Question AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT Sapphire Nitro+ only outputs display on one monitor

Nov 8, 2023
I recently upgraded from a 2070 super to a Radeon 7800 XT. Previously, on the NVIDIA, both of my monitors were detected and powered on just fine. However, after installing the AMD graphics card, only one display works at any given time. If i reboot and switch which monitor is plugged in, it will display. with both of them plugged in, only one displays regardless of which port, adapter, or cable I use. I was running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon. I updated drivers- no luck. Reinstalled my OS- no luck. I reset BIOS- no luck. I even swapped out the PCI cable powering the graphics card. It does not appear to be a driver issue, as only a single monitor powers on at boot. One always remains off during boot, I cannot figure out what the issue is. Ive combed through BIOS for any settings that might help- no luck.

I am running on an
i7-9700k
Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NItro plus
32 GB RAM
850 Watt power supply
MSI motherboard

I have no idea where to go from here. Starting to suspect the Card is faulty, About to load a windows install to see if the proprietary sofftware gives me any insight.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

850 Watt power supply
850W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the unit and it's age?

MSI motherboard
MSI is the brand of the board, what is the model of the motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard?

Starting to suspect the Card is faulty
Was the card purchased used?

Nov 8, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

850 Watt power supply
850W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the unit and it's age?

MSI motherboard
MSI is the brand of the board, what is the model of the motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard?

Starting to suspect the Card is faulty
Was the card purchased used?
The power supply is a Corsair 850x that is around 4 years old.
The MSI Motherboard is a MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
The Card was purchased new on amazon.

Nov 8, 2023
UPDATE: I put a clean install of windows 10 and linux mint on my SSD, dual booting them. I switched to HDMI cords on both monitors instead of display port on one of them. in windows, i downloaded the Trixx and radeon software, installed the drivers- still no luck. I went into device manager, uninstalled my display driver. I then went to monitor, generic PnP monitor, scanned for hardware changes, and reinstalled the AMD driver. Boom, it works on windows. Driver issue, not a hardware issue. I still cannot get both displays to appear on linux Mint, however. Wanted to post this for anyone with similar issues.

TRENDING THREADS