AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 688 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I was going to point out the texture fill numbers in the SiSoft benchmarks, however, looks like wccftech at least got the benchmark commentary correct.

Carrizo will have massive iGPU included, aimed specifically at mobile/ULP designs, and will probably have the top part coming in around ~65W at most.

There is another part coming for DT, different codename, will not be the same as the ULP parts scaled upwardly.

Zen and K12 still in the works...

is that upcoming sku/new apu/soc different for the updated display controller logic, new codecs, vce updates and.... stacked cache/hbm? hmm? i speculate so... :whistle:

still can't edit.
here's an addendum to my prev. post:
carrizo seems to have snipped pcie gen support to second gen and down from 16 lanes. i guess the upcoming dt part will have full 16x (or is it 20x? ;)) gen 3.0 lanes as well as cfx/sli support in it's integrated chipset...?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Firmware changes to Kaveri, a more mature node, and little more. There is nothing like "stacked cache/hbm".

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Kaveri refresh ( http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/36738-amd-has-kaveri-refresh-for-desktops ) or something new (Basilisk?)?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It is cubic only as approximation. Your mistake was that you treated voltage and frequency as independent quantities, but V = V(F)

This simply reflects your lack of familiarity with the topic. My last work on CPUs (Dec 2014) has a nice list of references that use the F^3 version for basic CPU modeling. My article also explains how to derive the cubic law from a slight generalization of the formula that you quoted from Wikipedia.

The cubic dependence of power with frequency also appears quoted in books

https://books.google.es/books?id=LZX00sPWqIYC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=power+cubic++frequency+cpu&source=bl&ots=EYQhiDVNl-&sig=sLq9MPZJ7QeAf73e7n-vUwSlvAc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sUW9VNW1JInrUortguAC&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=power%20cubic%20%20frequency%20cpu&f=false

Some Carrizo models will be clocked lower (compared to Kaveri) increasing efficiency.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Basilisk was canceled.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Source?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Either was overclocked or Sandra is reading wrong the clocks of the sample. I hope is the latter, otherwise would be slower than Kaveri.

jdwii

Splendid

I'm sure you know but keep in mind they have a keylogger installed. Also i did benchmarks way back 10 performs like 8.1 however with my Nvidia drivers i was getting lower performance in games(10-15fps loss i actually made youtube videos proving it)

Overall those problems will be fixed and i found 10 to be quite nice and with directx 12 i'm sure it will become the new 7 for gamers. I did hear they were going to get rid of the control panel if so that would suck and i have to wonder why they can't just leave things alone and JUST improve performance-battery life-security.

jdwii

Splendid

Who said that? I was under the conclusion that it will be and Intel even bragged about it being supported under their current Z97 platform.

Been known (or speculated) for a while now; early rumors had Broadwell being BGA only. Skylake is the next major architecture to look forward to.

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah luckily you can just unpin those tiles and have a start menu that looks like a ugly windows 2000 one. I mean why did they get rid of Aero?

Overall i use 8.1 and i just taught myself to use the windows explorer icon which i liked to call the my computer icon on 8.1 since it gives you that location one thing they changed in 10 which i liked.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

It's an approximation only valid when V = F. Then you link a graph where F goes up past 4Ghz, and you can be darn sure that the Vcore was not 4V, which makes it a broken and gross approximation. The CPU would fry. You're not going to get very far in engineering if you can't admit simple mistakes. Keep digging yourself in a deeper hole.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I was going to argue contradiction but then realized that by a la Richland you meant small tweaks on the architectural level. So a refresh would entail higher frequencies on nearly identical parts? Or even just higher binned parts?

I have a strange feeling that 'different codename' is Kaveri or some clever play on the word.

Stop there with Juan. Physicists love to say "the earth has no mass" and "assume the earth as a dot", so Juan can assume whatever he wants. Even flying cows. I don't care. Just don't drag that argument for everyone's sake 8)

Cheers!

8350rocks

Distinguished

Hmm...Samsung is going to offer 14nm FD-SOI in their foundry? Really?

Someone here said FD-SOI was dead. Who was it??? I am trying to remember, but memory is failing at the moment.

I think Samsung just partnered with a big chipmaker too...gosh, all the recent news, I cannot recall who it was.

Oh well...I must be senile.

Status
Not open for further replies.