AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 687 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid
However Juan it seems like Intel was spending way more then Amd at the time i found this article
http://www.economist.com/node/420872
"So far, the effect of AMD's new-found success has been to knock smaller rivals out of the consumer market rather than to cut into Intel's share of the corporate market. That could change if AMD maintains the past year's triumphs. But what should be most worrying for Intel is increasing evidence that AMD, with a research-and-development budget less than 15% of Intel's, may actually be out-innovating it."

If we look at current trends Amd is spending 8.8% as much as Intel. I still say Intel is spending that in one area more then Amd is which is trying to compete with Nvidia and Intel.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I see your rooky mistake now. You took the dumbed down example from Intel where they normalized voltage and frequency to 1, and assumed that is valid for real processors as well. It was just an example so the layman can follow along.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Intel spends more money but they're also in more segments and a significant portion of that is on the fabs. If AMD can focus their R&D wisely they can still compete in some areas. ARM spends 1/3 of what AMD does on R&D and that isn't holding them back at all.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

me too
metro on my desktop makes me vomit and feel retard :whistle:

i will say that a window ;) should have glass like vista or 7 instead of cheap plastic looking thing of 8 onwards
i tried w8 and after few minutes i ran it in window basic theme to reduce its ugliness :vomi: it looks that ugly

i can switch to w8 if i can find some modification software which will make it look exactly like vista or 7 ( just like softwares which used to make xp look like vista)
but then gta5 dosen't need dx12 so why even bother

Agreed, I think we would have to separate what money Intel is spending on Fabs and what money it is spending on CPU development to make a fair comparison.

As we've seen AMD are cutting product lines left and right (things dissapearing from the road maps) and are focusing on very specific thigns. Their stratergy to make their various IP blocks modular is also sound as once that modular framework is fully in place it should *hoepfully* last them a few generations before it becomes a bottleneck, allowing them a great deal of flexebility and also allowing them to further focus their limited R & D spend on the areas that need it most (i.e. improving the blocks- all this work on HSA is about creating the framework for said blocks and whatever you think of it, it's now complete).

I'm not suggesting this means AMD will automatically take the performance crown immediately, however I do think the 'AMD is doomed' mentality around here is premature.

1: I think Carrizo will look good in it's power envelope, +1 to hoping they get into some decent products (the business class Kaveri parts are in some nice ultra thins btw in the HP Elitebook range so that's something :)).

2: I think K12 and Zen are likely to be considerably more competitive with Intel than the current position.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

AMD doesn't have the money to do a second die on a different process. In fact it seems that no Kaveri refresh (a la Richland) is coming. It seems that AMD will release some new Kaveri models, but without anything really new.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It is irrelevant if Intel spends all its money on R&D or only a part. It is irrelevant if Intel spend the rest of the money on ONGs or on their marketing dept. or what. AMD has been very competitive when the R&D budgets were close and when Intel did mistakes (Itanium, P4). Intel is not doing such mistakes with Broadwell or Skylake.

My point is that there is no hard data to believe that AMD will do a comeback. Of course anyone is free to believe the contrary. I recall people believing that Bulldozer would crush Intel and then believing that Piledriver was coming to fix evereryiting, and then believing that Steamroller was going to crush Haswell, and latter hoping that Excavator would be the real game changer.

Now we know that Excavator could even be slower than Steamroller, some people believes that Zen will be the game changer and when Zen was ready and disappointing then they will expect for post-Zen...

This thread always goes in circles. We are back to two years ago, when I said that Piledriver was the last FX CPU and that SOI was dead, and people who didn't trust me was expecting for a Steamroller 8-core FX CPUs and claimed that Kaveri was made on SOI.

Even after the truth was revealed and my claims confirmed people still didn't believe them. A group of people signed a public petition for AMD releasing FX Steamroller CPUs (the petition was nowhere), whereas I recall one of that people who saw the acronym "SHP" on one of Kaveri slides presentation and claimed that Kaveri was SOI.

I will not insist more in this issue. I will leave history to run and reveal the future as it is, not as some want it to be.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

X86 is near its limits. That is why Intel is developing new ISAs.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

No. I gave you the link as simple example of the cubic law being quoted. The cubic law appears in books and papers dealing with CPU design, which evidently you did never read. I also give you the figures with data measured for a real processor: a SB i7. Of course the cubic law also applies to AMD designs. It is the reason why a FX-CPU @ 4GHz is rated at 125W, whereas the same CPU @ 4.7GHZ is rated at 220W.

Apples to oranges. We are comparing budgets for x86 (Zen) vs x86 (Skylake). Thanks to the ISA, it is cheaper to develop an ARM CPU than a x86 CPU.

Andrew Feldman, former server head at AMD, mentioned that one could build an entirely custom chip using the ARM architecture in about 18 months for about $30 million in development costs. But it requires three or four-years and $300 million to $400 million to build an x86-based one.

That is why several companies are developing ARM server chips with same performance or even more than the best x86 designs.

That would suggest then, that despite AMD's relative budget shortfall, they have the money (and I'd argue expertise) to develop a good custom ARM core in K12.

logainofhades

Titan

Downloaded the technical preview. Gonna give it a try, as soon as I can find me a spare HDD, that I do not mind wiping.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

It's cubic with respect to V^2 * F. As the article and pictures you linked showed. You're the only person I've ever seen try to simplify the equation down even further to F^3.

X86 is the longest lived stopgap solution in history.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I was talking about performance.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

About K12. I agree that R&D budget constraints are not so relevant for K12. But I don't think they have so much expertise. Keller mentioned how his team of engineers believed had found a mistake in the ARM ISA but in the end it was an mistake in AMD tools. This anecdote doesn't put the team in good shape.

A problem for K12 is that it is constrained by Skybridge. As Kanter said me the designs are very close and he expects K12 to be 10% better at best.

We can take a look at competition. We know lots of details about other's chips, but AMD remains mysteriously silent and that is very suspicious. We know that Cray chose Cavium instead AMD. We know Feldman abandoned AMD. Moreover, AMD vicepresident claiming that K12 won a single cheap design makes me think that the K12 will not be anything special.

Of course, we have to wait and see but all signs point to K12 being more a meh! than a WOW!

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

ARM's design, not ARM ISA...

I can tell you few similar stories about my team. It doesn't mean that team is incompetent or something. Everyone makes mistakes, it's normal during development.
Looks like it wasn't a good idea from PR standpoint and non-technical people like you now think that holy Keller leads bunch of losers.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I had to refresh my mind and found the original Keller's claim

Our guys were so excited when they thought they’d found a bug in the ARM architecture using our tools [...] Turned out, it was a bug in our tools.

ISA and microarchitecture are subsets of architecture. The quote is not precise enough to know what exact bug they believed had found.

The MintBox Mini is a silent, quad-core Linux Mint PC that fits in your pocket
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2871328/the-mintbox-mini-is-a-silent-quad-core-linux-mint-pc-that-fits-in-your-pocket.html

crapload of wccfudtech rumors

AMD Allegedly Preparing 28nm Trinidad GPU To Replace Curacao Pro – Arrives In March, Features 2 GB VRAM and 256-bit Bus
http://wccftech.com/amd-allegedly-preparing-28nm-trinidad-gpu-replace-curacao-pro-arrives-march-features-2-gb-vram-256bit-bus/
AMD Carrizo Benchmarks Leaked – Double The Performance of Kaveri
http://wccftech.com/amd-carrizo-graphics-benchmarks-leaked-double-performance-kaveri/

my past posts have gotten lost during submission. fingers crossed for this one....

8350rocks

Distinguished

Cazalan 1 > juanrga 0

Real math > made up math

Status
Not open for further replies.