AMD possible suicide note

Assman, your pictures rock my world (although I think the moderators would rightfully have an issue with them, as well as it would be offensive to many women).

I sure hope AMD isn't think about buying anything, where the hell would they get the cash?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
hmmm well i dont know if that is a great decision since they are already low on money, but i guess not too low.

I surely hope AMD's next set or processors will be amazing and we will be back to the Intel AMD wars again where we get good prices and better technology

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Has Hector Lost his mind?

The Korean Government massively subsidizes their DRAM makers (as in "dumping" as define by the WTO), the industry is a yoyo price wise, and long term it's a low margin business, at very best....

AMD is billions in debt, bleeding like a stick pig, ... so lets add billions more debt so they can expand their business into a low margin arena and pay more interest with money they are not making... so the can buy a 3rd rate player in a market where nobody makes money anyway....

Have I missed anything?

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
I think they want to cram a CPU, GPU, AND 8 GB of RAM under a winky HSF. It is going to be called Con-Fusion.

Memory business OMG is Hector still working there??? I think Intel tried something with the memory game and couldn't make a dime when flash margins dropped, but don't remember all the details.

Maybe they are trying to tank the stock on purpose, or make the company go under. This makes no sense.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Intel is still in the Memory game. They have the combined company called IM for Intel Micron for NAND flash and they and ST Micro are planning to make a new company for NOR flash.

Remember. Intel started out as a memory company and morphed into a processor company back in the early 80's.

Kob

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
AMD had a joint NOR flash business with Fujitsu since the early 90's. In early 2000 their memory business was a heavy drag on the balance sheet, losing money like a clockwork - so much so that every quarterly conference call the analysts asked when AMD would rid itself off the memory business. In 2005 AMD finally divested itself and the joint venture went public under the name Spansion.
Somehow I thought that that nightmare was still fresh in the company's memory (no pun intended). Apparently not.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Remember also, that AMD spun off it's Spanasion division, to save money. So, why would they want to invest in another memory company, after spinning off it's own joint venture company?

@assman - nice picture.

jwlangs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
First, from a perspective based on their current financial situation, I have to agree that it doesn't seem like a good decision. But just for fun, if they could buy Qimonda and stay afloat, that gives them processor + chipset + GPU + memory = complete platform. They could sell entire systems dirt cheap. If price wars are going to go on, and they will, then AMD has to think VOLUME. What better way than to sell millions of cheap systems made entirely from AMD components.

That being said, here's the home page of Qimonda:

http://qimonda.com/

GDDR5 anyone?

sailer

Splendid
Odd, I made a post and it got deleted, though I didn't think I said anything that should be offensive, but rather commented on something I thought was offensive. Oh well.

Back to the subject from the OP, I doubt that AMD could get the financing to buy anything new, much less a ram company that is loosing money. I would class the Reuters report as rumor only, and then forget it. Rumors circulate constantly that never turn into reality. As it is, AMD needs to concentrate on getting Barcelona to run faster.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

I would have to say that your thread topic is a little over the top.........suicide note......give me a break..... :pt1cable:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Whoa!

AMD must have a secret sugar daddy. Either that or a serious crack addiction. How on the good green earth are they going to pull that off when they already have $3.7 billion (plus interest) to pay off by 2012 for those damed Senior Notes? And I dont think Morgan & Stanley are going to offer them any more loans.