AMD Delays Battlefield 4 Mantle Patch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Pretty sure It only benefits GCN video cards even the older 6000 series cards wont get support. Yea you will still be able to run games that use mantle but you wont get any benefit from optimizations.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

That's because AMD is choosing to only support GCN cards with Mantle, but they made the API freely available so intel or Nvidia could support mantle with any of there cards if they want too.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Poor uninformed Nvidia Fan boy. The mantle patch has absolutely nothing to do with the current BF4 problems. Mantle is just a new API designed to bypass Direct X for improved performance. I am running BF4 on my Amd cards on 3 monitor eyefinity setup and I really haven't had many issues either.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

I think most of the issues are related to balance issues . there is an annoying rubberbanding effect on some servers. but not all of them and i have not noticed it lately. Personally I love the game As it is now. they need to make a mode other than hardcore and make it more realistic. I just hope they don't turn it into bf3 all over again. too many people exspect the game to be like call of duty and personally I dont find anything about that game challenging.

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
People seem to fail to understand that a low level API is not open by nature. AMD Mantle may offer royalty free source code, but that doesn't mean jack to Intel and NVIDIA. Intel and NVIDIA can't shoehorn their architectures onto Mantle (which is built for and only GCN) without it not working or if it didnt have an emulator which would have lower performance than if it ran on DX11.

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
sucks i was waithing as i have a hd 7950 on a side note they have skyrockted in price and now im thinking of selling and getting agtx 770 3 gb with no out of pocket money my card runs so nice but i just got skyrim and it runs ugly

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
one more thing game has been running on my rig since latest patches i have amd gpu with a intel cpu so i dont know how it runs on amd cpu i will download it to my 2nd pc with a fx6100 and hd 7850 well hope it runs like bf3 that pc rocked at that

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
@Kewlx25 you would look at mostly a 3x to 4x boost not 10x and your fps will go up around i would likely say 10 fps giving a more realistic point of view

So you are saying that an API written specifically for the GCN architecture will also work on the Kepler and Maxwell architecture? That would mean that they are one and the same would it not?

redeemer

Distinguished

Mantle is proprietary to GCN but will eventually be open according to AMD..so what do you think this means? Yeah Mantle is highly programmable..? Or Mantle can support any architecture?

redeemer

Distinguished

Backfoot really? Console deals, Kaveri, Hawaii... you need to wake up AMD is doing excellent. They do not need to compete with Intel they cannot no one can in that space. As far as drivers go Nvidia has their fair share, just head over to their forums.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/648687/geforce-drivers/-official-nvidia-331-93-beta-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-11-27-13-/46/

SLI BF4 is still broken, stuttering in BF3 continues, COD Ghost which was an Nvidia sponsored game was a disaster as with Tomb Raider. 4K BattleBox, Shield and Tegra all failures. So yes both companies can do better this year right?

Until evidence emerges to the contrary it only works on one architecture, unless you can prove otherwise with something that doesn't involve AMD's PR of course?

redeemer

Distinguished

The Delay comes from DICE/EA not AMD

Which has what to do with the architecture?

redeemer

Distinguished

You still do not get it, Mantle will be open and its up to Nvidia entirely how they go about using it. AMD is not responsible for adapting mantle to Nvidia's architecture. These companies can opt to use Mantle through dev tools.

You make it sound like AMD PR is evil ha, you mean Nvidia paying carmack sweeney andersson to talk about G-Sync making it look like the best thing since sliced bread. But when andersson talks Mantle..you go after AMDs PR??

If you don't like me quoting AMD PR then your problem is with AMD's PR not me and until Mantle is seen to be running on something (other than a dubious demo) it isn't open, it doesn't even really exist as far as the paying customer is concerned which is something you don't seem to "get".

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Tom's posted an article which basically stated that Mantle was "proprietary" in nature so like mouse monkey say's I will believe it when I see proof. Said article was related to when mantle was first introduced. When they were discussing what developers who would be taking part in mantle related optimizations. So to say invidia related cards would be supported would be be a direct conflict of interest As Far as AMD is concerned.

Yes and no, there has already been a Mantle demo from a different company with a different game. What it seemed to show is that Mantle works but what it didn't show was any comparisons so there was no way of telling whether Mantle made things worse or better.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
The Mantle launch vehicle couldn't have went much worse...LOL. This is what you get when you hitch your wagon to the most hated company in USA for 2 years running, and on top of that the worst release in the history of Battlefield. They should have beta tested for another 3 months and maybe we wouldn't be talking about lawsuits and patch hell.

I really hope this big graphics+10hr game play era dies soon. I'd rather have 2010 graphics but with 2000 game play as opposed to what we get now with 2013 graphics and next to nothing game play (which I label as anything under 20hrs of single player play). I'm not sure who keeps deciding my game play should be $6/hr but this sucks. Bring back less graphics and 3x the play time with more engrossing stories etc.

I hope EA goes bankrupt soon, along with all other devs that make games that are ~$6/hr of fun. I'm tired of $60 games that are finished in a saturday. They are worth $15 tops and microtransactions should be illegal. Literally you go to jail for it...LOL - all of that crap should be IN the game already at $60.

I'm not at all shocked this got delayed. I won't be surprised if it gets another delay in Jan either. Coding for Mantle clearly takes time. You will always be facing this, as opposed to something more like Gsync which doesn't need dev help. I really hope AMD is working on some Gsync type tech. Mantle will be lucky to see 20% which I can easily get from a gpu upgrade that affects ALL games forever and ONLY one dev has even said 20% is "not unreasonable". I take that to mean you can expect 10-15% normally as AMD only said "we wouldn't bother with mantle for 5%". You would have said we wouldn't bother for 10% if you would get 20% most of the time. AMD shot VERY low with their own comment. I don't know why you bothered for anything under 20% MINIMUM. You are asking all devs to do a lot more work for merely a 20% or less return which when it comes time to patch crap, mantle will always get delayed (a niche audience is NOT the priority) and they can't charge ANY more for the work.

If you are a developer why would you bother if AMD wasn't paying you to do it? To make a few AMD users happy (and I do mean just a few, currently they are all going to miners...LOL). The same players you'd be helping will get there next year anyway perf wise & maybe even just from drivers being optimized (we see games getting 10%+ all the time in new drivers). Just code ONCE and spend more on making a great game for ALL players. Cards are refreshed every 6 months (and usually all but this year a new launch yearly), so why program for something that takes 3 months extra or so and only nets what you get 3 months later anyway? This seems really dumb. I understand why AMD thinks its great (proprietary crap works sometimes), but have no idea why any dev would want this extra effort for no extra money.

Also, EA is getting so cheap they only make one engine to fit all games now. I expect 15 mediocre games from an engine that was designed for ONE type of game but EA is forcing many other genres into that engine. This is a recipe for 1-2 games that are made to be on that engine, and another 13 or so that will generate lawsuits at worst or poor metacritic scores/sales at best...LOL. You can almost blame those crappy games on AMD, as it is clear EA is trying to capitalize on every dime spent on getting Mantle into Frostbite3. Expect everyone else to try the same thing, because like I said, you don't make one extra dime from Mantle optimizations. The game will cost the same for all people. So if AMD stops paying for Mantle optimizations, expect any game using it to axe resources from the game itself to pay for it.

Quit buying games that are BETA's people, or at least refuse to buy until 6 months later when it's all patched up and sold for 50% off (which is actually what these 10-15hr games are worth, or less). DO NOT DO PRE-ORDERS. PERIOD. Wait for a dozen reviews THEN buy if you like what is said.

Status
Not open for further replies.