AMD Questions Nvidia Kepler's DirectX 11.1 Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]wanderer11[/nom]Most games are still DX9. Does it really matter if they do/don't support DX11.1?[/citation]
You're most likely right. We won't see anything much better until the new consoles come out. By that time, we may have DX 12 and then, devs will finally start focusing much more on DX11 or 11.1.

JJ1217

Honorable
Until DX 11.1 is put on Windows 7 I can't foresee its features used in future games. Just like catering for consoles game developers will cater for its largest potential market.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
"ALSO:

The feature the color RED. It is MUCH cooler than the dumb color green that nvidia is sporting!!!"

DX11.1 vs DX11 is about as relevant as the above statement. You have a great foothold in the GPU department AMD, don't screw it up like the advertising for your bulldozer cpu's did.

dweezled

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
So let's get this straight: Nvidia says it supports the DX 11.1 features that are "useful for gaming", not all DX 11.1 features and AMD says it supports all DX 11.1 features. Assuming both companies are correct with their statements the question remains do the missing DX 11.1 features from Nvidia make a difference for gaming or not? This article doesn't answer the question. In other words does "target indpendent rasterization", "UAV", "Sum of Absolute Differences" make any difference in gaming? If so seems like AMD would have an advantage.

Seems to me AMD is intent on serving (and pushing) the furtherance of OpenCL and the advances of Direct Compute in 11.1.

It's understandable, and good for AMD, as stream processing and physics acceleration would likely gain a healthy boost from API advances and the GCN arch.

I suspect there are gains to be realized for nVidia, too, but Kepler was a step back in the compute department. Whether this is due to their focus on their own stuff, physics, CUDA, etc. ... Who knows?

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... and yet Borderlands 2 is DX9 32Bit... but with nVidias Physx... i do think, that AMD should put more effort in to working together with all major game engine developers...

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
by the time the game make full use DX11.1, we will need something like Radeon HD9000 or Geforce GTX900 series as minimum requirement. right now we are still DX9 and barely touch DX10/11 features.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
yea.. you have full dx11.1 support but if nobody is making software or games with all the features mentioned are the same story as not having the support.

honestly.. when we seeing games using full tesselation done right.. not to mention the little 0.1 extensions. by the time it important... dx12 is arround.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
What a pain for programmers. Hopefully if you ask nVidia drivers if they support DirectX 11.1 fully (Yep, DirectX does this), the drivers won't say "yes"

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]by the time the game make full use DX11.1, we will need something like Radeon HD9000 or Geforce GTX900 series as minimum requirement. right now we are still DX9 and barely touch DX10/11 features.[/citation]
Not necessarily. Using a newer version of DX can achieve similar results with a reduced computational burden. For example, running World of Warcraft in DX11 mode increases the framerate.

The reason enabling a later DX version in many games reduces the framerate is that the games make use of new features to increase the detail level beyond what is even possible with earlier DX versions (regardless of hardware performance).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-7.html

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Much as I like your video cards AMD, we'll probably be on DX20 before you get round to enabling current features! Do we have decently working hardware video encoding working yet? last time I looked some software made partial use if the hardware but I suspect that was just general gpu compute.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
This is the sad second time that nVidia kicks AMD in the groin. First time was when MS decided to put some specific MMU stuff in DirectX 10, nVidia did nothing about it, ATI/AMD spent a lot of effort doing it, and when DX10 came out, MS removed the MMU features from it since nVidia couldn't do it.

It's not about having the latest... it's about market strategy.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]wanderer11[/nom]Most games are still DX9. Does it really matter if they do/don't support DX11.1?[/citation]
And other games supported new DX versions right after arrival. I think X-Ray engine is a good example for this.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
i love all the nvidia fans. "no games use dx11.1 so it doesn't matter". maybe not now but what about in 6 months or a year. sure you can buy a gtx 780 in 6 months for $500+ but there is really no excuse for a gtx 6XX card that came out a couple months ago to not fully support dx11.1. seems pretty lame. this is the kind of thing i would usually expect from amd. also before you call me an amd fanboy i have no allegiance to either company. i buy whatever company/card has the best price/performance at the time.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hasn't a partial DX11.1 update already been released for Windows 7 a while back? Or is it still due? I remember reading about it after the uproar caused my MS initially suggesting that DX11.1 is Win 8 exclusive.

BTW if Win 7 also only gets partial 11.1 support like Kepler has, won't it make even less of a difference to people?

Status
Not open for further replies.