AMD Phenom II x4 -- HDX945WFGMBOX vs HDX945WFK4DGM

pd_cpa

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hi All,

I have a mobo, M2N32-SLI Wifi, which accepts HDX945WFK4DGM. Because HDX945WFK4DGM is hard to find and expensive, can I try to use HDX945WFGMBOX for an upgrade?

Thanks!

NathanEDavid

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Just for future reference, having an exact part number isn't always a big deal anyway, as long as you are in the ball park and your BIOS supports the memory controller and other features. The Asus moderator in their forum sort of unofficially suggested that I might try a six core Deneb 95W AMD CPU in my M2A-VM. The big issue there is that it is better not to exceed the power range for the board, which mine is a 95W board. I've never seen a 95W Deneb Hex core available, but I am curious about them... NOW.

Many people in the forums, like on Asus and around, are using 125W CPUs on this same MOBO and loving it. The CPU that I have right now is not the exact part number as what is officially supported on the CPU support list for my MOBO. Mine, like yours, needs the HDX945WFGMBOX or OEM equivalent, or for the 2.8 GHZ, a CPU with C2 stepping, but I am running a 2.8 AMD 925 that has C3 stepping, which, as I suspected, is just a little better stepping than the C2 if overclocking (but still is a 95W CPU). The guy who sold me my AMD 925 said that it would be just fine, which I thought so anyway, and it works flawlessly. I did, however, just find an HDX945WFGMBOX on Ebay, NIB, for only $55 with $10 shipping - about half an hour ago, much to my surprise. It never hurts to put your "looking for" items on Ebay's list to notify you when one comes available! Now I can upgrade my wife's computer too!