News AMD deprioritizing flagship gaming GPUs: Jack Hyunh talks new strategy against Nvidia in gaming market

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
NVidia pays for developers to specifically harm AMD gpus performance in their games and also help to market such games. Me, I dont care for NVidia titles, theres everything else that AMD actually plays better. Everyone else? Here is the easy way to win their market share : launch a GOOD and CHEAP GPU!!! Remember when the GTX 1070 launched for $350 actually beating the previous flagship GTX 980 TI that launched for almost double the price? Just release a 7900XTX at the same $350 price point and say fuck it!! Who in their sane mind is going to pay $600 (or $650/$700) for the RTX 5070 which will prolly reach GTX 4080 performance, when you can raster the same at half the price?? AMD is NOT going to win marketshare underpricing NV by $50 or $100. I know it, you know it, everybody know it. At this rate they are going to keep LOSING market share. Give the world a damn 7900XTX at entry level and let everybody know that AMD GPUs are as good as NVidia. THEN revert to sell GPUs for $50 less than NVidia and profit l, that's as simple as it is

Rumours have that the 8800XT will be a 7900XT for around $500... That's surely going to flop if true. The 7900XT is an AMAZING gpu BUT if NVIDIA launch's a RTX 5070 with RTX 4080 performance for $600 nobody will care again. The key to success here is CHEAP, BARGAIN, STEAL. Give third world countries a last gen GPU people can actually buy this time and you will accomplish market share

Last edited:
This was a good interview and I agree with him 100%. As much as I would like to see a highend 8000 series card. AMD has to focus on long term and building market share. Most gamers are fickle and with NV marketing these guys will pitch a tent infront of a bestbuy to get a new gpu.

Focus on medium range where there is volume and increase market share while continuing to invest in the software eco system which they have committed to doing. Then comeback to the high end RDNA 5 with a different approach. AMD has more money to play with now is the time to try different things.

Reactions: jlake3

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I'm not sure there is any overcoming the obscene (at times unwarranted) Nvidia mindshare at this point. This strategy of abandoning the high end, while it is the right and worthwhile thing to do on paper, didn't really pay dividends for AMD when they tried it before with the RX 480+rebrands to RX5000 series, and the 'technology' discrepancy wasn't even that extreme at the time (except perhaps the power consumption).

It'd be nice to be proven wrong because I'm sick of the state of the consumer GPU market lately, but unlike Intel, Nvidia haven't taken their foot off the pedal. I just can't see it happening within a reasonable number of generations unless AMD somehow manage to produce a product that's absolutely stunning from a price/performance perspective - and even then I rather doubt it. Mindshare is a powerful thing. Not to mention AMD are likely still heavily focussed on directing wafers to the nonsense that is AI.

Blastomonas

Great
Oct 18, 2023
Gaining share will take a long time as people tend to stick with what they have used before or is percieved to be popular. I imagine that even if AMD sold a gpu at half price with the same performance as an nVidia card, it would be a tough sell..

This is probably one of the reasons that despite Zen being a better value cpu for a few generations, the % gain has been small.

jlake3

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
According to the experts in the YouTube comments and such, flagships are actually where the volume is and is how you win marketshare, and what they *really* need to do is just make a flagship card that beats the 5090 in both raster and RT, while using less than 350 watts, with 32gb of VRAM, and sell it for the non-inflation-adjusted price of a pre-pandemic, non-Titan flagship. Just win every tier of every generation while never raising the price in nominal dollars, and backfill any losses with the infinite AI dollars and all the datacenter money. 🤪

(Edit: The above take is being poked fun at, as I thought the zany face emoji implied. Spending "anything it takes" on R&D for a low-volume flagship and losing money on every card sold just to make the marketshare line go up is a TERRIBLE idea for operating a sustainable GPU business in the long-term.)

But coming back to seriousness, neither Polaris nor RDNA1 went for the crown, and both of them are still putting in a good showing in Steam hardware surveys (among AMD products, at least). Most people planning to buy a 5090 are probably not persuadable because they’ve already decided what they want and will pay whatever is asked, but down in the midrange there seems to be less brand loyalty… especially with the perception that Nvidia’s heart isn’t really in it for the 50/60-tier. Focusing R&D and marketing on a high-volume segment you stand a chance of winning is probably a smart play.

Last edited:

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
AMD is bad at naming and marketing, plain and simple.

They don't have bad products right now, just bad prices.
It doesn't help they keep screwing the pooch on launches.

Ryzen 9000 not performing as promised and taking a month to fix? check
Launching GPUs at higher than expected MSRP, and then dropping $50 off the next month? check
Ryzen AI 300 last minute, childish, name changes? check
Copying Intel's chipset naming scheme and confusing everyone who wants a B-series mobo? check
Putting stupid X's into every damn product line they have? check

valthuer

Upstanding
Oct 26, 2023
Avoiding competition for the high-end of consumer GPUs, has been a terrible decision on AMD’s part.

You’d think several consecutive years of declining market share would’ve tipped them off.

But it turns out no.

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
It’s smart. AMD is second to Intel for CPU and Nvidia for GPU and it’s because of market share for volume. It takes a lot to compete against two behemoths for sales, so I admire AMD a lot. NVidia will reign in NPU too if they can muscle out competing non-GPU platforms. I am sure AMD will have something new faster than the 7900 and that’s what I will be looking at.

Reactions: Makaveli

strobolt

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I didn't quite follow the comments about developers. Is the point that game developers are not optimizing the games for AMD GPUs and AMD is saying that they would perform better in comparison to Nvidia if the developers cared more?

Reactions: rluker5

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
I didn't quite follow the comments about developers. Is the point that game developers are not optimizing the games for AMD GPUs and AMD is saying that they would perform better in comparison to Nvidia if the developers cared more?
My take: Developers will devote valuable resources towards products which have a wider reach. It's nothing against AMD, its simply that they need to sell more to get developer attention.

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
Apart from the unsaid low-priority issue--AI being more profitable--also left unsaid is that AMD likely doesn't have the capability to compete against the 5090/4090 at the high end. So the question isn't "should AMD compete at high-end," as posed by THW, but rather "should AMD try anyway, even if it can't compete."

Per the 7900XTX's lackluster reception, the answer would be a big fat NO.

If anything, 7900XTX's weak performance vs 4090 did more to hurt the Radeon brand than to help it. If you can't win a fight, it's better to avoid the fight in the first place, than let the world know you're a loser.

The response is so obvious that I'm surprised the question is even asked. But I suppose it must, since the whole crux of "enthusiast PC" revolves around gaming these days. The GPU is now considered more important than the CPU, costing multiple times more, using up much more power, taking up much more space. The CPU's role is as a second banana, to not bottleneck the GPU.

So, it's understandable but at the same time somewhat amusing that J.Huynh had to repeat his "don't worry" three times. It's like a politician handing out campaign promises to constituents. You have to talk nice to everyone, even if you don't have much substance to offer.

Huynh's "I'm for scale" is of course a plausible rationale, just as THW's "halo products matter." But rationales tend to be after-the-fact excuses, and the fact is that AMD has neither the capability nor the motivation to compete on high-end GPU. No need to overthink it.

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
My take: Developers will devote valuable resources towards products which have a wider reach. It's nothing against AMD, its simply that they need to sell more to get developer attention.
That's half of it. The other half is NVidia actively encourages and even pays developers to do things in a way that makes AMD look worse. The over tessellation trick from years ago for example.

That's half of it. The other half is NVidia actively encourages and even pays developers to do things in a way that makes AMD look worse. The over tessellation trick from years ago for example.
There is alot going on with NV now with investigations and stock price dropping also due to this. So we will see how things look in a year or two. Is Nv doing shenanigans in the market that got intel sued for a billion dollars we shall see.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Someone already nailed it here: launch a really good card at a really cheap price, even if it means LOSES to backfill with the AI data centers sales. Why? Because they want to win marketshare!!!!

Reactions: Makaveli

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
It's smart. Most people do not run a 4090 for gaming. It's a small minority that does.
And by not chasing this small market share, but instead chase the medium performance and much bitter market share, they can make money on volume rather than performance.

It's good they realize what their weaknesses are.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
NVidia pays for developers to specifically harm AMD gpus performance in their games and also help to market such games. Me, I dont care for NVidia titles, theres everything else that AMD actually plays better. Everyone else? Here is the easy way to win their market share : launch a GOOD and CHEAP GPU!!! Remember when the GTX 1070 launched for $350 actually beating the previous flagship GTX 980 TI that launched for almost double the price? Just release a 7900XTX at the same $350 price point and say fuck it!! Who in their sane mind is going to pay $600 (or $650/$700) for the RTX 5070 which will prolly reach GTX 4080 performance, when you can raster the same at half the price?? AMD is NOT going to win marketshare underpricing NV by $50 or $100. I know it, you know it, everybody know it. At this rate they are going to keep LOSING market share. Give the world a damn 7900XTX at entry level and let everybody know that AMD GPUs are as good as NVidia. THEN revert to sell GPUs for $50 less than NVidia and profit l, that's as simple as it is

Rumours have that the 8800XT will be a 7900XT for around $500... That's surely going to flop if true. The 7900XT is an AMAZING gpu BUT if NVIDIA launch's a RTX 5070 with RTX 4080 performance for $600 nobody will care again. The key to success here is CHEAP, BARGAIN, STEAL. Give third world countries a last gen GPU people can actually buy this time and you will accomplish market share
That mentality is also what got ATi into trouble in the first place.
They can't keep under cutting and not making enough profit margins to sustain the next round of development.

This is simply a "War of Attrition", you need the financial funds from your profits to sustain the next round of development, under-cutting by a huge amount isn't going to keep AMD wanting to continue the fight if they aren't making enough $ back.

The Radeon Technology Group needs to hold up their end of the bargain and make a reasonable amount of profits from it's share of sales.

You can't get enough profit in this market when you already have a entrenched encumbent like nVIDIA and lose profit-ability.

Remember, this is a LONG battle, think 100 Years War.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
That is a good approach, I got to agree with the AMD’s VP here. Now they need to release a few products which will be not only price competitive but also at all three main areas of gaming i.e. raster, ray tracing and upscaling,

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
AMD does have the consoles so they do have huge dev buy in to RDNA.
On the other side Intel is getting decent performance with 0% market share, virtually no dev buy in and basically no historical dev buy in.

This isn't for better dev cooperation to get better game performance, it is just for chasing profit.
AMD probably wouldn't gain a lot of Nvidia market share even with spending a ton of money trying to get the most powerful GPU out there. It wouldn't be money well spent.
I guess the vice president couldn't say that though because it sounds worse. But a company has to make money.

Assuming this means AMD is optimizing die size and board complexity the strategy could pan out. When I bought my 3080 the 6800XT was the same price, but with much worse ray tracing so given roughly equal raster performance AMD wasn't a real option to me. This sort of thing played out again with the 7000 series launch where the XTX was compared to the 4090 by AMD when they should have just targeted the 4080 and the XT was too expensive. If this current strategy shift includes marketing then there's plenty of room for success.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
This sort of thing played out again with the 7000 series launch where the XTX was compared to the 4090 by AMD when they should have just targeted the 4080 and the XT was too expensive. If this current strategy shift includes marketing then there's plenty of room for success.
This is false, AMD was adamant that the XTX was competing against the 4080, however the ray tracing performance of the XTX was so abysmal compared to the 4080 that even the $200 price difference didn’t make up for it.