AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 666 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid

Right now the Fx 8320 is just 120$ as well

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

What is turbo clock? L1i is too small, L2 too big.Nothing like Carrizo.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Carrizo is coming to mobile, desktop, and server...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
^^ It is not a question of playable/unplayable. The AMD card is providing 90--92% of the performance of the GTX 980. This small difference is statistically irrelevant, a simple drive update can close that.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

So it`s actually coming to Desktop? i thought it was not going to appear on Desktop.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Hmm...last word I had, carrizo was ULP only. There will be something for DT to succeed kaveri. Essentially 20nm is not a good process for DT product, among other things...

looks like yet another failure from glofo. with kaveri, amd set an aggressive perf./power target that glofo seems to have failed to meet, which prompted the process switch and sr-B. with carrizo, amd was being more aggressive and ambitious. so glofo crapped out. that makes intel the only one, despite their struggles with 22nm, with a working shrunk node (i wonder if that came out right....), and finfet.. for what it's worth.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

No, it doesn't look like that. In the first place, both Carrizo and Carrizo Lite are built on 28nm, not 20nm. In the second place Glofo is not responsible because SOI didn't match the hype and the whole SOI industry collapsed (including IBM foundry business). Glofo migrating from 32nm SOI to bulk (28 and 20 nm) and next FinFET was the right move.

Third, what Intel calls 22nm is what rest of industry (TSMC, Glofo...) calls ~26nm. Intel fabs aren't so ahead as their marketing dep. pretends. Moreover, the 28SHP process used in Kaveri brings densities are not achievable by Intel 22FF process node.

Fourth, the 20nm node was never aimed to high-performance products, because the whole PC industry was declining (still is) and Glofo planned the 20nm node and successors for mobile and other products...

glofo-roadmap.png

It is not random that AMD is introducing mobile products first, neither that Intel is doing the same with Broadwell Core M. The Broadwell-E chips for enthusiasts are delayed to 2016.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Yes. AMD has just announced officially Carrizo for All-In-Ones. There is another Carrizo desktop platform that is still unannounced. And then there are the rumors about a third line named Carrizo-D, although other sources say Carrizo-E.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

This wasn't done for short term cost savings. It was done to avoid bankruptcy. Even IBM can't make a fab profitable in 2014 so what chance did AMD have? GF backers have dumped roughly 20B into the fab to try and compete with TSMC. Money AMD had zero chance of securing.

AMDs biggest mistake has been breaking multiple contracts with GF that resulted in roughly 1.5B in penalties. Of which they still haven't recovered. Instead of 0.5B in debt they're over 2B in debt. Their interest payments on their debt are bleeding them dry and making many quarters that would have otherwise been profitable a loss.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Actually they broke the contracts, paid the huge price, and now switched a lot of their production back to GF. The 28SHP is a more advanced process than TSMC 28nm. Even their new Tonga GPUs are made at GF now.

Granted the x86 exclusivity contract sucked but GF did take 3B (or was it 5B) of AMDs debt off their back. That's more than the entire profits from PS4/XBone combined over their lifetime and then some. From GF perspective they saved AMDs arse, and AMD bailed on them by giving more business to TSMC.

GF got smarter the second time around with IBM and practically told them to %&#. IBM ended up having to pay GF to take the fabs off their hands.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I'm pretty sure that Tonga is made at TSMC.

http://i.imgur.com/ABzFRth.jpg

AMD will probably shift production back to Glofo because its much cheaper for them, especially because they still have a set wafer agreement with glofo that they can't even make use of as of now. GPUs will likely stay at TMSC for the time being unless they can't get 16nm due to demand or something.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Anything by the name Carrizo-D or Carrizo-E perchance?

jdwii

Splendid

Its probably cheaper since they're not always reliable tbh its a problem there all facing laltly

jdwii

Splendid

Its probably cheaper since they're not always reliable tbh its a problem there all facing laltly

8350rocks

Distinguished

Got clarification actually...they are going to do carrizo on 28nm across the board, so no CPU die shrink until new uarch. 20nm turned out so poor that they abandoned the idea of even using it for mobile at this point...so, not only will the DT parts be 28nm, but the ULP stuff will too now...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I already knew that notice, just as I also know that Cray has announced that will build supercomputers based in ARM SoCs made by another company. I know technical details and the performance of the 95W SoC...

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

+1 That's been said for years now,

Qualcomm eyes server market
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/36377-qualcomm-eyes-server-market

AMD prolongs A-series software deal; price cuts still a work in progress
http://techreport.com/news/27400/amd-prolongs-a-series-software-deal-price-cuts-still-a-work-in-progress

semiaccurate's mantle test part 5
http://semiaccurate.com/2014/11/21/mantle-showdown-mantle-outperform-directx-11/

if this is true, then glofo has screwed amd out of a potential step or three towards power efficiency advancement, die area, clockrate etc. i guess amd will launch zen and k12 on a new process and "hype" their "massive" power efficiency advantage over current apus and soc (seattle included). although it was already painfully obvious when amd had to put out a slide on "apu optimized process" b.s. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.