Question PCIE Gen 3 Motherboard with Gen 4 Riser cable and GPU

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Hi all,

I have been looking to get a vertical GPU mount for my case but the only ones I can get are PCIE 4 and my motherboard is PCIE 3 (Asus Maximus X Hero Z370)

I am looking to see if I am likely to run into issues as if it is quite hit and miss then I may just leave it for now until I upgrade the main system.

GPU : ASUS 4070 Super

If anyone knows some specifics on this or has gone through this process before then any advice would be appreciated.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PCI-E 4.0 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 3.0. But i advise against all and any riser cables since they often produce all kinds of errors and issues. GPU vertical mount isn't worth the eyecandy if you have to go through the hardship of making your GPU to work like it is supposed to. Better direct connect it to the MoBo.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
PCI-E 4.0 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 3.0. But i advise against all and any riser cables since they often produce all kinds of errors and issues. GPU vertical mount isn't worth the eyecandy if you have to go through the hardship of making your GPU to work like it is supposed to. Better direct connect it to the MoBo.
Thanks for the input bud. I am in two minds on whether to pull the trigger or not. I have used them on other systems historically without issue but never in a scenario where there is a pcie gen mismatch between the motherboard and the riser cable.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
The only problems I've seen is using a cheap one or a 3.0 on a 4.0 card and board.
Thanks for the response. The riser I wanted to use is an official Lian li one with a vertical mounting bracket so I expect the quality would be half decent - it should be for what they seem to cost!!

I have seen the issue with a 3.0 cable on a 4.0 card / board but struggled to find much info on a 4.0 cable on a 3.0 board. I assume this either means issues have not been encountered or that people have not really been using this configuration but there must have been people with a similar setup.

I may pull the trigger and worst case I can return it should it not work.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the response. The riser I wanted to use is an official Lian li one with a vertical mounting bracket so I expect the quality would be half decent - it should be for what they seem to cost!!

I have seen the issue with a 3.0 cable on a 4.0 card / board but struggled to find much info on a 4.0 cable on a 3.0 board. I assume this either means issues have not been encountered or that people have not really been using this configuration but there must have been people with a similar setup.

I may pull the trigger and worst case I can return it should it not work.
Should be fine.

PCIE 4.0 cable has better shielding and better signal quality than PCIE 3.0 cable
It is fully backwards compatible with PCIE 3.0.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
PCIE 4.0 cable has better shielding and better signal quality than PCIE 3.0 cable
It is fully backwards compatible with PCIE 3.0.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was wise to double check first.

I know about backwards compatibility with the PCIE slots but wasnt sure if the riser would follow the same.

I am going to order the cable and I will update once it has arrived and has been tested.