AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 692 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Look at this:
http://ark.intel.com/products/81061/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v3-45M-Cache-2_30-GHz

18 cores at 22nm. So Haswell is small core now?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

i think that an apu will be better than 20 super slow cores, and that 20 core fx should be a false rumour
in apu side, they can do is die shrink, make 4-6 core core, add more gpu cores, add support for upto 4 channel ddr4 ram (which will be upto board manufacturer to utilize all 4 or use less for different budget board
this way their apu will be capable of 1080p 60fps gaming
currently they have edge over intel in igpu and this is the only way to get much ahead of intel
Intel won't even try to give quad channel, top of the line gpu in 100-200$ price point (apu price range)

i think this hypothetical apu is easily doable (if anyone thinks no then i will want to know why )

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

no that's not it, i found it luckily here it is http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/192858-visc-cpu-virtual-core-design-emerges-could-this-be-the-conceptual-breakthrough-weve-been-waiting-for

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
According to wiki AMD was the first one to use quad channel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad-channel_architecture

I guess the reason is the same as always: cost.
i guess it won't be high enough to justify millions of $ getting wasted in R&D every year just to get few % performance increase, and loosing many potential buyers who want 1080p but can't because apu can't do that and loosing those who bought some mid range cards like 265x because they can't pair it with apu, or those customers for whom above 1600mhz ram (taking ddr3 as example) is like a luxary or not available at their location

2 128bit controllers won't even take enough power or die area or won't increase pincount to unmanageable numbers

manufacturing a board with 4 channel support can increase cost by fraction but that will be upto board manufacturer to use all 4 channel or just 2 like now for different price segments board

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Funny because several months ago we were discussing the 20-core CPU leak using a 20 compute core APU as baseline for the modular approach.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

http://wccftech.com/amd-allegedely-readying-godavari-kaverirefresh-platform-launch-summer-2015/

AMD A10-8850K lifts graphics frequencies by 19 percent against A10-7850K

If true, I don't know who your inside source is but s/he doesn't seem to have very good access to information. Or s/he is adhering strictly to NDA as should be.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Oh my goodness. Q5 2015? I must be reading too many AMD roadmaps :^) I meant Q4 lol.

In regards, to Hawaii vs GM204, GM204 doesn't scale as well at all

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/19/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_sli_4k_nv_surround_review/3#.VMY0eH--TQ0

I'm not normally a fan of [H] but look. On the games where it matters and FPS is no obsurdly high (like Aliens: Isolation), 290x Crossfire is beating out GTX 970 SLI pretty handily, to the point where you're actually enabling extra features with the 290x Crossfire. I can't seem to find a good high resolution review with two GTX 980s in SLI and two 290xs.

I think GTX 900 series is going to have a few months of fame and then be abandoned by all but the "omg AMD drivers are terrible I had a 9700 Pro once and the drivers weren't that great I bet they're still not great I'm not gonna find out give me that delicious 4GB GTX 980* (*3.25GB usable)"

I think some of you have gone off the deep end as concern trolls for AMD. Some of you are right on the money. Part of AMD optimizing R&D money is getting third parties to pay for R&D, and they're doing that.

Honestly, one of the best ways to figure out what AMD's future looks like with Zen would be to get a list of their semi-custom customers and see what sort of demands they would have for products.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I thought that you did mean "reverse hyperthreading" because you said "the oposite of smt" and "amd co-developed" it. However, VISC doesn't match that.

VISC is developed by Soft Machines alone. AMD is only one of many other investors funding Soft Machines.

Moreover, VISC is not the opposite of SMT. As mentioned above, VISC is an ordinary cluster architecture, which has been studied in academia/industry during years. The single thread is fetched/decoded and then renamed and issued to each one of the execution clusters (VISC call them 'cores').

Above I explained some of the scaling up limits of VISC.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Ok i made a bit of mistake since i last heard of this quite some time ago and was pretty impressed by it, as to why i pointed to visc is that amd would benefit greatly from would it no(please clarify if i misunderstand it)? after all amd is an investor in it...

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
New Info on ZEN, Q3 2016 featuring up to 8 Cores:

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-featured-summit-ridge-family-14nm-processors-rumored-feature-fm3-socket-support-ddr4-memory-compatiblity/

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Ok i made a bit of mistake since i last heard of this quite some time ago and was pretty impressed by it, as to why i pointed to visc is that amd would benefit greatly from it, would it not (please clarify if i misunderstand it), but in basics isn't the opposite of hyper threading you are using many small cores to make bigger virtual cores? after all amd is an investor in it...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I have word that the A10-8850K doesn't exist

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-351#15126094

My source could be wrong and the Sweclockers/WCCFTECH leak right, but I found that difficult to believe.

First red flag: "Godavari" is the codename of the iGPU on Mullins.
Second red flag: 856MHz is not a valid frequency for Kaveri.
Third red flag: The ratio turbo/base clock is not valid for Kaveri. Moreover increasing the turbo frequency by 100MHz increases the performance by nearly zero percent.
Fourth red flag: Kaveri iGPU is bottlenecked even with unofficial 2400/2600MHz DRAM. Increasing the GPU clocks will increase the bottleneck. What would wait? 5% better gaming FPS?

8350rocks

Distinguished
The codename for next desktop part is finally leaked...godavari.

That is, indeed, the next desktop series cpu until Zen.

Also, wccftech must have gotten some good info from sweclockers, a lot of that lines up well with what I know.

That looks good, if they can pull it off with about the same per core performance as sandybridge, they will be a huge success. Its 8 cores with SMT at 95w, which is lower than the current intel 8 core parts. FM3 is expected as well as the DDR4. I hope everything comes together well, AMD needs a pretty good win on desktop.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

They need to keep alive for some time. If 380X won't be good they will be dead about year from now.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

TLS (also known as SpMT) is the opposite of SMT (what Intel calls hyperthreading).

As explained before, VISC is built on top of an ordinary clustered architecture. There is no cores, but a set of grouped clusters where each cluster is made of FUs, register file, scheduler unit, and data cache. The clusters are not full cores because lack fetch, decode, branch, and dispatch units, and also lack instruction cache. Soft machines name them cores by marketing purposes.

I also explained before which are the limitations of the approach.

Soft Machines would first finish the R&D, which is already late to Zen, and then sell/license the technology to AMD, if AMD had the money to purchase it.

They will be fine for another year or 2 even if they are losing as much as now but they are looking to turn it around this year. The 380x being good will help with that. The 970 vram issue will help AMD clear some existing stock as well even if only slightly.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

In this case WCCFTECH simply copied and pasted about word for word.

The Sweclockers report says lots of ordinary stuff: FM3 as replacement for FM2+, DDR4 as replacement for DDR3, 14nm (which was confirmed before), SMT (mentioned at K12 presentation),...

This leaves 95W TPD and the 8-core leak as the only new.

I still have my doubts about SMT, but let us assume the rest is accurate. Max of 95W TDP is current Kaveri top level and I don't consider that HEDT, but mainstream.

8-cores on 95W APU seems to confirm that the cores will be small and efficient rather than big and powerful.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Considering the TDP of Intel's top parts like 4770k, etc...95W on a 14nm process could very well equate to 125W TDP on 32nm process...

Status
Not open for further replies.