AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 655 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Th only Kaveri laptops I've seen in the UK have been low power versions, and I'd only really be interested in the 35W chips, the A10 or FX versions. And AMD laptop GPUs seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Currently I have a Llano (45W) + Radeon 6750m laptop that desperately needs replacing and there is no real AMD upgrade path for me. It's a shame as at 45W, Kaveri is a good bit of silicone.

jdwii

Splendid

Na it hasn't been and its interesting to see that, Microsoft keeps lowering their price more and more to keep up. Something i and many others knew would happen.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

hey look, ages old phenom 2 x4 940 clocked at merely 3.0GHz is listed in minimum requirements
that means my 1090t will be able to play it with ease
long live the phenom

and apply this to those who own 2500k or fx8350 or lower cpu :p
apply-cold-water-to-the-burned-area.jpeg

8350rocks

Distinguished

Interesting that this comes forward so early in the cycle of the console. Reduced power consumption will not really be a huge factor for this generation of consoles. I would think if they had 20nm silicon on the back burner coming so quickly, they would have pushed the first wave hardware a bit harder to squeeze more out knowing the power requirements for the hardware would fall less than a year after launch.

Que sera, sera.

Honestly, it will be good for XBone, however, I am sure the PS4 likely has a 20nm tape out already if the M$ console has. It may not be as far along in the process as the XBone silicon, but you can bet it has at least been through preliminary design phase, etc. There is no doubt SCEA will also want newer silicon to make a "slim" version, or what have you.

8350rocks

Distinguished
That is primarily due to the entire approach M$ took toward making their console. Focusing less on the actual gaming performance, and more on trying to make a XBox Set top box for your TV.

Then, why would any of us be surprised at M$ trying to dictate to customers what it is that M$ says they are supposed to want?

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

Yeah but if that's true, then what was Sony's reason? The PS4 is not all that much better when it comes to real-world experience graphics wise.

jdwii

Splendid

No its still a console of course not but in terms of console performance this is probably the biggest gap(besides the Wii U and Wii) in performance since PS2 vs Xbox.

$100 cheaper for the same performance? Sony won the second MSFT announced $499.

8350rocks

Distinguished
The issue there comes from OEM vendors trying to save a buck here and there. Not that I fault them trying to make a profit when so many are not, but every AMD mobile SKU can run a 1080p video feed. The nano pc was running a 1080p world cup match in the lab when I visited Austin, and that is a 3W tablet SKU.

So, it is the fact that OEM vendors want you to pay more for a higher resolution screen. Not that AMD product cannot run it. Asus actually has a nice 15" laptop with A10 mobile and 1080p screen for $750, if I recall correctly. I, for one, applaude them listening to consumers and hope they sell a boatload of them.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Checked the resolution of the $150 potato laptop I'm using right now... found it very amusing that it has a 1440x900 resolution. Meanwhile, $650 HP laptop with 1366x768... it really just puts into perspective exactly how bad that resolution is for that price range.

jdwii

Splendid
I'm fine with 720P for 15.6 inch monitors heck i'm using a 32 inch 1080P tv just fine for my monitor text looks clear to me. Going to get a 27 inch G-sync monitor in a year or so hopefully and i want to stick with 1080P for hardware reasons.

$15 wow, intel is really generous here...

How about throwing in a comparable NVIDIA card, just to see if sub-par DirectX processing is the culprit? Just a thought.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I thought Need For Speed Rivals was supposed to use Mantle, same as Sims4, Lichdom and CoD Advanced Warfare... what the hell happen to those titles MANTLE support?

As of now only Plants VS Zombies, Thief, BF4 and Sniper Elite 3 support it... thats waaay off AMD claims that more than 15 games at the end of 2014 will be supporting MANTLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.