WIN 10 Pro x64
I7 6700k stock
ASUS Z170 - P BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3805, 16/05/2018
GTX 970
ADDLINK S70 M2 G3x4
OLD ST3500 312CS HDD
TX550M PSU

Hi folks,I need a bit of help.
I've had a run of WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR BSOD over the past few weeks and I've been trying to figure out a remedy.
The PC has been barely used the last 5 years so I've updated windows 10 ect.
Started up the machine a few days later and windows did not boot and BIOS gave a sad face : Warning: Please back up your data and replace your hard disk drive.A failure may be imminent and cause unpredidctable fail.
I managed to get past this by reseating the M2 NVME and windows booted.Then I started getting random WHEA BSOD
Updated Graphics card to latest drivers
Updated drivers using Driver Booster
Updated windows apart from one which fails eveytime ( secure boot issue I havn't bothered with)
Updated BIOS and all the ASUS software
Set SATA to RAID mode in BIOS
New SSD ordered

With the random BSOD ,nothing seemed to resolve it.
I moved the GFX card to a lower PCIE slot away from the M2 SSD and since I don't think the BSODs have occurred IIRC.
But almost everytime I start the PC since (apart from restarts) I have to carefully reseat the M2 NVME to boot.Today however it started up fine.

Windows events
Errors are : TPM-WMI The Secure Boot update failed to update a Secure Boot variable
disk The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block. ( occurred one time and not since )
VOLMGR Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
and more :^(

Likely the M2 SSD is done and I'll have to get all the data of and do a clean install.

Another thing is that the old WIN 7 hdd may have some of the bootup gubbins in it and I've gone and deleted something important trying to make space.I did this about the same time as updating windows.

I can't get a dump file ,but I can attach event logs if anyone would be kind enough to cast an eye over them and give me some advice?
Also,how do I attach event logs?

Many thanks

Lutfij

Titan
You're compounding your issues.

Updated drivers using Driver Booster
This is a problem. If you want to update your drivers, you should cross reference it with the version installed on your platform and the one listed on your support site(s).

Set SATA to RAID mode in BIOS
You should set the storage controller to AHCI.

I've gone and deleted something important trying to make space.I did this about the same time as updating windows.
This might've been the cause of your issues. Are you able to get into Safe Mode?

Reactions: ubuysa

percymarvelous

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Hi,
I've had the M2 completely go.I get a quick flash up of it in bios then the 'please back up data and replace hard disk drive...' dialogue. Re seating M2 no longer works and I can't boot in safe mode.

I've installed a fresh win 10 on an old HDD until my new M2 NVME arrives.

Many thanks for the advice - I'll try the steps you've given and report back