AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

We'll see, but things are NOT looking good for AMD right now. Quite clear they are basically done now, if Charlie is accurate (as he has been in recent memory).

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/19/amd-kills-off-big-cores-kaveri-steamroller-and-excavator/

Doubt this is true. Just putting it out there...

Bulldozer did alright in the server market. So i doubt they would ditch steamroller entirely.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

If you look closely, they got an update and said the big cores are still on track.

hear that? that was the collective sigh of relief of thousands of amd faithfuls and would-be s/a haters.
good thing amd wasted no time to respond. on a less optimistic note, amd just didn't want to scare away investors... :whistle:

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

:lol: That's pretty funny considering everyone is listening to outside sources of information instead of straight from the Dog's mouth. Imo, they probably will sell the company... I'd like to see Nvidia get into the Big Core CPU game. Also, love your grammar.

Probably because said outside source has been consistently right, and the Dogs mouth has been consistently wrong.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Lol, its on the internet, it must be true! :lol:

charlie has always been 50/50, though he is generally pretty good at snooping something out if there is something this big. We will have to wait till the end of Q4 for things to be announce from AMD most likely.

jdwii

Splendid

I don't understand how a company can do so bad when they have quite a good GPU

It has a lot to do with management i'm sure, kinda hope this is not true because if true Intel will be the only option for many.

I don't understand how a company can do so bad when they have quite a good GPU

It has a lot to do with management i'm sure, kinda hope this is not true because if true Intel will be the only option for many.
AMD doesn't have brand power and not nearly as much as nvidia, people buy nvidia no matter how good AMD's gpus are. Last year where the entire best cpu for the money list on toms was AMD cards, nvidia was still outselling AMD. AMD's marketing is virtually nonexistent but whenever they try to push their products, everyone hates on them. A lot of it has to do with AMD being too soft, nvidia and intel does what ever it take to make money, AMD trys to just make products at a lower price point. It doesn't give much profit and the business become unsustainable after a while.

ARM, PPC, SPARC, Itanium, and a few other CPU architectures.

Granted, none of these can run WINDOWS, but there are plenty of stable, alternative OS's that run fine with these architectures.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

How is losing marketshare, "doing alright"? :heink:

jdwii

Splendid
I meant real CPU manufacturers with at least I3-I5 performance Intel will be the only option in lots of markets.

Not to mention who will keep Nvidia honest? They all ready charge to much some times.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20121119225031_AMD_Readies_Another_Round_of_Reorganization_Lay_Offs.html

Oh yes, more layoffs... surely that will produce better CPUs.

Maybe AMD should do a HP and stop making graphics cards. :)

They could make ice-cream and waffles. Green ones. Surely!

Woot, let's run Adobe Illustrator CS6 on my beastly new ARM rig :)

Then we'll go in for some nice hardcore Civ 5.

After that I'll relax and surf the internet with Firefox.

(EDIT: Oh wait, that actually runs on ARM, silly brain.)

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

kinda funny on one of the other threads, one person was convinced that losing AMD is a good thing, thinking the government would step in and break up Intel into several sub-compaines ...

ARM is only sort of a cpu. They have no desktop parts, they have no motherboards, no video power for real performance, ect.

what could be interesting tho is if AMD has a trick up their sleeve with ARM. X86/arm/x64. Only problem would be getting microsoft to work in the update necessary to run all 3 on one system at the same time.

As far as "big cores" vs APU, we all pretty much knew SR was going to be an APU. "Big cores" may be referring to 8 full cores, with an APU, that would be an even bigger cpu.

My post from a different thread...

Well, I have stated in numerous posts over the past several months that AMD really needs to kill of socket AM3+ because the need to scale back their expenses. Focusing on socket FM2 for the consumer market makes sense for AMD both in the short term and long term. Basically having both APU and CPU for the consumer market is not really viable since both processors basically competes with each other for financial resources within AMD. Additionally, there is some sales cannibalization with consumers who are basically deciding if they should go with either socket FM2 or AM3+ as opposed to socket FM2 / AM3+ vs. socket 1155 (Intel).

AMD fans will not like the idea of the demise of socket AM3+ since it more or less means the only choice will be the lower end performance of socket FM2, but it really is the time for AMD to make the tough decision even though it is at the expense of the consumers. After all which scenario would be worse:

1. AMD continues to produce both AM3+ and FM2, but eventually faces the dire situation of running out of money to develop either one any further. And that hasn't taken into consideration the Radeon graphic cards yet. The outcome may actually be bankruptcy and the liquidation of AMD's assets. I would assume at that point VIA technologies would be interested in acquiring some AMD assets and patents.

2. The actual end of production of socket AM3+. AMD will truly stop competing with Intel in the performance arena. However, they will likely survive as a smaller leaner company with the prospect of growing again. Yes, people looking for a performance CPU will not doubt buy Intel whether they like it or not. But AMD's APUs are still a viable product for both laptop and desktop. The important take away is that AMD may live to fight another day.

While AMD's APUs are rather lackluster in performance at the moment, if they sole focus on that single product line for the consumer market, they should be able to improve performance and power consumption in later generations. Unfortunately, the APUs are a bit power hungry compared to Intel's Ivy Bridge CPUs and recently I have been recommending Ivy Bridge over Trinity for HTPC builds simply cause in the long term Ivy Bridge does use less electricity than Trinity; especially the Core i3 CPUs. Of course in cities where the cost of KWH is relatively inexpensive the argument holds little value. But for those who pays a lot per KWH (like 2x the national average), then power efficiency can play a larger role.

Hopefully AMD will push forward with the development of ARM server chips. While they may not match the performance level of the Opteron CPUs, they should end up costing less to purchase and reduce power consumption. Those two points should make ARM server chips an attractive alternative for small / medium businesses who are willing to give up some performance for a lower purchasing price as well as lower operating costs.

Hopefully the development of ARM server chips will also mean that AMD can get a shot to crack into the world of mobile devices (tablets & smartphones) where ARM based processors known as SoC (System on Chip) rules. It's not going to be easy though since Qualcomm and nVidia are amongst the larger and well known players in the SoC segment. Others include Samsung and Apple. Texas Instruments exited out of the SoC market because they feel the overall revenue generated by SoC is too small for them to bother with. They are currently in negotiations with Amazon to sell their SoC division. How much? Dunno. $3 - $4 billion perhaps?

I suspect AMD is worried about the bottom falling out of their stock price if this rumor takes hold and spreads. But yeah I think there's still a good chance Steamy's "track" will prove to be pretty short, right after the Q4 conference call. I'm sure JP Morgan will have given AMD various plans by then..

AMD plans to lay off 15% of its workforce, or around 1700, this quarter to reduce operating costs so to reach $1.3 billion break-even point in 2013. Apparently, AMD will not stop here and will continue to reduce its headcount to reduce its costs. Unfortunately, AMD still does not know how many people will need to be shown the door. What should be noted is that AMD managers are waiting to see how many more people quit on their own accord between now and January – and thus do not require expensive severance packages.

If true, looks like I called it first :p..

Seriously though, I hope AMD doesn't cut too deeply into their core engineering staff this time - they won't be able to compete with anybody in any space without engineers..

If the government was going to do that, I'd think they would have done it during the height of the AMD-Intel lawsuit (i.e., before the settlement in 2009). And it probably would have been good for the industry, splitting Intel into design and fab. Or at least forcing Intel to open its fabs to other customers esp. AMD and maybe NV. That would have evened the playing field to a considerable extent so that the best designs could compete directly with each other. I'd bet we would have seen Bulldozer on time and with decent yields anyway..

Status
Not open for further replies.