News AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, Radeon 7900 XT, and RDNA 3 Revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Now to wait for benchmarks and see (more like confirm?) if the 4080 is DOA at $1200.

nvidia can simply drop the price. doing that is extremely much more easier than have to cancel the product entirely like they did with 4080 12GB. also even if 7900XTX can get near or match 4090 performance $1000 is still a lot of money. majority of gamer out there are not willing to pay that kind of money just for GPU alone.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Personally, I'm pretty disappointed that AMD is even bothering to launch a flagship card. At some point this generation AMD will be selling a card with RTX 3070 level performance for around or below $300. That should have been their launch target.
What's the point in trying to compete at the high-end when RDNA cards have no mainstream credibility?
They still haven't educated the market that RDNA is a lot better than GCN, nor that their drivers have improved.
What chance does AMD really have to capture the "money is no object" market, when none of their cards can even break the top 15 on steam?
The GTX 960 gained market share over AMD last month. Even though AMD's better performing RX 6400 is occasionally available as low as $120. What I'm saying, is that "slightly lower extreme-high-end pricing" will never solve their fundamental problem. AMD handled their constant GCN refreshes/rebrandings so poorly that they still have a bad reputation to overcome with the 90% of gamers in the mainstream market. So far, AMD still has done almost nothing to try and win that market back. AMD can't compete with Nvidia on marketing dollars. AMD really has no choice but to release a modern $200-$300 card with "you would be a complete moron to buy anything else" levels of performance.
Until that happens, Nvidia will be able to continue acting like AMD doesn't even exist.

If AMD can't even convince GTX 960 owners to upgrade, then how can they expect their sales pitch to work on gamers using a 2080 Ti?

2022-11-03-image.png
As you pointed out, halo products don't end up anywhere near top 15 most used GPUs, be it from Nvidia or AMD. And truth to be told, GPUs this generation is going to sell badly since the economy is in shambles despite what the mainstream media is trying to paint a not so bad picture. Inflation is so high, that things like GPUs are not going to be priority.

nvidia can simply drop the price. doing that is extremely much more easier than have to cancel the product entirely like they did with 4080 12GB. also even if 7900XTX can get near or match 4090 performance $1000 is still a lot of money. majority of gamer out there are not willing to pay that kind of money just for GPU alone.
I mean... Looking at history, I don't remember any point in time nVidia has walked back of an announced MSRP right before launch. AMD has though. The cancelling of the 4080 12GB is definitely weird as the 3060 8GB and 3060ti GDDR6X now exist, so nVidia lost a lot (more) credibility there.

I'm not saying it's impossible and nVidia may just have to eat it this time, but I would be super surprised if they would. I'm sure they'll try their hardest to just use their mindshare/features to the fullest instead.

Regards.

I mean... Looking at history, I don't remember any point in time nVidia has walked back of an announced MSRP right before launch. AMD has though. The cancelling of the 4080 12GB is definitely weird as the 3060 8GB and 3060ti GDDR6X now exist, so nVidia lost a lot (more) credibility there.

I'm not saying it's impossible and nVidia may just have to eat it this time, but I would be super surprised if they would. I'm sure they'll try their hardest to just use their mindshare/features to the fullest instead.

Regards.

that's what intel will do (in the past). but not nvidia. nvidia usually will respond more quickly rather than being delusional that competitor cannot hurt them because they have better mind share.

Reactions: -Fran-

Colif

Win 11 Master
I'll wait for the next model down, but consuming the same power as last generation while being that much cheaper than the nvidia offers... It still stands that if you don't care for nvidia cuda or Ray Tracing, this is a no brainer.
I was looking at a 6800xt, now I am looking at a 7900xt as they both have same power output.
It may not be the top end card but it surely beat my 2070 Super and I won't have to replace my PSU to do it.
Not everyone expected AMD to beat Nvidia in RT.

Reactions: -Fran- and alceryes

Colif

Win 11 Master
That depends on how prices translate to where I live.
I will need to look at cards once they out to see recommended power draw on both models made by AIB's. Some are likely to add more requirements onto the xtx boards.

Last edited:

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Because AMD's software leaves much to be desired, and I speak from 15 years of experience with Radeon cards, having to keep multiple driver sets, sometimes a year of failed driver sets due to issues they won't fix. nVidia's sofware experience is just worth it.
I've owned Radeon/AMD GPUs and nVidia GPUs, I've never come across bad drivers from AMD, they've always worked for me.

Giroro

Splendid
As you pointed out, halo products don't end up anywhere near top 15 most used GPUs, be it from Nvidia or AMD. And truth to be told, GPUs this generation is going to sell badly since the economy is in shambles despite what the mainstream media is trying to paint a not so bad picture. Inflation is so high, that things like GPUs are not going to be priority.
True, halo products are not the most used. What I was trying to get at is that AMD's mainstream products are not at that level of popularity either, despite being a far better value for raster performance right now. I think this is due to mediocre launch press and AMD's struggling to get past their poor reputation in the mainstream. They need a product that is a universally recommended banger, right out the gate. I think their top 4 on steam are "AMD Radeon Graphics" (steam deck?), RX 580, RX 5700, and RX 570. So, none of their current desktop GPUs.
Look at the RX 6400 again. It launched at $160 and got terrible reviews. Tom's tagline was literally "Feels more like a $120 card". Now you can get it at $120, but all anybody remembers is that the RX 6400 is overpriced and sucks. AMD can't gain market momentum without decisive wins. Their CPU team understood this, I'm not sure why the GPU team hasn't figured it out. Usually, I would blame Raja Kodori's terrible business acumen and deep technical incompetence, but he's been busy spending the last couple years away from AMD to ensure that Intel Arc also launches with broken software and a bad reputation.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I've owned Radeon/AMD GPUs and nVidia GPUs, I've never come across bad drivers from AMD, they've always worked for me.
Same. I think it did crash once on me though, but it was a lifetime ago. I was using a preview build of Win7 and I installed a printer driver. The printer driver installation crashed, and then after the reboot the AMD drivers died, and then after that everything died. I had to format and reinstall Windows.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Considering the connector issues now also appear to be the standard, I’m definitively getting an AMD card if it’s on the budget and time to upgrade.

To all wondering about driver issues: it used to be a windows thing with old drovers, the newer windows 10 and 11 model are rock solid, including the beta ones.

Reactions: AndrewJacksonZA

Colif

Win 11 Master
From what I have seen, it can depend on the card.
AMD have 2 sets of drivers,
and since the legacy section contains a lot of different cards, its possible you might run into support problems with some features. I am not sure how long before a card goes onto legacy list.

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

hannibal

Distinguished

Regards.

Nvidia don´t have to reduce prices. Their GPUs sell even if they cost "too much"... So yeah, I agree. I don´t expect to see price reductions soon.
Most likely we will get 4080 ti model that has same speed as 7900XTX about $200-$300 higher price (Nvidia tax) and Nvidia and Nvidia customers will be happy with that! 4090 will stay the highest and brightest in its own. 4080 will sell well enough even if it is more expensive and slover than 7900XTX and will get price cut when 4080ti model is released to compete with 7900XT model at higher price of course, but maybe below 7900XTX or at the same price.
"You get real Nvidia at the same price as the imposter!" ;) "The more you buy, the more you save! So buy the 4090ti!"

Hey we have figured it all out already. We have the marketing campaing ready for the 2023!

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
Because AMD's software leaves much to be desired, and I speak from 15 years of experience with Radeon cards, having to keep multiple driver sets, sometimes a year of failed driver sets due to issues they won't fix. nVidia's sofware experience is just worth it.

Show us something besides "You say so" I have had very few issues with AMD drivers!
Now ATI? yeah they had some issues back in the early 2000s. AMD has no more issues with a few games than Nvidia, this has already been beat to death.
I own both AMD and Nvidia, haven't had issues with either.

Nvidia don´t have to reduce prices. Their GPUs sell even if they cost "too much"... So yeah, I agree. I don´t expect to see price reductions soon.
Most likely we will get 4080 ti model that has same speed as 7900XTX about $200-$300 higher price (Nvidia tax) and Nvidia and Nvidia customers will be happy with that! 4090 will stay the highest and brightest in its own. 4080 will sell well enough even if it is more expensive and slover than 7900XTX and will get price cut when 4080ti model is released to compete with 7900XT model at higher price of course, but maybe below 7900XTX or at the same price.
"You get real Nvidia at the same price as the imposter!" ;) "The more you buy, the more you save! So buy the 4090ti!"

Hey we have figured it all out already. We have the marketing campaing ready for the 2023!
The nuance is "backpedaling on an announced MSRP before launch". It's even less likely.

Regards.

D

Deleted member 431422

Anyone know when NDA expires? The reviews will appear at 13th December?

Mar 21, 2021
It's a shame that AMD has decided not to compete with the 4090. Their flagship "7900 XTX" is meant to compete with the upcoming 4080. I was considering picking up a 7900 XTX to see how it performs against my 4090's, but probably will not bother now.

Anyone know when NDA expires? The reviews will appear at 13th December?
Often AMD and Nvidia will have reviews go live the day before the retail launch. So potentially Dec 12. (I don't know yet), but for sure by Dec. 13.
It's a shame that AMD has decided not to compete with the 4090. Their flagship "7900 XTX" is meant to compete with the upcoming 4080. I was considering picking up a 7900 XTX to see how it performs against my 4090's, but probably will not bother now.
I heard a few people at AMD basically say they were "surprised" by how big Nvidia went with the RTX 4090 and AD102 — that AMD was somewhat caught off guard. If you look at the RTX 3090 and 3080, I think AMD was expecting closer to that, and by the time solid rumors were showing AD102 with up to 144 SMs it was too late to change anything.

You know what would be fun? If AMD decided to do an even bigger GCD for "Navi 30" or something. Imagine a 450mm^2 die, with up to eight MCDs. That would be pretty freaking awesome, but then it would also be a $1,500 or higher part.

Sep 25, 2022
I'm excited. Between the slap in the face that was the ludicrous 40xx pricing, the slap in the face that was mistreating a consumer-first company like EVGA so bad that they quit GPUs, and the slap in the face that is this power adapter debacle, I've decided to go for the XTX. I've never had a Radeon card before, and the horror stories about broken software are a in the back of my mind, but I think I need a break from GeForce stuff for a while.

I know they're both companies and neither really cares about the average Joe (unless Joe is loaded), but I like to think that looking elsewhere sends a message to nVidia that I'm not happy with them right now. Emphasis on "I like to think that" because realistically I'm a drop in the ocean to those guys, but whatever. I guess it's the principle of the thing.

I have a new build in the works, with a 13700kf and DDR5 coming soon, and I've decided to do a custom loop as well, so I'm hoping for a water-cooled AIB card at some point. I'm upgrading from a 2080 and an 8700k. I hope the XTX is as good as AMD says... I'll be waiting for some reviews to pull the trigger. I'm hyped.

@boe rhae congratz on the 13700K, its a good balance between performance, power consumption and cooling needs (you can dial down the power on any of the 13th gen intel cpu, losing just a little bit of performance, saving power and reducing temps). DDR5 is for me the way to go if you are buying now with hopes to keep the system (or at least the RAM) for a few years.

As for the Radeon RX 7900XTX, I would say it will be an improvement on your previous GPU, but it will all depend on the games, resolution and details setting that you use. Why do I say this?, because the new i7 13700k will most likely be able to get some extra performance from your current RTX 2080, not a lot but it should be able to get some.

Then again if you are aiming for 1440p + high/ultra details setting + high refresh rate +144Hz or 4K + high details + high refresh rate, then the RX 7900XTX should be a nice upgrade.

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
It's been a good while since I've had to buy a new card (1080 GTX) and I'm looking at the 7900 XTX as a replacement. I have to ask though, my GTX has enough outputs for me to plug in three monitors and a Valve Index. This is the first time I've seen a USB-C on a GPU, would that suffice for a monitor?

It's been a good while since I've had to buy a new card (1080 GTX) and I'm looking at the 7900 XTX as a replacement. I have to ask though, my GTX has enough outputs for me to plug in three monitors and a Valve Index. This is the first time I've seen a USB-C on a GPU, would that suffice for a monitor?
Yes, it supports DisplayPort 2.1 over a USB-C connection. If you want a regular DP connection, there should be an adapter. It sounds like a lot of the upcoming DP2.1 monitors will use a native USB-C connector.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
the horror stories about broken software are a in the back of my mind
I've been using AMD card exclusively for the past 13 years now, and the drivers have been fine for me. The worst driver experiences I've have were with Nvidia before I switched over.

I know they're both companies and neither really cares about the average Joe (unless Joe is loaded)
100%, chuckle.