AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 686 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Voltage is a function of frequency. As explained in my article about power consumption of CPUs, substituting the (very good) approximation V ~ f on the expression for the dynamic power gives the well-known cubic dependence that is quoted in many sites

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/the-new-era-of-tera-scale-computing

A concrete case. First the almost linear dependence of voltage with frequency

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/idontcare_photo_bucket/Intel%20Core%20i7-2600K/VoltageCurve.png

and then the almost cubic dependence of (dynamic) power with frequency

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/idontcare_photo_bucket/Intel%20Core%20i7-2600K/PtotalVccTGHzDataGraph.png

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Intel is the underdog on mobile. They have been barely competing thanks to the incentive program (which I only know for tablets/phones) and the foundry advantage (22nm FinFET against 28nm planar). But they cannot sustain the incentives forever (Intel loses in a quarter what AMD spends on R&D per year) and with ARM migrating to a more efficient 64bit ISA, and with the rest of foundries caughting (Samsung 14FF is already producing chips), Intel has no other option than abandon its pretensions and focus on new markets.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Looks like they used High Density Library in Carrizo, so clocks should be higher. Looking at Kaveri it will be at least 2.7GHz/3.6GHz at 35W and 3.5GHz/3.9GHz at 65W (if they would release anything like that).

jdwii

Splendid

http://www.maximumpc.com/intel_reports_record_year_despite_massive_drop_mobile_revenue_2015

Oh how will Intel handle record sales. I know by giving their research department more money!!!

jdwii

Splendid
^^^ Otherwise their research department as juan showed. Anyways this is an Amd thread but lets not pretend Intel is in some trouble. Even more so lets not pretend Intel is in more trouble then Amd. If i had to be in charge of one of them i would pick Amd over the challenge. I mean even Nvidia puts more money in their research department and they have a easier time atm.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

The tradeoff is peak frequency.

According to AMD with HDL reduce power consumption by 15-30% (probably because wires are shorter and it reduces leakages), so of course they can bump clocks a little. The problem is heat dissipation (because of smaller area), probably that's why we've never seen Excavator@95W on any leaked roadmap.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

High Performance Libraries are optimized for speed, whereas High Density and Ultra High Density Libraries are optimized for area. And since power is proportional to area, HDL also saves power.

The Carrizo equivalent to the FX-7600P will be clocked at about 2.1/3.4GHz (I guess).

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

You forgot the rest of the quote:

The tradeoff is peak frequency. These heavily automated designs won’t be able to clock as high as the older hand drawn designs. AMD believes the sacrifice is worth it however because in power constrained environments (e.g. a notebook) you won’t hit max frequency regardless, and you’ll instead see a 15 - 30% energy reduction per operation. AMD equates this with the power savings you’d get from a full process node improvement.

We won’t see these new libraries and automated designs in Steamroller, but rather its successor in 2014: Excavator.

The reason why we didn't see any Excavator @95W is because HDL reduce clocks and the originally planned 65W Carrizo would be clocked at about 3.3GHz (base). My guess is that the 28SHP (Super High Performance) node is too expensive for AMD and changed it by the cheaper GF28A node which doesn't scale up well above 3GHz.

As a consequence any APU above 35W appearing in old roadmaps was canceled.

A cheaper node plus smaller dies plus socket compatibility (Carrizo/Carrizo-L) reduce costs. This gives me the belief that AMD whole strategy consists on competing against Broadwell on price.

logainofhades

Titan

I would take Android over Metro. :vomi:

Well I'd actually argue they might be shooting at competing with Broadwell on performance as well *but only up to the 35w power envelope*.

The thing is, when you look at the performance of Intel's 'U' parts (which are turning up in loads of form factors, not just ultrabooks- presumably because they're cheaper), they are 99% of the time dual core and not really that fast (much slower than the previous generation 'M' components for example, albeit with much lower power usage).

The point is if AMD can maintain or slightly exceed the performance of Kaveri quad core implementations, whilst simultaneously reducing power consumption significantly, all of a sudden they could potentially be very competitive with Intel for lower wattage parts. You'll be comparing an Intel dual core + ht vs an AMD quad core part, but if the power consumption is comparable then fair enough (that was the point of their architecture in the first place after all).

The thing is the decisions taken to make the chip competitive at the 15 - 35w power range also mean it won't scale up to higher power designs. So they'd either have to make a second die on a different process node, or not release one (and it looks like the latter is the case). Whilst that's disappointing for desktop users, I'd take a decent AMD quad over a dual core i3 with HT any day if the performance is a bit better *and it has better GPU thrown into the deal*. I actually think that is possible. Kaveri looked much better at low clocks than Trinity / Richland for example (but doesn't higher up).

At the end of the day this looks like they're playing to the strengths of what they have. Carrizo isn't going to win any outright performance awards however I think it has the possibility to be really good if they've done their sums right. Obviously I could be wrong I guess, though I remember low power Kaveri was actually quite impressive, it just didn't scale up enough on the Desktop (something like 90% of the performance of the top part at 45w).

I just hope AMD gets more design wins with carrizo than kaveri. Currently most AMD laptops I find at bestbuy are Kabini or Richland. And they are all cheap laptops with terrible design. If AMD doesn't do something about that, they won't be able to really do anything no matter how good their new chips are. Its so hard to find an AMD laptop thats not crappy screen and a decent battery.

logainofhades

Titan

I do not like Metro in phones, tablets, or windows 8. There isn't enough beer in the world to make me like the look of Metro.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I'm probably a bit late to the party on this but this write up takes a fascinating look at adaptive clock scaling. Really has a lot to do with why Kaveri shows diminishing returns as frequency goes above 3Ghz. I wouldn't be surprised if Carrizo only increases the aggressiveness of this feature.

jdwii

Splendid

Your in the majority with this feeling so don't feel bad, i'm a person who dislikes IOS however i'd use it way more then W8 phones any day.

I HATE the look of metro i KNEW people would to since windows phones never took off.

I was just looking at it the other day and looking at metro also made me feel like the old days were android looked newer. Not only that but the tiles are just an inefficient design even when you shrink them they are bigger then a icon.

jdwii

Splendid

The reality is Intel is spending 10 times the amount as Amd regardless of why means nothing. Back in the day when Amd did win or make a competitive design they were spending more money and they were closer to Intel's budget. Not only that but you can't base things on history and try and claim it can repeat itself without evidence even more so with technology its illogical to do so.

CPU's have gotten more complicated since 1999 and Intel will NOT allow it to happen again. They even came right out and said it. To sum of the athlon destroying pentium 4 thing- Amd was putting WAY more money towards their research and Intel was really doing bad in terms of CPU engineering.

As for the Amd offers more money for research since there company is so small. Well duh if anything i wouldn't really brag about that since Amd is in more markets then Intel atm.
Trying to stay competitive in CPU's and GPU's isn't easy Intel is just pushing for a one design for all approach for their X86 architecture while improving their GPU.

Anyways juan has nothing to do with reality or budgets even if he wished he did. No one here does its facts and spreadsheets anything beyond that is opinions.

Intel can spend as much R&D as it wants but the gains you get aren't as good as they used be able to get just by throwing money at it. Intel spent 5x anyone did on process tech and is still doing it while they are still losing their lead. Its just not going to be easy for intel to keep its lead through R&D alone in the long run. They are slowing down big time and sooner or later, the silicon will just become too volatile that even with intel's spending, they won't get more than a couple percent out of it than the competition who spend a small fraction of what intel spends.

jdwii

Splendid

wait your like juan pulling numbers out of thin air to fit your narrative, p4 was released in 2008 intels R&D at the time was 7 billion dollars amds was only 1.7bil
amd-http://static.cdn-seekingalpha.com/uploads/2014/8/4/saupload_95687689f29cdcb215eee2a237661f7c.png

intel-http://static.cdn-seekingalpha.com/uploads/2014/8/4/saupload_3802b574dde8184878e8641e7c1765da.png
[/quotemsg]

The Pentium 4 WTF. It as released in 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.