AMD RX 400 series (Polaris) MegaThread! FAQ & Resources

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
KIT Guru Nitro RX 480 reveiw

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-4gb-8gb-review/

According to them the Nitro isn't loud at all. They hint at a software bug that overrides the fan speed but they got around it.

still is it practical to run the chip at that speed for two or three years straight without breaking? RX480 definitely have the potential to go higher but why board partner did not really push for it? one of the reason that i can think of is board partner are afraid to lose warranty from AMD if they do it excessively.

very true. that's why i don't take it seriously when they say AIB will hit 1.6Ghz on air. and yet some people take that as a truth and then set unrealistic expectation on RX480. they also claim there will be 2.5Ghz 1080 (and of course it is on air) from board partner.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here is a review of the powercolor red devil card which includes the nitro, strix and reference 480's https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-red-devil-test/

looks like it's gonna be the same as pascal with no room for overclocking or more than a small difference in card performance between the reference and custom cards. makes deciding easy as you pick the one that looks good to you and is priced right and move on :)

edit: eng translation https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-red-devil-test/&prev=search

with pascal i think nvidia able to bring out the architecture full potential even without using super custom designed PCB. hence even the FE can be OCed as good as board partner card (though board partner still win on the cooling aspect). btw as it is isn't that 390X still considered more faster than RX480? because 390X clearly ahead of 980. why during designing polaris 10 AMD at least not targeting 390X performance?

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
I think there IS more overclocking room but you need a custom bios for that. You can't use the custom bios on the reference model because of the 6pin.

I linked one before and the guy got 1450MHz with it no problem. The power draw is huge, though.

GPU-Z doesn't report power draw the same way on my system, but if it's comparable at all then that 480 was drawing almost twice as much as my mildly overclocked 290.

for good quality power supply that probably not a problem. the 295x2 can easily consume up to 430w of power during average gaming session but the card only have two 8 pin. together with the slot that was about 375w of power supplied to the card (by theory). the only problem with reference early on was they excessively try to draw more power from the slot instead of the 6 pin power connector. i heard that the overclocking are more hampered by AMD wattman itself while third party overclocking tool can still push the oc further. i don't know if AMD have something similar to nvidia greenlight program but i think AMD does not want people to go overboard with overclocking

That's a score of 12% > than the reference card (in that chart).

Although it's still slightly lower than some have managed to OC other reference cards already, also lower than a review I saw for the Sapphire Nitro (1405MHz).

So.... I've decided to grab a (new) R9 Fury instead. It was reduced to just 308.75€ - which is practically the same as a custom RX 480 costs in my country atm, albeit the 8GB version. Hang the electricity bills!

That article made me chuckle with all of the "demonic" puns.

They loved the card at least.

EDIT:

Man... I'm torn over here, cause I really want to get the Nitro+ 4GB, but it will arrive mid Aug here in the UK... And that Fury Nitro is right there in price with the RX480 Nitro+ 8GB. I am using all of my will to not pull the trigger on it XD

Cheers!

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
I'll just quote what I think is true: "This is an Amazon customer support representative. They have little to no insight into the supply chain. I wouldn't treat this as anything more than a rumor."

ThrashDeathDoom

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

Still scared me pretty bad lol

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
I must add though, just checked Amazon.de and there it says available in 1-2 months. Time will tell. You can always cancel amazon preorder and get it elsewhere as it seems only amazon will get it's batch later.

ThrashDeathDoom

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I'm ready to call some old journalist friends from when i was in TV production and start up a fullscale investigation lol. geez man I'm just looking for rough estimates. I'm almost ready to cancel and get an older card used my poor gf is waiting to get the card in my PC and has been playing on iGPU. she keeps saying its ok but i can tell she wants to play games newer than the first Bioshock.. which is like all it can run lol. If its sooner than 2 weeks from today, alright i can wait it out. but if not i'm going for the cheaper other options.

I know...... the delivery dates on these custom RX 480's really sucks atm. September :??:

The GTX 1060 is also generally not available (in my country) unless I want to pay through the nose for it. So I decided to get 'The Fury' :pt1cable: :love:

I was getting desperate as my main rig has been moved over to my office (it has left the house). I need a decent card for my other machine.... really wanted a custom RX 480... but I am through with this waiting.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

I'm not sure there is a need to play any other games besides the first Bioshock in my opinion.