AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 694 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Wait, what? SRAM is faster than HBM. Stacked RAM could be used as L4.

It still doesn't make much sense that they would release it Q3 along with the Zen parts. Why would Carrizo for desktop be so late? Couldn't they do Q4 2015? It just doesn't make much sense. Anyways Summit ridge will be APUs too in most likely cases, how does AMD expect to sell bristol ridge unless it was like half the price of summit ridge's cheapest part?

The roadmap doesn't make sense simply because you can't launch so many products in 1 quarter and expect them to be successful, it also makes the rest of your year barren. A more reasonable roadmap would be Q1 bristol, Q2 arctic island, Q3 bristol ridge, Q4 K12 ect, ect.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I think that is the correct answer.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

OMG Q3 2016 at 28nm? they just love to do everything wrong...

This would mean that summit ridge will probably be at least $200 for a 4c/8t if the current APU pricing is kept steady, which is likely the case with a new platform. That is pretty insane if that is the case since the budget Zen cpus will be competing directly with w/e high end piledriver are still left.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Just think about it, Bristol will be a low end part. They don't need much more transistors because it don't have to be powerful. TDP also isn't the most important thing for desktops. 28nm is cheap. It will be the cheapest node for a long time.

http://www.techdesignforums.com/practice/files/2014/07/BEOL-costs.jpg
https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/attachments/content/attachments/11635d1406145622-sfdsoi2-jpg

It's just because Moore's law is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBrEx-FINEI

Moore's "Law" was never a law, just an observation of technological advancement. Was bound to slow down as the technology matured. I'm sure a century ago you could apply it to yearly industrial output growth. Everything ends.

I'll say it again though: If we don't figure out a new way of doing things, we're going to hit peak computing within the next decade or two. We're basically running out of room to simply "add more transistors". And we've tuned single core's about as much as they can go. Really interested to see what (if?) we come up with.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Hey, remember about graphene/silicene/whateverwillbenextbigthing. Maybe we will see gigahertz race again :D

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

In short, you have ignored anything I have said during last weeks, including when I wrote I am waiting a 256-bit FPU for Zen. Nice!

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
I will summarize my beliefs for Zen,

• ■ Mini-core ~5mm2 on Samsung/Glofo 14FF node
    ■ ~40% higher IPC over Jaguar/Piledriver
    ■ 2x128 bit FP/SIMD
    ■ DDR4; HBM optional
    ■ 3.0--3.5GHz
    ■ CMP (no SMT)
    ■ Lego-like design

I will change/update when I have more info.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I care less about the core and more if they will put out a Zen sans iGPU.

In the flurry of rumors/leaks that is the latest one, so that 95W Zen may be just 8 CPU cores, in which case those would be rather large for the 14nm node. "Summit Ridge"

The only sen without gpu cores will probably be workstation/server cpus(if those even come out in 2016), there is no reason for them not to put a couple GCN CUs and integrate it into sen for desktop to sell to OEMs and Business and ect. Maybe you can get some with the GPU disabled like the athlon 860k but that would simply be a salvaged part for yields. I expect AMD to follow intel's current strategy for the desktop which includes IGP on all the cpus.

Call me when they develop a bandgap that works, find a way to manufacture it at a decent cost, and find a way to implement it in chip level logic. But yes, we're looking at just about everything to find something with better properties then Silicon, since we can theoretically just ramp up clockspeed again to gain CPU power.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

They don't really need a desktop strategy if the consumer space is going mobile. They just need workstation/server similar to the Xeon line. Maybe 2 CU just so they don't need a dGPU to boot. Anything more starts being a waste when you got dGPUs with HBM.

Salvaging parts by disabling the GPU is better than scrapping parts but since the iGPU is getting to be over half the die they can't make money that way.

I doubt they will use half the die for GPU but who knows. The cores are tiny compare to the L3 cache in modern CPUs and they could just forgo that and put the GPU logic in there. I am thinking probably 4CU would be fairly competitive with intel's solution given memory constraints. I wonder if AMD will make it HSA compatible at that point because it would be hard to sell HSA if their low end APU beat their high end CPUs in HSA enabled applications.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

In the consumer space the iGPU is going to go well past 50%. Just look at the latest Broadwell using nearly 66% for the iGPU. And Skylake is supposedly going to add 50% more iGPU again.

Broadwell_2_plus_2_die_plot.jpg

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

there is dayinight gap between jaguar and piledriver ipc

Uhm no actually, they are pretty much equal from the review's I read (I'll have to dig through them though). Piledriver isn't as bad as people make out in terms of IPC, its failing is perf / w more than anything else (and is where Jaguar shines). Remember Jaguar only has 2 eu in it's pipeline compared to 4 in a Piledriver core so the fact it matches it in IPC is impressive. Jaguar's issue though is it doesn't scale above about 2ghz.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

the answer is quantum computing, we already have Dwaves adiabatic quantum processors, now we just need for them to figure out how to make a chip that is meant for more than one type of calculations, thats where its going very slow, while dwave already has 1024qubit chips they are useless for most of the markets, but are very useful for some others, everyone can agree that is the best way forward, the only question how long, also software will be a problem for those chips, but once it kicks in...

DWAVE has something that appears to have quantum effects, but the jury is still out on whether they have a quantum computer or not. In any case, a specialized processor is a lot simpler to make then a general purpose CPU.

Me? I'm still stuck on the "something between 0 and 1" concept. SW engineers are going to have nightmares when these things become mainstream.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

based on my read and calculations to level the clock gain, core counts and modular performance loss ( mostly cinebench, video conversion, 7zip compression )
depending on benchmark, on an average jaguar is 10-20% slower than piledriver in per clock per core performance, which is still considerable difference

Status
Not open for further replies.