AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 624 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i remember the guys talking about in 2011 when i first joined here. i didn't believe them at that time.
in the year 2011....there was no mantle or dx11, cpu bottleneck and single core performance was (more) relevant, according to amd and c.a.l.f. single and multi gpu stuttering didn't exist.. radeon 5770 crossfire/gtx 550ti sli was a budget proposition... i imagined myself as an expert on servers because i ran vmware player for the first time...good times...

late edit: sorry, it was vlc media player.

edit2: it's okay now. i can tell which one is vlware and which one isnt. vmware is the one still can't run... but in the future... surely...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
I am not surprised that my words about GPUs/x86/SoCs have been ignored/twisted/misunderstood once again by some. Of course, rest of people can read and understand my posts perfectly:

Others can't seem to grasp that your focus is on *future* technologies. In 5 or so years, when 90+ % of consumers are satisfied with integrated graphics and Nvidia/Intel/AMD's exascale compute solutions have materialized, the guys in the forums will still try to find a way to rationalize their failed predictions.

I think your speculation/predictions are more accurate and have more base than most posting in that thread, the way some talk to you in general is just wrong imo, eg the misquotes and taking what you say out of context. At first I thought it was the language barrier but its not, I understand your English perfect, I think 'those guys' are just afraid of change, you predict change, your not saying what they want to hear and deep down they know that you're probably right. I enjoy your posts keep posting.

I know very-well how this thread works. Here another prediction. AMD will release the official roadmap soon and it will show post-Excavator Zen architecture as "Next Generation High-performance x86-based SOC". Then some people in this forum will try to hide that they said "dCPU", they will pretend that they said SoCs and they will pretend that I said dCPUs, because they pretend I am always wrong. Feel free to misunderstand/ignore/twist my words again or to misquote me, I will ignore further provocation.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
^^ and again, you ignore what was said to you. if you want to get technical to others and generalize your own predictions, then get technical.

whats going to be on the SoC? the entire motherboard, memory, and hdd or are they just adding the pci-e controller? why are they calling it an SoC?

you can't answer that because when you come out to be wrong about your technical prediction, you will have to admit you were wrong, or more likely you don't even know, and just quoting marketing gimmics.

ill stop here so you can concentrate on answering this one simple question.

Apple takes 20nm capacity from Nvidia, AMD
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35743-apple-takes-20nm-capacity-from-nvidia-amd
Every new node is limited and usually expensive. Apple can get a really good deal as it will buy more wafers than anyone. Volume drives the price down. The remaining, usually very limited, capacity is expensive.

it's from idf, but the impact could immensely benefit amd(untranslated)
http://www.expreview.com/35974.html
intel is pushing a uni-dimm standard, upgrade from so-dimm for small mini itx/thin mini itx motherboards, laptops etc. basically, same slot for ddr3 and ddr4 dimms. the rest of the technical stuff went over my head. if this gains popularity, will be great for building small boxes with small z-height.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Did they cancelled Carrizo seriously? DAMN... AMD just loves to shot them selves on the foot... getting tired of their crap, or more precisely of their their lack of Something good, i am starting to get the urge to just buy an i5 with a new mobo and be done with it.

What ever AMD throws with Zen will probably be on the same level as an i5 4570 but it will take them at least 2 more years to arrive... so i`m just done with their CPUs, ill just build a new Intel System with a R9 280X.

DIMM height is rarely a problem in SFF design's, it's the CPU cooler that cause's the biggest vertical space issues. Your usually limited to 65W for an active unit, 35W or under for passive cooling without a very special case design.

8350rocks

Distinguished

AMD has a DT APU coming after Kaveri...it will be out next year, and the codename has not been announced.

Just FYI, Carrizo has referred to ULP for quite some time...only now is anyone realizing it...

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

then you haven't met the hd 4800 series.

jdwii

Splendid

I think it means Amd will not cancel mantle and its been out longer already. Once directx 12 comes out i doubt many will want to use mantle. Thinking 12 might be the new 9.

jdwii

Splendid

That would be so cool if they did that they might have the final bullet when it comes to steam os. Unless they don't use silverlight or something else. Still it seems to nice of Microsoft.

Also you guys notice Steam OS isn't getting that much attention anymore?

Duh? What did it honestly have going for it? Non-Windows gaming is still a graveyard. Its just another OS fighting for ~2% of the market. Whoppie.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I don't think a controller is going to boost SteamOS much. Didn't their % of Linux go down recently? It's a good concept and I hope they stick with it, but it's a long shot.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
When Valve launched Steam digital distribution platform back in 2004 it was met with derision, but ten years latter Steam is considered the coolest kid in the game universe.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Some new info to speculate about:

• ■Cortex-A57 + Radeon (8th gen) SoCs are ready and will be announced soon. They will support dual channel DDR4.
    ■Kaveri desktop replacement will be to current Kaveri what Richland was to Trinity.
    ■Mobile Excavator and the A57-based SoCs will include second gen. HSA.

Also SoCs will top at four CPU cores. Those six cores CPU-Z leaked by certain site were fake.

Because the original Steam sucked and only did Valve only games. They opened it up, and fixed it.

And again, you miss the entire point of the lack of alternative OS users/games, which was the point I was attempting to make. There is simply not enough people willing to use it to justify Steam OS. Period.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Well, steamOS is geared as a "console like" OS for people who want a "console like" gaming PC.

That is the issue, they currently do not have the full functionality for the controller in place. Will be interesting to see what happens when that comes around. More OEMs may get behind it than what are currently signed up...which will drive install base numbers.

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
There's a bit of a meme doing the rounds on Linkedin at the moment based on a quote from Grace Hopper:
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "we've always done it this way."

It's popular amongst consultants and forward thinking individuals who have a daily fight against the status quo and people with entrenched ideas, epitomised here by Gamerk.

Disruption is good for any industry. Not all ideas will succeed, but without those that do, you'd have a stagnating industry.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

You miss my point about how the first iteration of something is not representative of the success of posterior improved versions.

SteamOS has enough potential for many serious hardware and software companies to openly support it. I only dislike their choice of DE, but this is 'fixable'.

Status
Not open for further replies.