AMD Hits Top (Base) GHz with Quad-Core Phenom

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
meh...
Waiting June and their big revelations.
Come on bulldozer. I am lying when I am saying I don't have high expectations for you because I fear disappointment. Be a fan like it is never going to disappoint you, because that's the only way to truly be a fan. And right now I am a fan for getting the CPU to move some. There is a lot of stagnant potential in Intel, and there is pushing AMD to the limits. I like them both pushed to the limits and the pressure to bring more. So, GO AMD!! Bring us dream instructions per cycle and also keep the experience of pushing your CPUs to 3.7 GHz out of the box.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]This is really sad. AMD should just dismantle itself if it can't compete against Sandy Bridge.[/citation]

It's just a minor update like AMD and Intel do all the time. Sure, it can't complete with SB, but AMD's answer to SB is slated for June in the form of Bulldozer (high end CPU for use with discrete GPU's) and Llano (mid end CPU with powerful IGP for everyday use).

It's a bit like saying that a security patch is Window's answer to the next Mac OS X - that's not true, it's the next Windows version that's the answer.

G

Hmmm,.I do hope that AMD would at least be able to top the 1st gen Core iX processors when it comes to IPCs and trample SB's iGP to stay competitive..

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]This is really sad. AMD should just dismantle itself if it can't compete against Sandy Bridge.[/citation]
No matter how much better sandy bridge is, AMD wont be dismantled because of it. Amd remains the solid leader in the low end market and its high end(which is not bad at all) is ALOT cheaper than intels high end. Bulldozer is supposed to be AMDs answer top SB, and if it doesnt do well against SB, its still in a good spot because it will undoubtably be a powerful CPU at an affordable price(probably 1/2 or less of SB price).

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
No matter how much better sandy bridge is, AMD wont be dismantled because of it. Amd remains the solid leader in the low end market and its high end(which is not bad at all) is ALOT cheaper than intels high end. Bulldozer is supposed to be AMDs answer top SB, and if it doesnt do well against SB, its still in a good spot because it will undoubtably be a powerful CPU at an affordable price(probably 1/2 or less of SB price).

AMD has high end APU's? Lol i laughed at this one. AMD is for budget gamers. Bulldozer is a joke, AMD is 3 years behind Intel, and still lacks any benchmarks to prove they can keep up with anything. AMD stick to putting your money into crap laptops.

ironmb, we do not know whether or not Bulldozer is a joke. It may be, but until the reviewers get production samples, we really do not know. And lest I be accused of being an AMD fanboi, my last 6 systems were Intel Core2 systems.

Is the 980 a "minor update" or is it a 975 tested and placed in a faster bin?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]No matter how much better sandy bridge is, AMD wont be dismantled because of it. Amd remains the solid leader in the low end market and its high end(which is not bad at all) is ALOT cheaper than intels high end.[/citation]

i5-2500K completely dominates this latest (and every other) AMD CPU but still costs less and uses less power. And when Bulldozer comes out, it'll still be slower than Sandy Bridge, not to mention Ivy Bridge which is expected by the end of the year. AMD is dead, surviving only on the charity of fanboys.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]i5-2500K completely dominates this latest (and every other) AMD CPU but still costs less[/citation]
It does NOT cost less. It's even more than the AMD 6 cores which on games like Bad Company 2 that can use up to 6 cores does better than 2500k. Also with the AMD chips you don't have to buy a new motherboard.

I also like how you Intel fanboys trash AMD when they're the only ones keeping prices down. You can see what happens when AMD is not in the market at the highend Intel CPUs where they have no competition - prices just skyrocket.

The uses less power is much less of a deal than having to buy a new mobo each new CPU upgrade.

G

Don't you guys understand that AMD is NECESSARY for Intel to keep prices low? Even if they, (AMD), are not directly competitive... Intel CPUs would be a lot more expensive, and would not progress as fast. So, you better praise AMD even if you plan on buying Intel chips.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
AMD today released a new Phenom II that could be one of the last new introductions for the company before it enters its future in Fusion

lol, reviews came out monday, a bit late on the news.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]i5-2500K completely dominates this latest (and every other) AMD CPU but still costs less and uses less power. And when Bulldozer comes out, it'll still be slower than Sandy Bridge, not to mention Ivy Bridge which is expected by the end of the year. AMD is dead, surviving only on the charity of fanboys.[/citation]

If i wasn't for AMD, the cheapest thing you could buy would be the i5-2500k for $1000. Think intel really cares about their customers ... lol

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Considering AMD now have the strongest IGPs, and coined the term APU, then yes, for their purpose, they are high end.

In performance terms, AMD is behind Intel, at least until Llano and Zambezi arrive, however in terms of low-power computing, AMD is ahead of Intel with its very first new product in that area (and let's remind ourselves of how people thought all AMD processors were hungrier and lower performing, and to an extent, that's spot on, but not exclusively the case anymore). As I've said to someone recently, the most purchased products are towards the lower end, which Brazos and Llano should cater for nicely. You forget that not everybody is an enthusiast and not everybody visits tech websites.

nezzymighty

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]It's just a minor update like AMD and Intel do all the time. Sure, it can't complete with SB, but AMD's answer to SB is slated for June in the form of Bulldozer ....[/citation]

I believe SB was Intel's answer to Fusion. Intel just brought SB to the market faster than AMD was able to deliver the high end Fusion processors.

The one thing that I can agree upon with everyone is the anticipation of getting the Fusion product to market. I am excited, and hope I will be impressed with the benchmarks that Tom's will provide when it is released. I'm due for a refresh...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]It does NOT cost less.[/citation]

Yeah, my bad. I was comparing it to 1100T for some reason. You're right, it is cheaper.

[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]It's even more than the AMD 6 cores which on games like Bad Company 2 that can use up to 6 cores does better than 2500k.[/citation]

I don't know about Bad Company 2 but 2500K decimates 1100T by at least 30% in every game benchmark I've seen.

samanosuke47

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I am holding off for the Bulldozer cores, I cannot wait to see how well they perform over Phenom. I guess we shall see. xD I'm so excited.

Markus there is no doubt Scott W is a top shelf reviewer and ranks with Anand and our Chris Angelini here ... I always enjoy his articles, especially those on cache architecture. He is thorough with his benchies and has a keen eye for spotting anything unusual.

For those who bought a lower level Phenom CPU a while back with a decent mobo, this is about the quickest speed bump your going to get without a major mobo transplant ... or trying to tickle the life out of the older cpu with an overclock, other than stepping into an X6 (again if the mobo supports it, and in many benchies there is little difference between the X4 and X6 for gaming).

Cheers.

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Preliminary demonstrations of the new mobile bulldozer looks somewhat promising compared to mobile versions of sandy bridge. Beyond that, there are no empirical data supporting the superiority AMD claims over Intel. Considering a full 6 month delay on the launch compared to SB, AMD will have a very difficult time swaying the market in its favor unless it can produce some amazing results, especially with Ivy Bridge just around the corner.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
@Reynod: Your use of the word 'benchies' is extremely annoying. There's no need to give 'benchmarks' a pet name.
@zkevwlu and a few other unimformed viewers: Ivy Bridge is NOT just around the corner. Intel is releasing Ivy Bridge next year along with the first DDR4 RAM, and quad-channel motherboards. It will be decimating what's left of any AMD supporters.
...But if my computer fails before then, and Bulldozer is good, I'm buying an AMD system. So don't flame me for having a seemingly side-sided view.

Status
Not open for further replies.