AMD FX-8350 heats up to 79 celsius, help!

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I've built my second PC a few weeks ago, changed to AMD platform after Intel+Nvidia. Specs:

-AMD FX-8350
-3x2GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz RAM
-XFX R9-280X 3GB GDDR5 VGA
-1TB WD Caviar Green HDD
-Cooler Master Elite Power Black RS600 PSU (600W)
-Cooler Master K350 PC case

At first, I did not buy an aftermarket CPU cooler. This resulted in a very noisy, hot setup, so last week I bought 3 additional fans, and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler. It is said to be a good one.

I applied the thermal paste that came with the cooler, as usual, about 4mm circle, then put the cooler on. Also my three additional fans, plus the one that came with the case, provide good airflow (air goes in on the front, goes out on the back and on the top).

Everything is cool, except the CPU. When I play Grand Theft Auto IV - which is a heavily CPU-hungry game - the CPU goes up to 79 celsius degrees, which is not acceptable. Any help?

Solution
ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 is your problem here.That mobo is not suited for FX 8350.She cant hold power and heat FX 8350 produce.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

The Hyper 212 EVO is actually on the low end of coolers. Not great for a hot eight core. I know from experience. I would go into the BIOS and make sure I am running "Optimized Defaults". Your vcore may be set too high. You should have either two or four sticks of matched ram. Three sticks doesn't allow you to run in dual channel mode. What kind of board you have?

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

I wrote down in a comment already, the board is an ASRock 980DE3/U3S3.

As I heard on other forums, and even here in a few topics, the Hyper 212 is a great cooler, and some people even managed to overclock the FX with that without problems.

The settings are default optimised settings.

I'll try to reassemble the thing tomorrow, hopefully it's just something with the paste, maybe it wasn't enough or is not covering the whole thing correctly.

Also, I only have three sticks of ram because the 4th was damaged so I had to send it back for replacement, I hope it'll arrive soon enough, but I know about dual channel and that 3 sticks is not right.

holyrage

Distinguished
ok make sure u use the Pea method and apply pressure on the cooler while seating it / seat it using the cross method no matter what u do dont lift it when it makes contact with the paste u wana keep that pressure until it is fully seated

Vaggos

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
the 212 evo is more than capable keeping cool the cpu. change your vcore from bios from auto to 1.36.i have the 8230 clocked at 4.4 and max load never passed 55 degrees Celsius even with prime after 2 hours

PabloC

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
Hi,
I have built two systems with the FX 8350. Both overheated. Most of the time were over 40 and when workin hard they passed 65, which is probably not good. Also the fan speed got ridicoulous (over 5000 rpm). I used one of the systems for playing games, and when the game couldnt handle more than one or two cores, it overheated it as well, sometimes over 70.
THE solution was to add a third party cooler. I bougth a fairly cheap one (US$ 30) TT Contact 21, and now the FX 8350 works like a charm. It never overheats and my idle is bellow 20.
I guess AMD didn´t care about heating, so if you buy a FX instead of a I5, you should take in consideration that you will spend extra 20-30 bugs for a third party cooler (and you should).
Hope it helps (it will).