AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I don't really want AMD to get out of the desktop market and don't think it needs to either.

Regardless of what jdwii keeps on saying about AMD's desktop generalities. (To me what he is saying doesn't make good sense, although I understand what he has said, and said multiple times, I do not agree with it.) I am buying an APU for me and my mom, and maybe my sister. I'm sure lots of other people will buy AMD for different reasons. Desktop market is still good, it's not GREAT anymore, but it's still good. For both parties. Millions are made n'stuff. AMD did say it expected to break even. (eventually)

Desktop market after 2020 might be not so good, but that is farther than this thread has any capability to speculate accurately lolz

The current line up of released info for CPU is only about 3 generations right? 2017 or something absolute max I'd say for all of it (or most) to be already out and about in the market, prevailing winds hitting the CPU's proverbial sails. And new generations revealed and/or in use.. I wonder how much it would have changed by them for AMD and Intell. :?

~not to derail the topic more but here:

I don't like Windows 8 much, and have already bought the Windows 7 Family pack for me and my brother just this month.
lol
We both run XP still, windows 7 is an actually an upgrade, in some cases, from that. Still going to use XP though (albeit offline after 2014 if necessary), since some software won't be compatible.

I do think that Windows is going the wrong direction with making hardware drivers and older software programs obsolete every new OS. Many older games that are good (but millions still haven't played abandoned ware ftw) are completely incompatible with newer OS's and won't ever be updated. Even if it's just to 64-bit. But that's a different matter..

I want windows to make a special offline edition of windows that has exacting compatibility with it's older OS's. XP and Vista (windows 7 when it's old) DOS and maybe even 95. An OS that doesn't use "modes" but is actually compatible (maybe some sort of reboot switch state?), that people can use to play older games and utilize older software. Just have Internet striped out or something...

Windows XP Legacy edition, no Internet. Pure Windows XP (pro at least) buyable for at most $100.. as if lol

Either that or people need to start an initiative for the release of Source Code for software that have been abandoned by their producers. So they can last generations via re-compileing. If the source code still exists.. Maybe some sort of special cheap/free licensing for re-compileing.
.. I had a temporary vision of understanding for how it would work but it's probably not accurate to reality..
A sort of foundation with special regulations. If done well, and the regulations aren't to restrictive but prevent abuse, it could be really great. Maybe non-profit xO or like a bank for source code LOL. Games can be akin to art and books, preserved in some places by people, casually destroyed in others...

You can still run older OSes in virtual machines. XP is still supported (AFAIK) in VirtualBox and VMWare for that matter.

And unfortunately, the trend AMD has been showing is not new. It already has like 6 years. Ever since Intel got Conroe out (Core2 gen1), AMD has been in a downward spiral with no stopping. They bet big on ATI and sold their foundries later on, so their cashflow and control went to the drain. Also, when they bought ATI, they also sold the IPs for low power computing to Qualcomm (don't know if it was only the VGA part of that).

Cheers!

ProSnipor

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I hear reports of steamroller being delayed until 2014. Also AMD is talking with JP Morgan, not a good sign at all. I am genuinely worried, even though they denied the possibility of them selling the company, what CEO would admit that until the very last minute, or when an actual deal is struck? (In privacy of course)

Uh oh: Corporate restructuring time:

http://allthingsd.com/20121116/amd-prepares-for-january-reorganization-including-more-job-cuts/

As we communicated during our third quarter earnings results, we expect to take further restructuring actions in the first half of 2013. At that time, we did not know what specifically they would consist of or if they would be material. We have not provided any updates since then and don’t comment on rumor or speculation.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
the problem with AMD is, you can't justify a purchase. i mean i'm seriously 95% willing to buy an AMD fm2-based system this holiday to "donate" money to them but i just can't. that i3 3220 is just ludicrously attractive with its "22nm bazongas".

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I'm seriously just waiting at this point for *some* company, any company, to produce an APU that can outperform my current system. And unfortunately, AMD is providing zero competition. I want them to sellout just so somebody else can bring back some high end alternatives.

come back in 3 years.

so you are buying into marketing and saying you can't will yourself to donate? Sounds like the comsumerist society we live in alright.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

I am going to buy Trinity as it suits my needs. "justifying" it is easily done, I don't need to though why should I?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

what needs?

intel just does it better. i know PD won't hit the APU cores till steamroller gets aboard (which is far far away) but these APUs, just won't/never make sense in a desktop if you're talking about trinity.

i mean the only victory AMD had achieved the past 6 years is the "IGP gaming crown". but that's like a non-disabled person winning the paralympics.

and from what AMD's roadmap had foretold (10-15% increase in performance) steamie is DOA. i mean i'm no expert but to what haswell will bring to the table....

i've a feeling adreno will outlive AMD. that single piece of tech that could've turned their fortunes around. ahh imagine a 64bit AMD-ARM SOC circa 2012.

peace.

re-word it so it sounds like a rickroll...... that's how i felt after i opened s/a homepage(if that rumor is true). :lol: :sol: :whistle:
on another note, sounds like this is amd's 'suck it, !@#$' to their faithfuls (again, if this is true).

Actually the word you're looking for, is "moot"..

If true, looks like OBR was correct after all, despite all the hate he got over in the PD thread..

A shame, really, and I blame AMD's management - esp. Hector Ruiz - for AMD having to abandon their high end. I expect we'll see another round of layoffs soon after Q4 ends and AMD will shrink to maybe 8000 employees or less.

I wonder if JP Morgan has an agenda /cheapconspiracy

Well, aside from making money out of any bleeding company, hahaha.

Too bad for AMD. Now it's just a matter of time before they tear it apart and strip them down.

Cheers!

If true, AMD is going to go bankrupt, no maybe about it. ARM ONLY makes sense for mobile; it doesn't have the performance to compete at the high end. As AMD has no mobile strategy, and ARM will fail in servers, AMD will have no market left that wants its products.

Saw this coming though.

LOL. so much for pd 'flying off the shelves' (as quoted recently by a c.a.l.f.)...

amd's mobile apus are worth buying.

*c.a.l.f. - clueless amd loving fanperson

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

S|A says the "big cores" are gone. Could this mean that all the next gen will be APU's only ? So we will get SR, but it will only be available paired with the GPU part.

^ If true, I'd interpret AMD canceling Kaveri/Steamy as they were not able to get the 15% performance increase over Vishera, as stated in their old roadmap from last year. Or else not competitive with Haswell. Or both.

So despite being a year away according to the roadmap, it wasn't finished yet and AMD didn't see it as earning any return on continuing development.

So that would mean AMD wasted a lot of time and money, which they can ill afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.