AMD Overclocking Club

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Steamroller, Excavator, DELOREAN TIME MACHINE, USS ENTERPRISE, whatever comes next.
it better produce to see me again.

ROFL

my upgrade path will be Thuban BE eventually but I like "MOAH cores" because of all the video work I like to do
as long as Thuban BEs dont skyrocket in price

Theories on Overclocking and Stability IMHO

Well today in my quest to get my ram running at DDR3-1600 (which failed)
I was able to get my CPU up to 3.6ghz from 2.8ghz.
I have been running 3.5ghz which was stable.
So at 3.6ghz I ran these stress/benches multiple times: Intel Burn Test,3Dmark 11 and Vantage,Cinebench 11.5 and was using the computer all day with no problems.
So I went and did my Prime95 testing.
Well on small FFTs which doesnt stress ram it ran fine for over a half hour.
So I tried on Blend which tests alot of ram and it failed in less than ten minutes with the 3.6ghz settings.
so all of my other benching and stressing worked great.
I have seen users declare their OC to be "stable enough"
While I dont believe in 8 hour P95 testing anymore I also dont believe in the phrase
"stable enough"
so I decided the extra 100mhz wasnt worth the time anymore and reset back to 3.5ghz.
funny I could have put some convincing screenshots of my system running at 3.6ghz
but I know that would've been cheating LOL
I did get a good Cinebench run which I posted but I got to go back and disclaim that result as invalid due to unstable OC
if anybody bothered to read this far thank you so much

I was asking you that question on another thread if they take OCing into account
I think it is value vs performance for gaming
so while a 8120 is a more powerful cpu than the 4170 when it comes to FPS vs price
the 4170 wins
remembering that most games dont use over 4 threads at most then the extra money for more cores doesnt make sense
for example if just gaming then buying a 2600k wouldnt make sense compared to a 2500k

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
It might be for well-threaded games that lean heavily on the CPU such as Skyrim...but for the most part, no, it wouldn't really be any better.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the chart both of those CPUs are in the same tier so the 2600K isn't really listed higher....just a little higher within the same tier

okay to quote toms at beginning of CPU guide

"This list is for gamers who want to get the most for their money. If you don’t play games, then the CPUs on this list may not be suitable for your particular needs.

The criteria to get on this list are strictly price/performance. We acknowledge that there are other factors that come into play, such as platform price or CPU overclockability, but we're not going to complicate things by factoring in motherboard costs. We may add honorable mentions for outstanding products in the future, though. For now, our recommendations are based on stock clock speeds and performance at that price."

well I have a problem
why would a 2600k be rated higher than a 2500k using price vs performance as a guideline

the extra HT "cores" would be useless in gaming and the cost of the 2600k would not be justified compared to a 2500k
that is especially true of the I7-3xxx series

and I am not even going to start on a 4170 being a better pick than a 975,980
a 975 OEM is 129 and a 4170 is 139
enough said

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Well the article was to gauge CPUs from a price vs. performance standpoint, however that chart at the end is strictly based on performance, so you'd have to factor in the price yourself to make that judgement call. Because the 2600K and 2500K are in the same tier of performance but the 2600K costs 50% more, it is obviously much worse for gaming from a value standpoint.

To quote the article:

Here is a resource to help you judge if a CPU is a reasonable value or not: the gaming CPU hierarchy chart, which groups CPUs with similar overall gaming performance levels into tiers. The top tier contains the highest-performing gaming CPUs available and gaming performance decreases as you go down the tiers from there.

@mal: That's why the 4170 is a higher tier than the 8120. Only four cores, but a 35% higher core clock.

I think the higher tiers need to be split up
lose the bottom tier if they have to
somebody reading that chart would think that a 139.99 4170 would be a better value than a 975BE 129.99
even by all around performance and not gaming that would be steering them wrong

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
how does a 1k$ cpu (i7 3960) can manage to be in tier 1 on a price to performance basis (it is no.1 on performance basis but not in p/p)?
It needs to be with pentiums.

@king
i7 is better series, so they placed i7 at higher position, because they cann't increase the width of chart too much so they have to place i7 at top.

@mal
4170 can make sense in 4/5th tier but definately not in 3rd.
970 can beat it in any single threaded tasks, 955 can smoke it away in any multithreaded tasks.
So 4170@140$ is a anomaly in tier 3.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
when i overclock my cpu then chokes (vrm) gets too hot (so hot that i can't touch them).
So i am planing to paste aluminium heat sink on them,
so the question is , Is it safe?

(As chokes works on emi and thus these heat sink may damage them or may influence their working, but heat sinks that i am going to use are madeup of aluminium)

well points for effort
at least he is not copying anybody
I am still waiting to see other members posting their certs in their sig lines LOL

I am on a mission now
I am convinced that I can hit 3.6ghz stable with ram at 1600
Since you are always right Mal
I am going to set the settings back to stock,set my ram and then raise OC
(and NO voltage to RAM-at 1600mhz stock it shouldnt need volts)
if I can hit 3.6ghz 1600 ram then I feel like I really accomplished something with this PHII 925
but will testing will have to wait until later tonight

LOL
dont forget the fireman
I dont know why I cant be happy with 3.5ghz 1333
I almost feel like I am on a quest for the Holy Grail LOL
"MOAH Power" mentality is hard to let go
I was the same way with cars always trying to get just a little more HP
I think alot of car guys are overclockers
same mindset you know

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

good idea
i only have 2x90mm fan. :ange:
but if i place it directly above vrm system (i don't know :pt1cable: ) then it will cause air turbulence in my cabinet and it will blow the hot air from cpu heat sink to vrm. :ouch: .

so what about this edited version of your idea :bounce:
i will try to use a 50mm fan (by using motor of cell phone :pt1cable: (vibrating system) or from my toys :whistle: ) and then i will use it to blow air on chokes (not from top) from sides so as to avoid air turbulence and to avoid reusing hot air from cpu :sol:

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
and what about these overclocks

fake downclock
11.gif

fake overclock
10.gif

true overclock, fully stable (msi kombuster, c11.5, vantage, furmark), max temp 75'c gpu and 85'c mem
12.gif

look at the numbers
1.0ghz, 16.0, 40.0, 90.0, that means all are rounded off except memclk

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Mine have an aluminum heatsink on them, which is connected to the southbridge heatsinks by heat pipes...but, but my board came with it. I did however remove the crappy rubber thermal pad and replace it with arctic MX-2. It should be fine as aluminum is non-magnetic, but I wouldn't recommend using a conductive thermal grease like arctic silver.

Thanks to Mal I got my ram running at 1667mhz at 3.5ghz

CPU: AMD Phenom II x 4 925 2.8ghz Deneb non-BE C2
Frequency: 3500mhz
ref*multi: 14 x 250
CPU voltage: 1.53v
CPU-NB: auto
nb frequency: 2500mhz
NB volts: 1.22
HTT frequency- 2500mhz
RAM: DDR3-1667mhz 10-10-10-30 1T 1.65v
Motherboard: Asus M4A77TD 770
Cooling: Hyper N520 70F room idle - 36c max-54c IBT and P95

thank you very much recon-uk

I have had it at 3.6 and passing all tests (IBT CInebench 11.5 3dmark11)
even passed small ffts in prime95 but wouldnt pass blend
but I needed my CPU volts at 1.55
which for an extra 100mhz I am not willing to raise the voltage that high

BTW recon-uk I had a HD 5670-that is a great card for the money-ran Crysis 2 DX9 and Metro 2033 DX10 at 1920x1080 at pretty decent settings-it died an untimely death (my fault) or otherwise I would still be using it