AMD question

At the moment I have a AMD xp2000+ 1.7gh the computer im thinking of buying
has a AMD 3400-64 yet it says its 1.6gh ( its a Tiny Typhoon btw ) does the
1.6 run twice as fast because its a 64 bit processor or am I missing
something .
thanks
Rob

There is really no clear relationship between the two. While there are
probably other features of the new mobo/CPU that will increase speed you
could see only minor improvements in 32 bit code you are now running and a
great deal of difference in new 64bit apps you may add as they arrive.

"nappy" <no_spam_@sorry.com> wrote in message
> There is really no clear relationship between the two. While there are
> probably other features of the new mobo/CPU that will increase speed you
> could see only minor improvements in 32 bit code you are now running and a
> great deal of difference in new 64bit apps you may add as they arrive.

It would bear mentioning the huge FSB difference between the system he
currently has and the one he's thinking of getting. The performance
difference for encoding mpeg or etc would actually be quite noticeable.

"