AMD Fusion: Brazos Gets Previewed: Part 2, Performance

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-fusion-brazos-performance,2790.html

Looks like THG got their hands on 'Zecate' (sounds like either a alcohol or salsa, you decide....).

So are you impressed, meh or inbetween?

I am inbetween only because I have a feeling that since this is pointed towards the notebooks and not netbooks, that its going to have a lot of fun againts SBs mobile parts.

I think a lot of people think this is whats to be going into netbooks and against Atom but in reality its not.

Not to say its not impressive but still I will probably wait and see how it fairs against SBs notebook parts to really compare it.

If these new chips were directed towards netbooks, man, I'd love to see what they have in mind for notebooks. However, it looks like they may still be playing catch up in the notebook market, at least based upon these results. Then again, I guess we'll have to see what else they have in store in the coming months before jumping to any conclusions.

Well these so far are their low power notebook offerings from what I have real. They have something else in mind for netbooks.

And considering the size of the heatsink, I doubt they could fit this in a netbook.

IIRC AMD is positioning their Llano CPUs for notebooks to desktops for next year, assuming Llano makes it out by then, and then the Bulldozer with GPU onboard afterwards. AFAIK, AMD has not changed their tune about not getting into the tablet market just yet, which I think is because Zacate at 18 watts is just too power-hungry for long battery life. Maybe once they have the 28nm die shrink..

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
impressive for a notebook and thats just the low end model? still... i think VIA would be the best for the netbook market now :) give the notebooks these power houses.

IIRC Zacate is the upper end of the Bobcat architecture, with Ontario (?) the lower end 9W APU. As to where either one fits, from Wiki:

The term "laptop" can refer to a number of classes of small portable computers:

Full-size Laptop – A laptop large enough to accommodate a "full-size" keyboard (a keyboard with the minimum QWERTY key layout, which is at least 13.5 keys across that are on ¾ (0.750) inch centers, plus some room on both ends for the case). The measurement of at least 11 inches across has been suggested as the threshold for this class[citation needed]. The first laptops were the size of a standard U.S. "A size" notebook sheet of paper (8.5 × 11 inches)[citation needed], but later "A4-size" laptops were introduced, which were the width of a standard ISO 216 A4 sheet of paper (297 mm, or about 11.7 inches), and added a vertical column of keys to the right and wider screens.

Netbook – A smaller, lighter, more portable laptop. It is also usually cheaper than a full-size laptop, but has fewer features and less computing power. Smaller keyboards can be more difficult to operate. There is no sharp line of demarcation between netbooks and inexpensive small laptops; some 11.6" models are marketed as netbooks.

Ultra-thin Laptop – A newer class of laptops which are very thin and light.

Tablet PC – these have touch screens. There are "convertible tablets" with a full keyboard where the screen rotates to be used atop the keyboard, and "slate" form-factor machines which are usually touch-screen only (although a few older models feature very small keyboards along the sides of the screen.)

So IMO Zacate would fit into the middle portion of the spectrum (netbook, ultra-thin Mac Air type laptops) best, with Ontario possibly moving into the tablet arena if the power can be cut down... For full-size desktop replacement lappies, it would probably be Sandy Bridge vs. Llano at the top end.