AMD Hires Chip Veterans to "Move Beyond PC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this is great for AMD. They got some people who know their shit. this last year may have been a horrid year for them, but it was also a year where they expanded their market incredibly. i hope these guys keep AMD expanding and give a new direction to AMD struggling areas.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
What AMD needs is brand recognition. Most of the people I know never heard of AMD's APUs, or are unfamiliar with it.

In fact, my dad firmly believes that Intel's IGP is on par with the APU's GPU.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I've always been an AMD fan, and am glad to hear the good news. Sadly, though, this is about 5 years too late. Under Ruiz's watch, they ignored mobile, think back to the pentium M days. AMD stubbornly refused to invest in mobile, when they had the chance to lay the foundations for it. Fast forward to today, finally they are getting in the ball game. It is too soon to tell, but we may be able to accredit this success to Reed, depending on timing and execution of course

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]What AMD needs is brand recognition. Most of the people I know never heard of AMD's APUs, or are unfamiliar with it.In fact, my dad firmly believes that Intel's IGP is on par with the APU's GPU.[/citation]
Really, they just need some good contracts to supply chips. Brand recognition for components is over-rated. Try this, ask a non geek what chips power the Samsung Galaxy III or the Nexus 4?

In order to score lucrative contracts, they need to deliver a competitive product. Example - all of the next gen game consoles. They are rocking the next wave of consoles, they need to repeat that success for mobile.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
^ Honestly, mobile is really just starting to take off. I'm not talking about laptops, but tablets/or tablet like computers. That is the market I think they're targeting.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
two new people is not going to fix their current issues which have made many people including me jump ship. They just didnt have any actual products that were worth my money.

heres hoping they have something good eventually.

we are now indeed facing a real change in the computer market. Just hopefully it isn't too late for them to expand into this market. And hopefully they get it off the ground, even when the original Athlon 64 was faster than intel's p4, the p4 probably outsold them. Why? no marketing by AMD. If AMD want a new product to succeed, they really need to push the marketing to make consumers aware of it.

They really don't need marketing in the mobile segment. In the desktop arena that has been killer for AMD in years past and to some degree in GPU's. Nobody cares about Intel inside of their mobile devices especially if say a manufacturer only uses one supplier like Apple or Samsung. AMD just needs a damn good chip, like when they out did Intel technically speaking back in 1999 with the original Athlon. This is a totally different game then back when Intel had what was essentially a monopoly. Build it and they will come.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Inferno1217[/nom]memadmax :Can't polish a turd....In fact you can. Mythbusters did.[/citation]

Was waiting for that one... It was polished, but it wasn't that nice, shiny shine that you get from something like chrome on a decked out V8 engine... ya know... =D

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]... Nobody cares about Intel inside of their mobile devices especially if say a manufacturer only uses one supplier like Apple or Samsung...[/citation]

I'd be willing to bet that the new "Intel Inside" Atom smartphones are going to sell like crazy, even though they have inferior performance, inferior battery life, and inferior app selection due to people seeing the logo and having nestalgic flashbacks to commercials they've seen years ago.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]m32[/nom]^ Honestly, mobile is really just starting to take off. I'm not talking about laptops, but tablets/or tablet like computers. That is the market I think they're targeting.[/citation]
Indeed.

Give tablets 4-8GB of RAM (3-5 years), twice Tegra4's processing power and more polished software (most Android apps I have used have passable usability compared to their nearest desktop equivalents) and tablets will have enough processing power to cover around 90% of people's everyday computing needs, just need to dock it to a keyboard+mouse+display+charger unit for more input-intensive stuff.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Indeed.Give tablets 4-8GB of RAM (3-5 years), twice Tegra4's processing power and more polished software (most Android apps I have used have passable usability compared to their nearest desktop equivalents) and tablets will have enough processing power to cover around 90% of people's everyday computing needs, just need to dock it to a keyboard+mouse+display+charger unit for more input-intensive stuff.[/citation]

How about Ubuntu phones doing the same? :)

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Move beyond PC.
Great.
But please don't give me a platform built ground up to get cash from advertising like current tablet/phablets/smartphones, rather give me something boosts my productivity beyond PC.
All I want is bring my VMs around and start what I need when I need.
For stating, it would be nice see real performance increasing every year like... well, like when PC sold well!
Now it will also be nice to have a 1-2 pound range device, with enough juice to work a couple of days: THAT would be great.
And, please note it's 15+ years I'm being teased, pleased and harassed every day with news about eye tracking, speech recognition, laser keyboards (IBM, 1992), video-cam remote controllers. Heck, most of those things are even on sale as geek toys, and all I get on the mainstream is touch screen, the most idiotic thing, fingers are not small enough for compete with finer controls, large screens and TVs are beyond my reach, and I've fingerprints everywhere!
Oh! What, you don't really mean any of that?
Ok, next one.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]What AMD needs is brand recognition. Most of the people I know never heard of AMD's APUs, or are unfamiliar with it.In fact, my dad firmly believes that Intel's IGP is on par with the APU's GPU.[/citation]

Indeed, that recognition needs to get through to the mom and pop folks that pop into their local store to buy a new PC and can know that an AMD CPU is just as good for Facebook as the Intel chip they see advertised on TV 4 times a night.

Always felt AMD's marketing team must be the laziest folks on the planet.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
What AMD lacks isn't talent or technology. They lack VISION. They've always been a me-too company. First, it was with x86, where they, for the most part, merely followed and built upon Intel's tech. Compare them to Nvidia. Now, Nvidia really does have Vision. They knew where the market was going YEARS before the industry actually went there. Take GPGPU for example. Nvidia started it all back with the FX5000 series, around 7 years ago. As for ARM, Nvidia saw that coming too way before AMD did. AMD is just scrambling to get onto those bandwagons too.

They need a leader who knows where the market is going. Their first CEO, Jerry Sanders, had Vision. All the rest thereafter just continued what Jerry started but ultimately lost sight of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.