AMD Now Shipping Quad-core Llano APU to OEMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Sounds very exciting. I might upgrade this phenom 9500 to something like this if it favors much better performance at lower power consumption and heat out put.

Being 32nm and all, how are the overclocks? Granted the ones we'll see are the OEM models. But MSI did announce their 8xx boards to have AM3+ support, Tom's you should take the chip out and stick it in an MSI 8xx board and give us a review w/ overclocks and all.

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
There's something fishy about the Intel driver in the comparison, it's 8.15.10.2276, that is a 32bit driver on a 64bit OS (?). Also the driver is VERY old, the latest Intel driver for windows 7 x64 is 15.​21.​12.​64.​2321.

This looks more and more like last year's comparison between the Zecate APU and the mobile Intel i5 platform. AMD was destroying Intel in those tests, but when it came out, Zecate could barely compare to the Atom D510/D525.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Sihastru[/nom]There's something fishy about the Intel driver in the comparison, it's 8.15.10.2276, that is a 32bit driver on a 64bit OS (?). Also the driver is VERY old, the latest Intel driver for windows 7 x64 is 15.​21.​12.​64.​2321.This looks more and more like last year's comparison between the Zecate APU and the mobile Intel i5 platform. AMD was destroying Intel in those tests, but when it came out, Zecate could barely compare to the Atom D510/D525.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that Driver version (8.15.10.2276) is dating back to the era of GMA950/965's.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Wow some interesting comments so far. So just to help clear things up a bit here...

These chips are for mobile devices. They will maybe be found in laptops, netbooks, or tablets. These are not intended for a desktop. As a matter of fact, you will probably not even be able to find these for purchase on their own, but will instead have to purchase them pre-installed in a device (or system) of your choosing.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I know that these are just Phenom II's with a GPU on-die but they really should have paired BD with the GPU instead.[/citation]
That's in the next generation Llano if you can wait a year.
THG doesn't seem very impressed since the Sandy Bridge is already a very fast CPU. But, what's exciting for me is getting desktop size descrete GPU performance in an integrated GPU size package. This means I can do real work and play modern 3D games on a netbook/smal notebook. Try doing that on a Atom or Sandy Bridge with integrated graphics.
There will be desktop Llanos also, but I don't care as much about those.

gruntlord6

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I know that these are just Phenom II's with a GPU on-die but they really should have paired BD with the GPU instead.[/citation]
not even close, its a new architecture, just like comparing I7 to core2quad.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Hope its never too late...
Since the time they've announced Fusion, Intel got on their feet and viola! Here is Sandy Bridge...
AMD is late, but hope not toooooo late...

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
If Llano is only just going out to OEMs and will still make a Q2 release, Bulldozer should easily come out in Q2 as it's already been sent out.

[citation][nom]thefog101[/nom]I'm pretty sure that Driver version (8.15.10.2276) is dating back to the era of GMA950/965's.[/citation]
Intel's site has this as the latest, dated 10th March 2011:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows 7*, Windows Vista* (exe)

Installs graphics driver version 15.21.12.2321 (8.15.10.2321) for Intel® integrated graphics.

The 64-bit version is as follows, same date:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows 7* 64, Windows Vista* 64 (exe)

Installs graphics driver version 15.21.12.64.2321 (8.15.10.2321) for Intel® integrated graphics.

The 8.15.10.2xxx doesn't make it ancient; version 2291 came out on 2nd February. AMD may not have been using the latest driver, however it would still have been pretty current, and it's unlikely to have been the 32-bit version.

Llano has a revised memory controller which should give it a performance boost over Phenom II, or at least, make up for the lack of L3 cache.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Sihastru[/nom]This looks more and more like last year's comparison between the Zecate APU and the mobile Intel i5 platform. AMD was destroying Intel in those tests, but when it came out, Zecate could barely compare to the Atom D510/D525.[/citation]
I wonder, where you get your facts from. Zacate absolutely destroyed Atom and was very good in in 3D heavy apps vs core 5i.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Llano is the final chapter of K7 derivatives (K10 is just an enhanced K8 which is an enhanced K7). Once, we were heaping praise on AMD for the K7 being so ahead of its time, but AMD's inability to move to a new architecture over the past 12 years has sorely damaged them. Bulldozer can't really arrive quickly enough.

G

whatever test they do between the two competing brands, it will be obvious that the amd llano will be a much better choice than the intel's sandy bridge because of amd's much superior graphics capabilities that leaves a the sandy bridge graphics to shame. in laptops, graphics rules.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
^^ and price. Intel graphics stink and now with more flash dependent browsing and computing the GPU era of acceleration it's a smarter choice to buy a slightly underclocked processor and a better GPU for lappies and most desktops. With the APU, at least this APU, AMD has achieved that. These will make great chips for all purpose desktops and laptops. In the end you'll save money and gain performance buying an APU rather than a discrete or integrated CPU/GPU.

The trinity line of chips will feature bulldozer cores in an APU fashion. Coming early 2012 i believe. Bear in mind that these llano chips aren't really for the enthusiast. we'll have to wait for bulldozer for that

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007

Next-gen. :) I think the end of this year, or beginning of next year, if memory serves me right. :)

crinkdude

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I like AMD but alot of people (who know nothing about computers) will always say AMD is crap and that they have a Pentium (instead of saying Intel) chip. Always makes me laugh : D

Status
Not open for further replies.