AMD Employee Steals Intel Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
There a reason this is being reported here AGAIN?

Also,some things i find odd is:
If your still employeed whats wrong with getting stuff for your wife who still works there. If he wanted to steal stuff he could do it by having his wife give it to him.
Also, wouldnt his wife have quit soon after to join AMD?
Also i find it odd that she hasn't quit do to the fact there going after her husband...

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Currently Intel owns roughly 80 percent of the microprocessor market, leaving AMD the remaining 20 percent.

Euhm ... that leaves none for SUN Motorola Freescale IBM ARM and a bunch of other microprocessor bakery's that do have "some" influence on the entire microprocessor bakery world.

So basically it means they all died .... :(

G

@DFGum - not all employees have access to ALL documents. It is quite possible (likely?) his wife would not have access to the same documents he had unless they were doing the same/similar jobs.

Also it is probably not odd she hasn't quit yet, as she is now the only wage earner in that household, and it is unlikely he will be getting a job anytime soon and it appears like he will need some serious money for his legal defense...

Also, I'm not sure how Intel does it but the high level stuff is usually viewable only online (within the company firewall) and is not capable of being printed without special approval. So your supposition that his wife could have gotten it for him is probably not accurate.

What is odd is that you are trying to defend these actions... he also lied about where his next job was. The reason for this is clear - had he told Intel where he was going, he would have been walked out instantly to prevent this type of situation (I have seen this happen at other tech companies)

[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Trade secrets going to AMD from Intel are kinda worthless seeing as how Intel copied AMD this time with the Core i7.[/citation]
If you are talking about the IMC you should be aware Intel was the first to experiment with it.

Mucke

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
OK, first I agree with DFGum that there is no reason to bring that story up again -- except to tell us that tomshardware is more suspicious about AMD than the FBI.

The only news is that the secrets are worth a billion Dollar. What a nonsense statement is that? Who is supposed to pay that billion (with doctor evils grin)?

So much for todays news. That entire story doesn't make sense to me. If he really tried to steal those informations to do something illegal, there is no more obvious way to do it. Why accessing the Intel-Network from home leaving traces for years and risking that his account would already have been disabled? If I were to steal secrets I would use an USB-stick while still an employee.
Maybe I'm naive, but to me that story only makes sense if that guy is not particularly smart and really just wanted to help his wife.
Intel should reconsider its security management; letting AMD-personal access their network... somebody could really mess around.

P.S.: For me the Core i7 is just a Phenom with the Athlon cores replaced by (faster) C2D-Cores. I give Intel some credit for triple-channel, but that is it.

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Trade secrets going to AMD from Intel are kinda worthless seeing as how Intel copied AMD this time with the Core i7.[/citation]
Yeah... and how Intel copied AMD BEFORE AMD made this magical technology...

nYdGeo

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Good ole' Tom's Hardware...fair-weather friend and National Inquirer of the IT industry. Bought 'n' paid for suck-up to many and of true value to few. Do you think that you could have done a cheesier, tackier, more biased job of reporting legitimate news?

You rode the A(MD)-train through most of the AMD-64 domination years, then as soon as Intel caught AMD with their pants down (and they certainly did!) you turned tail and have been ragging them ever since. Intel deserves every bit of the success that everything Core 2 and later has brought them; it simply rules. There is however no reason to consistently find every excuse to down AMD…unless it is part of your agenda.

In this particular situation, it has been made clear repeatedly by both prosecution and the Federal investigators that at this juncture no one is suspecting any sort if guilt or wrong doing on the part of AMD, yet your persecution repeatedly plants malicious seeds with remarks such as, "It wouldn’t be too surprising if something else stemmed from..." and “Although AMD claims no involvement with Pani’s actions, it does seem rather suspicious…”

Why is it that today, under your "News" heading, is the article titled, "With Intel increasing its technology lead, will AMD become more..."? This article is from January, 2007, but this is still current news to you? Nope. But it is yet another cheap, opportunistic manipulation of circumstance by Tom's Hardware, obviously designed to dig & plant seeds at AMD's expense.

In an article about an alleged theft, why are you again reporting, “Yesterday AMD reported that it terminated five hundreds jobs worldwide in an effort to cut costs and achieve a $1.5 billion "breakeven." Stock prices have also fallen, closing at $2.65 per share as of October 28, dropping nearly 90 percent since early 2006.” What does this have to do with the fact that a man is accused of allegedly stealing info from Intel? The answer is: nothing.

Not long ago there was a landmark Supreme Court decision that stunned the tiny part of the population that ever learned of it; the US Supreme Court declared that Fox News, a major news network that millions of people look to for the truth…has no obligation or responsibility to report or otherwise tell the truth. Anyone half awake will likely see that Tom’s operates along similar guidelines.

This industry has enough blatantly biased, obviously corrupted sycophants to the industry giants. We also get more than enough BS, propaganda, etc, from the industry giants themselves. How about you grow a pair and give us the facts, please, and nothing but the facts. I believe that I (as well as the rest of your readers) am due the respect of allowing me to draw my own conclusions based on again, the facts.

Thank you for your time.

G

AMD does 4 cores on 1 die, onboard memory controller, 64 bit processing, among many other things... Intel always comes in later with the same technologies. I remember when Intel laughed at AMD for making a 64 bit processor for the desktop users, saying it would not be used for years. Shortly after, they announced they would be making 64 bit desktop processors.

I don't see AMD using any type of hyperthreading...

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]DFGum[/nom]There a reason this is being reported here AGAIN?Also,some things i find odd is: If your still employeed whats wrong with getting stuff for your wife who still works there. If he wanted to steal stuff he could do it by having his wife give it to him.Also, wouldnt his wife have quit soon after to join AMD?Also i find it odd that she hasn't quit do to the fact there going after her husband...[/citation]

[citation][nom]not_odd[/nom]@DFGum - not all employees have access to ALL documents. It is quite possible (likely?) his wife would not have access to the same documents he had unless they were doing the same/similar jobs.Also it is probably not odd she hasn't quit yet, as she is now the only wage earner in that household, and it is unlikely he will be getting a job anytime soon and it appears like he will need some serious money for his legal defense...Also, I'm not sure how Intel does it but the high level stuff is usually viewable only online (within the company firewall) and is not capable of being printed without special approval. So your supposition that his wife could have gotten it for him is probably not accurate.What is odd is that you are trying to defend these actions... he also lied about where his next job was. The reason for this is clear - had he told Intel where he was going, he would have been walked out instantly to prevent this type of situation (I have seen this happen at other tech companies)[/citation]
Agreed. Just because she worked there doesn't mean she has access to the same files and or "sensitive data".

G

Yes, Intel did it better... they have a much larger budget for R&D. I'm glad to see Intel did a great job with it. I hope this keeps AMD on their feet and to keep innovative as they have been, but without the proper budget, I don't expect them to have the capability of full potential such as Intel does.

And Captain, you must realize where the market was before AMD stepped in. Pricing on Intel processors were absurd... AMD forced the competition on them and without AMD around, Intel would rule the market. This means higher prices and far less technology advancements. So every time I buy an AMD processor, I just saved you money on your Intel ;) You should be happy AMD fanboys exist.

It should also be noted that Intel gave them the rights in 1982 to produce microprocessors, hence why they are legally allowed without infringement.

G

Wow, talking about corporate greed. How sad.

jess
www.anonymity.cz.tc

G

"The only news is that the secrets are worth a billion Dollar. What a nonsense statement is that? Who is supposed to pay that billion (with doctor evils grin)"

Ummm... noone... The value of the (alleged) theft defines the seriousness of the crime. For example if you steal a pack of gum vs steal a car vs rob a bank, there are different levels of punishment - hence you need to place a value on what is stolen.

This is a criminal (not civil) issue... if you don't know the difference, don't post ridiculousness. Intel could always also bring a civil suit, but it is not like this guy is going to get a job anytime soon (presuming he is not in jail) so it is probably not worth the time to sue him for money.

Again folks, at this point AMD is not involved - this is about an employee (allegedly) stealing secrets. It is odd that the AMD fans out there feel the need to defend AMD and the Intel fans feel the need to assume AMD way behind it.

ClusterAble - what are you talking about? Corporate greed? Intel is bringing a CRIMINAL complaint here, not suing him for money! Good grief!

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
LOL i love these AMD fanboy saying intel stole ideas from AMD. HELLO!, how the heck did you think AMD got into the CPU business in the first place? they had to get the x86 specs from intel. god damn kids grow up or shut up

I Think these kids need to go back and study their history before defending AMD. Isn't it great that they can say whatever they want without any actual fact and sound intelligent?
Helllloooo Intel was the first to experiment with 64bit. They were trying not to introduce 64bit MEMORY technology in order to transition to Itanium which is a true 64bit architecture. good or bad... who knows but they were the first to have the knowhow before AMD
By the way if Intel has been copying AMD then how do you explain their dual cores outperforming AMD's QC?

Mucke

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
LOL i love these AMD fanboy saying intel stole ideas from AMD. HELLO!, how the heck did you think AMD got into the CPU business in the first place? they had to get the x86 specs from intel. god damn kids grow up or shut up

They got into the business by buying the necessary x86 license from intel.

By the way my best regards to tomshardware for this neutral headline. That is what I call good journalism.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Mucke[/nom]By the way my best regards to tomshardware for this neutral headline. That is what I call good journalism.[/citation]

Of course this is sarcasm, as the necessary word alleged has been left out.

Because some bozo at Tom's claims he's guilty he is therefore guilty?

G

Only Admin and Data Storage people have unfettered access to documents on an intranet, you can only access things that you've been granted rights to access. Also, by law, user's network accounts must be disabled whilst on leave, also I will admit, it doesn't always happen.

I'm not going to shed a single tear for Intel, but I do believe I can guess what trade secrets were stolen(if stolen?). During the midst of the P4 gHz wars, Intel must have figured out something in regards to ramping up clockspeed. When Core2 first came out, everything from 1.8 to 2.8 gHz was released with a power envelope of 65w, which seemed odd. Now, AMD has recently released new steppings of the Athlon X2, with all CPUs from 2.2 to 2.9ghz having 45-65w power envelopes. Coincidence?

If AMD can ramp up Deneb's clockspeeds with whatever new technology they're using, they could probably run Core i7 right out of town, since it shows no real performance improvement in most real-world scenarios, unless you're only building a machine to do synthetic benchmarks and/or video encoding.

G

AMD NEVER had 46%-50% marketshare... you of course are incorrectly remembering US Retail #'s that AMD has quoted in the past. You of course are not realizing US sales account for ~25-30% of global sales and US RETAIL sales account for only a portion of that (as you also have US corporate sales and online/direct sales from folks like Dell, etc)

These #'s come from the likes of iSuppli and Gartner, both reputable firms who do market share analysis.

Stop being a fan and making up facts, and go educate yourself. While you no doubt have vast marketshare knowledge and experience (10 households...seems statistically significant to me?) and associate marketshare with computer price, I think you do not seem to understand worldwide market share.

But then again your theory that Tom's HW or the iSuppli's of the world are making these #'s up, for stock manipulation. Was it Bigfoot or the little green men that told you this?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
To area51

No intel was not the first to trial 64bit tech. It wasnt AMD either but that doesnt matter..

Second he said for the mainstream customer, itanium was for the busniess server market not the mainstream market.

maybe you should learn to read and get your facts in order before you type next time.

The copying i believe they are reffering to is intel using AMD64 instruction sets in thier cpu's the memory link intel said wasnt needed and coming back to sdram when rambus was the future who needs ddr.

After reading your post it looks like this is what happened.

"i read the post"
"i only saw what i wanted to"
"i made a bashing remark to sound smarter then them even though they were alot more right then me"
"i totaly ignored what was actualy said"

To take a quote from your post actualy "Isn't it great that they can say whatever they want without any actual fact and sound intelligent?"

Yes AMD made intel compatable cpus which was the only real way to make a cpu kinda like sound blaster compatable yada yada. They did however make them cheaper fixed all the bugs and got sued in which case amd said "Yeah we copied it" the the judge of course couldnt find anything illegal happening other then intel getting pissed AMD took thier chip and made it a bit better and sold it at a fraction the cost.

P2 P3 was awsome great chips. intel shot them self in the face with p-4 and rambus. Now they got a good chip again. The only real inovation in thier new line however that hasnt been used for years by another company as far as i know anyways is tripple lane ddr. Other then that its what about 5 year old news now?

Btw AMD did get up there to about 52% but in the volitile tech market your 52% can goto 10% with a bad release. its more then believable amd has gone down to 20% in just the desktop cpu market however.

I also have no problem with them bashing whos not making the top stuff. As they should be. They praised intel when they were the best they did the same for AMD then again for intel. Am i the only one that see's nothing wrong with that? If you make sub standard parts then it should be told hey this isnt the best anymore now this is. I wasnt aware toms was friends with amd or intel in the manner they would have to support them no matter how much they mess up thats just idiotic.

G

Again AMD NEVER had 52% marketshare - people are misquoting a US RETAIL market share figure that AMD spun out for a while to investors to make the #'s look good. The US Retail sector is

Status
Not open for further replies.