256MB CAS2 PC133 SDRAM (Crucial)
IBM 46GB UDMA-100, 7200rpm HD
Creative Dxr2 MPEG decoder/DVD-ROM
Creative SB Live! Platinum 5.1
PCI Modem

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Buy both, try both, return one as not met with expectations.
Radeon haz video in and out, if you use those, will help sometimes. I have GTS Deluxe, runs fine on 9x and w2k, would like to try Radeon sometimes when they will have good w2k drivers and come down in price.

K7 + KT7A + SBLive! + VooDoo3000 = :smile:
P3 + CUSL2-C + MX300 + Asus7700 = :smile:

G

Ouch those UK prices are steep. That's even bad for Canadians like myself. We normally get screwed more than you brits even though I live 200km/120miles from the US!

mm2k

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Really? I though they were bargins! The Radeon 64MB VIVO usually retails for around £290-£310, with the GeForce GTS cards around £250. You would b shocked to hear then, that we have to pay around £400 for the luxary of the Hercules GeForce 2 Ultra!! This makes the radeon somewhat of a baragin. A friend of mine recently picked one up for £159, but they must have realised this and upped the price, the shop in question now wants £290 for it. And one of the most expensive prices I've seen - Simply.co.uk selling the Hercules 3D prophet II GeForce 2 Ultra 64MB for a massive £411.24!!!

You obviously havn't heard the knickname 'rip-off britain' coined by many a british consumer.

G

You can pick up those video cards for the same number of USD as pounds! 1.5 CDN = 1 USD, 2.5 CDN = 1 UK pound. In Canada, if you instead buy stuff from the US you get it up the ass with a nasty "brokerage fee" from the courier for the trouble of passing a bar code reader over the package when going over the boarder. Then you get to pay our 15% sales tax, shipping, exchange. By the time you do that it's usually better to just buy it locally. Other things like cars are much cheaper in Canada than the US. For some reason we've always gotten screwed on computers/electronics.

mm2k

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Well I really can't decide. The Radeon wins on features, but I've heard of porblems with the VIA chipsets - will this effect my Abit KTA-RAID board? Are the DDR boards any more stable? Can anyone offer any experience of GeForce Vs Radeon first hand (rather than from reading a review - i've done that).

Makaveli

Splendid
My system
MSI K7T 2-A
Athlon T-bird 700 @ 800mhz
128 pc133
Quantum 7200 30 Gig HD
Soundblaster live
Ati RadeOn 64mb DDR VIVO

I don't have any problems with my card, Though U must have the updated Via 4in1 Drivers installed (i'm using 4.28final)
And Windows ME.
Any other conflicts i've had were some games But I was aware of these problems from reading the readme files that came with the games. Some Games have driver issues with This card. out of the like 50 games i've played only like 1or2 of these had problems and these can be correct with an update from game website or ATi driver !
Other than that it's an excellent Card and was well worth the money I paid for it. I'm not gonna get into an Ati vs Nivida thing cause u choose the card u feel is best for U.
I was very pleased with the image quality and performance so I got it. I'm not the kinda to take FPS over image quality.
any game u can play on a GTS 2 u can play on a Radeon plain and simple!

mm2k

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Well I rekon I'm gonna take a chance on the Radeon. It wins hands down on features. Its a great price compared to MX alternative from Hercules at £118. and is suficiently better equipped to beat Asus V7700 at £169.

I just hope I can stick to this decision long enough to buy it!

G

strange, very strange, people making up their minds, and then need approval to the already existing decision.. strange, very strange...

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink: