AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 690 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I change my posts so fast as AMD change the plans.

Initially AMD planned Carrizo on FM2+ as replacement for Kaveri. I posted the old roadmap showing up to 65W Carrizos. That was canceled.

Then AMD planned a Carrizo coming to desktop only in BGA format and up to 35W, with rest of desktop line being covered by a "Kaveri refresh" consisting of higher clocked Kaveris. I have been said that was was canceled as well.

My last info is that "Kaveri refresh" now consists of new models with essentially nothing new beyond minor changes such as firmware fixes. I am said that there is no higher clocks.

I see that Anton Silov claims otherwise. Cannot we just wait and see who is right, Anton or my source?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

i7-3770k same speed varying voltage
4.4%20GHz,%20Vary%20Voltage_575px.png

Stock%20Speed,%20Vary%20Voltage_575px.png

oh look man, i can't believe it, power consumption is approximately same throughout the voltage range
juan was right about p~v^3

fuck-that-bitch-yao-pff.png

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
AMD is already designing products on the 14nm node

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/79758-amd-already-designing-products-14nm-node/

FinFET and on Samsung/Glofo node, as I said.

No FD-SOI, no TSMC...

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Probably they are finishing Zen and need for money to complete additional designs. I mean they haven't released a new enthusiasts and server chips for few years.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hopefully this focus on the server market will include some HSA servers. With Carrizo they're supposed to reach HSA 1.0 compliance, it'd be great to have that in some servers where efficiency and data-parallelism can be very important.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

What Lisa Su said was "we will increase our R&D investments in enterprise, embedded, and semi-custom." The rest was invented/guesses by WCCFTECH.

Moreover during the rest of the talk she mentioned that AMD will reduce its "concentration in consumer PCs".

jdwii

Splendid

This makes me very happy. :)

TO the point i feel like saying YES OMG like a little school girl. I'll say this like Nasa Amd can spend their money well when they get very little!

Although this wasn't always the case

jdwii

Splendid

Either way juan it still means a bit more money for for those said things i noticed the same thing you did and i was like well its from some troll site that claimed bulldozer would be 50% faster and the same nonsense about the first gen phenom being like superior to Intel's quad cores.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Functions with a degree of 2 are parabolic (that is, the highest power x is raised to in any term is 2).

y = x^3 isn't parabolic or a straight line - it increases from the left, intersects the y-axis at x=0, then increases as x increases. You could get a better look at it in wolframalpha or some similar math-centred site.

*In specific workloads.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Yes, they are the same site that leaked the Baeca nonsense, and the inexistent 16-core Steamroller Opteron, and are the same site that claimed recently that Carrizo will be 2x faster than Kaveri and 3x faster than Iris Pro: nonsense^3

I didn't comment if what Lisa Su said is god or bad but I will share my beliefs.

AMD is divided into two groups: the enterprise, embedded, and semi-custom group and the computing and graphics group. Lisa Su said explicitly that will increase the R&D of the first group, but she didn't even mentioned the R&D for the second group (aka the group leaded by John Byrne before his departure). I only see two possibilities:

(i) The R&D of the the computing and graphics group remains frozen at its current low levels or
(ii) the increase in the R&D of the enterprise, embedded, and semi-custom group is made at cost of reducing still more the R&D on the computing and graphics group.

What interests me more are the parts that WCCFTECH didn't quote. Lisa Su said that part of the current problems of AMD are due to its "over-concentration in consumer PCs" and then mentioned that her long-term strategy will consist on reducing that concentration, including reduction of the "downstream desktop and AIB channel inventory"

She said "The computing and graphics segment decreased 15% sequentially, largely driven by weak channel sales" and then praised the embedded processor revenues.

It all together looks as AMD is not planning a comeback on the "consumer PC", but turning into an enterprise, embedded, and semi-custom company.

I think the K12 and Zen cores are being designed for their future enterprise, embedded, and semi-custom business and their appearance in some PCs will be a secondary effect. In fact, what I hear is that Zen/K12 are small and efficient cores (Jaguar style) instead big and powerful. Zen and K12 will be suitable for dense servers, kiosks, game consoles, network storage, avionics, and medical devices...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

We don't have to wait. I asked for clarification. I was half wrong and half right. I copy and paste:

The clocks will not raise beyond the current high-end levels (7850K / 860K) so essentially only some of the lower-end models are affected. The "upgrade" makes the gap between the high-end and main stream models little smaller.

Thus some basic Kaveri models will receive a refresh "clocked slightly higher" but the current flagship model, the A10-7850K will remain as the higher-clocked Kaveri ever. As I wrote before Don't expect a 4.1GHz 'Kaveri'. And I can confirm my previous claims that Kaveri refresh doesn't include new HSA features, nor HBM, nor anything: "there are no physical or technical changes in them."

8350rocks

Distinguished

Think you are glossing over a key part of that R&D budget. While, in this case, wccftech is making some inferences from the announcement...they are not unjustified in doing so.

Phenom I was a 'superior' design to Intel's quad cores of the time from an engineering perspective, given that Intel didn't have a proper quad core, rather 2 dual cores on one package.

Unfortunately for AMD, the Phenom I shipped with a defect seriously hampering it's performance, it didn't have enough cache due to transistor budgets, it didn't clock as high as it should have and there was no properly threaded software at the time to expose the benefit of a monolithic quad core over the technically inferior solution Intel had slapped together to beat them to the punch.

Intel pretty much validated AMD's design of Phenom when they neigh on copied it with the first Core processor. Also once AMD fixed the issues with Phenom I and re-released it they had a superb chip in Phenom II. It was definitely competitive with anything Intel had at the time, and the X6 did quite well against first gen i7. It was only when Sandy came out and then Bulldozer fell flat that things really went pair shaped for AMD.

jdwii

Splendid

I'm pretty sure the first Phenom cores were also the time when they feel behind performance per clock. But lets hold on here the Phenom II was great for the money but architecture wise Amd was late and the Phenom II was meant to compete with the quad cores Intel had not the I3-I5-I7 series. Its been kinda like this now for years now we can only wish and hope.

Now we have Intel locking everything down to save them money on chips that are already smaller and cheaper to make then Amds products.

jdwii

Splendid

It's like when a car manufacturer claims they can go from 0-60 in 4.6 seconds down a hill with fast wind. Or how Audio manufacturers claim 100 watts per channel at 1 khz.

Anyone remember the arguments that Phenom I was better then C2Q because "it was a REAL Quad Core"? Those were the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.