come up with an architecture because you can't many any assumptions about your target platform and need to go around and make absolutely sure every little thing is checking itself because you can't even be sure of future compatibility. This is the largest contribution Red Hat has made to the industry, its created a single set of platform standards and assumptions for everyone to use when building systems. This has greatly enabled the spread of Linux into the enterprise world, it's still not on the same level of platform standardization as MS Windows but it's close enough to accomplish many things.

In the consumer world it's a very similar situation. Games are highly tuned for performance due to their demanding nature. We all see what happens when a developer releases a product on PC without first tuning it for that platform, we get those sh1tty console ports. This isn't any different for a Linux platform vs a Windows platform, especially as both have radically different graphics / media APIs. A game tuned for the Windows platform using the DirectX suite of libraries wouldn't do so well if directly ported to Linux, even assuming you could somehow get those libraries to magically work without wrappers / rewriting. That's why Valve created their own platform, SteamOS, it's interesting they chose Debian but I can see why with all the easy to access consumer software. As long as valve is willing to certify vender drivers and hardware on their platform them it has a chance at being a viable competitor in the market. I haven't had a chance to play with it, but I wonder how standardized it is, Android was "linux" based and yet google changed the platform so much that it hardly resembled linux when they got done.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
well if valve will somehow manage to port all your libraries to steamOS making them playable then i'm sold. but right now there's only a handful of triple A title with linux support (witcher2, civ5, metro redux).

come back with that argument once you're actually paying/playing for linux games, don't preach like it's the next best thing since sliced bread because it isn't.

and i don't think people here are actually playing videogames, i mean with the amount of time you guys spend formulating arguments and counter-arguments, i don't think that'll fit in a 24hour day.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

65W is not a mobile TDP.

The original 65W Carrizo APU appearing in early roadmaps was for desktops, as also confirm the official docs. Apparently AMD canceling it is related to Intel canceling part of Broadwell desktop, which gives AMD room to release a Kaveri on steroids in its place.

And most of those took the easy route and simply implemented a D3D to OGL wrapper, same as Valve, rather then re-coding the game from scratch. At that point, you may as well just use WINE, since it would probably end up being just as fast and more stable to boot.

Which goes to show, even in porting games, devs REALLY want to avoid re-writing the graphics engine. Which is a major long-term problem for Linux gaming in general.

Except Mantle only works for AMD, so you'd still need to do some sort of conversion to maintain compatibility with 80% of all users.

As for OGLNG, it's likely DOA in gaming since most next-gen engines are already DX based, and DX12 will hit first. Would have been interesting had it been a year or two earlier though...

h2323

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

I hope you're kidding, that link is a joke. You are not a source Juan, just a poster with an opinion like everyone else.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

DX12 will only work on Windows platform, which is currently a minority OS. OGL-Next will be needed for gaming in majority platforms.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

That link means that some time ago I asked one of my sources and he confirmed that Carrizo is only for mobile and that Kaveri DT will received a refresh a la Richland. I trust him. You can believe me or not, I don't care.

Just like OGL is used now. Games target Windows, first and foremost. I wouldn't be shocked if OGL 4 hangs around for years, even after OGL NG comes around.

jdwii

Splendid

Sorry juan you had an issue i fixed it- Also i hope you are not talking about console gaming being the majority, PC software sales beat it so yeah

jdwii

Splendid

What is OpenGl? No but really i never understood the fanboy hate on windows was always something i thought was funny(since the GUI is so easy to use OUT OF THE BOX). I would never pay for linux if it wasn't free except for enterprise work or if someone else heavily modified the OS like android or perhaps one day steam os but those are free anyways.
I used 3 major versions of linux(Ubuntu-Fedora-Mint) I ran countless benchmarks and i found little to no difference in performance and stability was a joke even compared to Vista. This was using my Llano laptop and my 8350FX+770GTX and my 1100T+6950HD and a pentium 4 with VIA graphics that would not work on anything but XP-W7.
I think linux for the desktop and laptop market is nothing but a nerd platform and that is ok i even heard a lot of my linux fanboy's claim they don't want it to get big its like they want to feel special for using it or something. I have to admit at the end of the day its still good enough for multimedia purposes if its stable with XBMC.

h2323

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

ahhhh your source okay......:pfff:

8350rocks

Distinguished
@juan

There is a codename you are missing...curious, considering you have been spewing them otherwise...

Wondering why you have no information on that internal codename with such a reliable source.

Status
Not open for further replies.