AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

If they can offer these boards at a decent price, they could sell, but the 970 like I said, gets the job done.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
AMD now has some nice exclusive GPU features:

http://wccftech.com/amd-tressfx-hair-simulation-technology-brings-life-lara-crofts-hair-adventures/

I think its pretty awesome, although her hair still looked pretty good without Tressfx.

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Very impressed by those Temash numbers.

It is very nice to see AMD working with game Devs much more lately. TressFX is an odd name, but it looks great.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Who needs better flowing hair ? We need better bouncing boobs with the all new BoobFx
And Lara Croft isnt known for her hair

Edit : nice picture of Radeon Malta

radeon-malta.jpg

looks like my previous post didn't make it.

i'm glad amd's getting off it's ass and adding more physics acceleration to pc games. i've long hoped for amd to enable using radeons to be used as physics accelerator, to compete against nvidia's restrictive physx. theoretically, intel xeons phis would make decent physx co-processors but they won't let users do that. :)

look, an athlon ii x4 750k review!
http://www.bitsandchips.it/9-hardware/2409-amd-athlon-x4-750k-continuavano-a-chiamarlo-trinity
wait, it's still not widely available.. :D
i agree with their conclusion though. imo it's better than fx4300.

I very much dislike piecemeal implementations; either make a uniform physics API, or not. Do NOT start putting out different solutions for different physics problems, because you will find none of them will end up getting adopted.

Personally, I hope MSFT puts a physX like physics extension into the DX API in DX12.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
TressFX makes sense for games like Tomb Raider and other single player games. There usually aren't a lot of extra characters on screen. Might as well take advantage and provide a more realistic environment.

It could be usable on grass, trees and other like things.

You have to start somewhere right? HSA is going to be a decade long thing to promote.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Anything is possible from AMD. The rumor is the 8K series is only being delayed to reduce inventory of 7K parts. So they could use some 8K parts to fill the gaps.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

How much higher and at what frequencies? Would it really be a problem or would it still be "good enough" in relation to integrated graphics which would definately benefit? My guess is that return on investment would be a bigger problem than latency.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

That's what we need more of. Drivers that actually use the new instructions.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

In this case the "more realistic" hair looks as if she's just out of hairdresser's instead of romping around an island covered in muck and blood. :)

What the end result would be is when you have to load small datasets, you increase execution time due to the increased amount of time it takes to get data to the CPU/GPU. For larger datasets, the extra speed is more then enough to offset this.

The PS4 was clearly built around GPU performance. The CPU, frankly, isn't THAT big a leap over Cell in terms of performance [it is better by a decent amount, but its not a major, double the performance type leap], so I would expect games would be limited more or less by how much data the GPU can crunch. I would expect most PS4-PC crossplatform titles to be very GPU limited, based on the PS4's specs. [Something to watch for in November/December I guess...]

The CPU rarely ever runs into memory access issues, the latency increase wouldn't even be noticeable. GPU's on the other hand are frequently bandwidth starved when it comes to their memory. Our ever increasing demands for higher resolutions, higher AF / AA, more shaders and faster frame-rates have elevated memory bandwidth requirements into the ludicrous speed levels. I'm fully expecting the next generation GPU memory to come in plaid packaging.

And now that it's put on the table for discussion...

Would it be too crazy for AMD to actually put GDDR5 support in it's APU IMC? You know, they already have AMD branded memory sticks and all...

It would REALLY work wonders for the APU in a lot of ways. I wonder if there are more limitations around standardization... Like servers not using GDDR5 with ECC, hahaha.

Cheers!

They would have to create a standardized interface for it, possibly adding a second memory bus to the APU. System memory would still be DDR3 (4 when it's out). It would increase the price which is most likely the reason they haven't pursued that option. But yes 1~2GB of GDDR memory would do wonders for the graphics performance of an APU.

It does but 990FX has features over the 970 depending on the end user, also 990FX boards are more aesthetically pleasing which is important in open window panelled chassis.

I would like to see FM2 boards come out with dedicated space to integrate GDDR5 onto, not like you need that much space and dump a heatsink on top. Remove a pointless PCI-e 4x slot and PCI slot integrate a Universal GDDR5 space and link it to the APU itself rather than running off the DIMMS, in theory things sound so simple.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
but the idea of amd's apu is that cpu and gpu will share same memory address so as to apply hsa and use gpu as fpu

this onboard ram can help intel as they only want visuals and don't want to replace fpu with gpu (glad intel is not reading this otherwise they may implement this and it will trash the apus of amd in gaming :whistle: )

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

There was me, thinking this thread was about AMD.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Her hair is so preddy I'm going to buy a GCN graphics card :O.

Dat hair is so light and fluffy.

I wish I had hair like that.

Damn targeted marketing... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.