AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

actually they can do this on consoles.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

With the relatively low performance Jaguar's they'll have to. Those cores will be lucky to match an Athlon X2 clock for clock.

Depends. They do have the advantage of being "custom".

So they could increase the IPC for the reduced instructions the APUs can support and use the remaining die area to add different improving optimization stuff for the supported bunch.

It's like...

Wait for it...

A track car and a daily driver.

BOOM! hahaha

Cheers!

The "big" feature of DX11 is multithreaded rendering, which allows multiple threads to render to a single GPU. In theory, this allows you to get away from having one monster render thread, which would have to execute sequentially, which as you can imagine, kills the ability of the CPU to scale to any reasonable degree. Hence why more or less any pre-DX11 game (or any game that still has a DX9 path) doesn't scale well.

The issue is, the few times I had a chance to play with multithreaded rendering, due to how rendering engines were designed, there wasn't much you could make parallel, as the rendering code went through stages where each stage took the previous stages output as its input. Its possible Crytek managed to build a rendering engine that gets around this, which would allow significantly better scaling, but as of the last time I worked on a game engine, this wasn't the case. [If this IS what's happening, I'd be REALLY interested to see how they structured the program to pull that off.]

Yet you said this as all impossible because you just can't code for multiple threads.

And I believe I mentioned that in order for a program to be programmed to run parallel that the engineers must redefine the problem as one that can be done in parallel. Trying to take an algorithm / code flow that was designed to be run in serial and making it parallel will quickly run into problems. You need to start from scratch and rework it so that you create opportunities for parallelization.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Ha! What's his face called it. Jaguar APU cores are faster than Piledriver cores.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

They already said Jaguar is 15% IPC gain over Brazos 2.0, and 10% clock speed gain so about 25% faster. Then multiply by 4 for the extra cores.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+E2-1800+APU

In this benchmark that would put you at the level of an FX-4130.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4130+Quad-Core&id=1807

The custom part is the GDDR5 and much larger GPU compared to what Kabini/Temash are going with. Certainly that will help some but the memory interface doesn't do as much for the APUs compute capability, that really only helps the GPU side.

afaik, kabini and later apus are rumored to have hsa capabilities, and gcn already has some of it built in. if it's customized in a certain way, imo the apus can use gddr5 memory. i am very interested to know how it's doing it.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
With Steamroller and GCN2 will come much improved HSA. The CPU and GPU will share a common memory address space.

Edit : Dont know how relevant this is anymore. Because AMD plans have changed some.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Yep. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20130220235239_Sony_Confirms_Lack_of_Rambus_Memory_Inside_PlayStation_4.html

Hmm, would it be possible to develop a GGDR5 motherboard for PC without soldering the memory chips and CPU on board? If not, you'd loose upgradability but maybe it would be worth it. Imagine Kaveri with 8GB of GDDR5. That would really let the iGPU do its thing and certainly the CPU cores would be well fed.

Well, having the capability of a 4130 is pretty darn impressive. And you have to add the fact, for the PS4, of a optimized OS for the APU.

So, all in all, it's looking good so far.

AMD could learn a lot of interesting stuff from this venture with Sony, and, probably, MS.

Also, the dock could give you additional compute by having a larger battery and another APU in it. Since you don't need that much bandwidth, the SeaMicro interconnects would work very nicely in there. "Dumbed" down to tablets, off course. That's my take on that idea from AMD. Hope I'm right on it.

GDDR5 works very differently than regular DDR3, so you'd have to fully change the IMC to take advantage on it. Or, if you don't want to make another CPU just for the IMC, put it back into the NB, losing quite a lot of the possible benefits IMO. And IIRC, GDDR5 is very similar to XDR.

Also, AFAIK, it's more expensive to produce.

Cheers!

Not really. GDDR has significantly higher latency then DDR. Its meant for pushing a LOT of data across fairly quickly, but at the expense of a higher minimum latency. Not a good design for general system RAM. [I already dislike the trend of higher latency on RAM in exchange for bandwidth...]

o-0. Unusual to say the least. But yeah, that explains the CPU usage, as that type of task is "typically" done by the GPU.

Anyone willing to post GPU utilization numbers now? I want to see what effect this change had on GPU utilization. [EG: Did a GPU bottlenecked app become CPU bottlenecked due to moving work from the GPU to the CPU?]

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Sort of like why Borderlands2 used a lot of CPU : Physics calculations done on CPU.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
There was news a while back that AMD would release their 1090FX chipset this summer. http://www.eteknix.com/amd-1090fx-chipset-arrives-with-steamroller/ Does this still hold true even though Steamroller/HD 8000 are getting pushed back to Q4?

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Not 100% sure if thats accurate, and I think Steamroller is Q1 2014, but a 2013 release is possible. Also, the 1090FX is a enthusiast grade chipset, I doubt many people will buy them, because the 970 is already an extremely good value, and the 990FX just improves it with mroe features. Most people using Quad SLI or Quad CFX will use Intel anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.