AMD RX 400 series (Polaris) MegaThread! FAQ & Resources

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sometimes i was thinking AMD probably will not going to release anything faster than Fury X in 2016. this year AMD product stack probably like this:

ultra high end: pro duo
high end: Fury series
midrange: polaris 10 (replacing hawaii)
low end: polaris 11 (replacing all older GCN in this performance segment)

right now we have no solid info on Vega. if AMD really banking on HBM2 for Vega we most likely won't see Vega this year.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

Yeah, the 4GB looks very nice. I wish they used the same GDDR speed though. Seems stupid to me for AMD to make that segmentation. Specially when you can actually unlock some 4GB into 8GB ones, lol.

Cheers!

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

I think unlocking the memory is a thing of the past now. Don't think you'd need much faster memory at this point, though.

Yeah they've confirmed that Vega isn't this year (invariably due to HBM).

What I am curious about is if the rumers are true that there are in fact 2 vega gpu's (I was expecting only one, as a direct replacement to Fiji). If there are two, that could be quite exciting as the *smaller* of the two is said to match the specifications of Fiji...

At this point I'm left thinking.... 'what were all those rumours about AIB cards hitting 1480 - 1600MHz about?'

The review I saw at launch where a reference XFX RX 480 was clocked to 1380MHz seems to still be the highest boost clock of all so far (not including water cooled and ln2 efforts).

Maybe in 12 months when the process has matured we'll see a few more cards hitting 1400MHz or above.

For now it's safe to say the RX 480 is a pretty poor overclocker and it looks like custom cards are not going to offer a significant performance bump vs. an overclocked reference card.

i think AMD intend to use actual 7Gbps GDDR5 module for the later batch instead of limiting 8GBps into 7Gbps to reduce cost. but then again there is no stopping board partner to use 8Gbps GDDR5 on their custom 4GB model.

hype?

maybe they can if they did some fine tuning like they did with Hawaii to Grenada transition. and it is possible by that time we see RX480 being rebrand into AMD next series.

to me RX480 is not necessarily poor overclocker. it depends on how AMD want to clock their chip. did they want to be conservative about it (and leaving headroom for manual OC to tap to) or did they want to clock the chip as high as possible closer to it's limit? imagine if GTX1060 have stock clock of 1.9Ghz with boost clock up to 2.0Ghz. manual OC probably can only go up to 2.1Ghz. what do you say about it's overclocking potential?

ThrashDeathDoom

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
My question is where will i be able to buy the RX480 Nitro+ 4gb? should i stick to trying to nab one on Amazon and Neweeg? something about that just screams to me that'll be sold out... any other main places that i should keep search tabs refreshing on?

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

If you're in Europe the Overclockers UK have preorders available now and they're supposedly to ship on Tuesday.

I just wish to see more benchmarks from some more serious sites for the Nitro+ 4G.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
There's a custom RX480 BIOS from a guy who OCd it to 1.7GHz with LN2

http://overclocking.guide/download/amd-radeon-rx-480-unlocked-air-bios/

Wonder what stable speeds people can achieve with air cooling with the custom bios.

@Burger: I'd just get the 4GB version, TBH. 249€ seems like a good price and you don't need the 8GB vRAM for 1080p unless you want to CF.
The only thing is availability. AMD is pullin an nVidia now with the custom 480's :lol:

Hopefully somewhere between 1400MHz to 1450MHz if they can manage 1405MHz without.

I don't mind tinkering with custom bios roms either as I have done so in the past without bricking anything. Although in both cases they were Nvidia cards.

Think I'll probably get a 4GB version. As you said, it's pretty well priced. Plus it's not for my main machine - I'll only be doing 1080p stuff on it.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

The Nitro has dual bios so you're safe either way.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
dual bios is nice so you can really get in there and tinker. if it won't run, then switch back to the other stock one and try again with different settings.

i'm putting dual bios on top of my requirement list for my next build as i am gonna go stupid and want to play with custom bios settings myself.

BIOS overclocking is worth it, but only if you have the time to.

I did a bit of BIOS overclocking on my EVGA GTX 750 TI FTW card (since for some reason the max power target is only 100%). But it was really complicated, I had a guy on the EVGA forums help me and after about 2 weeks we got the max out of my GPU. But right now I'm running stock since my memory is Elpida memory (terrible quality), and I didn't want to break my 750 ti. (I'm still going to need it for my 4k TV upgrade.)

It will be interesting to see what can be done with bios mods to Polaris. I guess it is kind of like another level of 'free' OC performance IF that performance is there to be had.
Also had my best results so far with a 750Ti. Got the MSI Twin Frozr to 1460MHz core and 3200MHz vram. Had okay results with a 980Ti, but not those sorts of % gains!

I looked at modding the R9 380X but came to the conclusion there was nothing to be gained (Trixx already gave me all the additional voltage and TDP I needed to max out the clocks before I hit thermal limits).

It might be different with Polaris and the custom RX 480's however....