Question MSI B350 TOMAHAWK upgreade from 1600af to 5600?

Aug 7, 2024
Hi, not to my into upgrading things special in the hardware is to expensive in my country.
So my question is moving from a 1600af to a 5600 can be done in a B350 TOMAHAWK updating bios?

Others specs maybe has no sense : 4X8 PATRIOT VIPER / MSI 2060S/ B700H gigabyte.

Lutfij

Titan

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
A comment to add on this one is to be very sure you read as to whether there is a bridge BIOS that needs to be updated before another. As mentioned above you may have to update other (driver) aspects of the build before moving to the next step. Another issue that can crop up is that some mobo will lose functionality with Zen 1 during the update process and can leave you in a strange limbo. I would think the AF chip designation should be fine with it since in certain respects it is a 1+.

Aug 7, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yeah, all you need to do is flash the BIOS to the latest version, clear the CMOS, then drop in the new processor. Please be wary that there are some steps mentioned here;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350-TOMAHAWK/support
for some BIOS updates to update the chipset driver prior to the BIOS update process.

One more thing, the PSU you have is showing up in Tier E of this list, that's the category you want to avoid.
Hi thanks for the welcome, yes looking the requeriments pre update bios , i updated the drivers chipset.

Thanks for the reply, will try to purchase the 5600 hope can help with the Escape from tarkov lower FPS !

Aug 7, 2024
A comment to add on this one is to be very sure you read as to whether there is a bridge BIOS that needs to be updated before another. As mentioned above you may have to update other (driver) aspects of the build before moving to the next step. Another issue that can crop up is that some mobo will lose functionality with Zen 1 during the update process and can leave you in a strange limbo. I would think the AF chip designation should be fine with it since in certain respects it is a 1+.
Yeah, updated the drivers chip set, the 1600af is like the same thing as the 2600 back in the day with gen2 . So no problems at all because i used to had and r3 2200g and upgrade it for the 1600af without bios change