AMD RX 400 series (Polaris) MegaThread! FAQ & Resources

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehPenguin

Distinguished
May 12, 2016
AMD was saying that with the 480 release but nothing alike happened when there were no cards to purchase, anywhere.

TitanXP performance would be very much welcome. For me this would finally be the card that'd take me to 3440x1440. I doubt it, though. My gut is telling me they'll be licking 1080's heels.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have doubts of its existence based on the cooling requirements of most AMD systems.

As an aside I am spending my day re-installing Windows 10 on my system. For some bizzare reason the newest Radeon driver updates for my RX 480have cause it to crash when doing the update, and lock my system into a loop. I can't get into Safe mode. If I use my Win 10 disc to get in it won't repair, restore, or reset. I decided to take the opportunity to do a fully clean Windows install. I have no idea why but for some reason it completely breaks my system each time. It did this once before and I fought with it a bit, until it suddenly started up again, but this time it didn't.

I've read about that Windows update bug in Win10. I have a friend that got the bug in his notebook. He had to re-install as well. His notebook had Intel graphics only, so I don't think it's the AMD driver. Or maybe your issue is something else.

Cheers!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Windows Update works fine. Its specifically when I try to manually install a new Radeon driver update.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well I reinstalled Windows 10 and the driver installed no problem so I guess its fine. Just reloaded my backed up data so I didn't lose anything. Probably good to refresh my windows install anyway get rid of some junk I no longer need.

so far i haven't seen one. in fact most RX460 that i find also the one with 6 pin power connector. AMD said RX460 is 75w card. but card like asus RX460 strix easily consume up to 90w.

I've had to reinstall Windows 10 twice since installing it mid-July. It's not related to any driver I'm aware of, but the OS will just start to malfunction and/or get extremely slow. Like 5 minutes to open firefox and another 2 for the homepage to load.

Back on topic...could this be related to the BIOS change you did or is this something AMD is aware of?

I did the same thing a while back because idle CPU usage was like 25%. It was like System Host or something in Task Manager. No idea how it happened.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I have had 0 problems with Win 10 up until now. But the past 2 times when I tried to update, you know when its installing and your display blanks out for a second? The first or second time it does that it just hangs (repeating the disconnect Win 10 sound). The first time this happened I tried everything and it just suddenly worked. This time NOTHING would fix it.

AMD doesn't mention anything in the release notes, I doubt its related to the BIOS, I mean I've done a ton of updates with no problem, and just installed it now no problem. It may have to do with me using a 6 year old motherboard which was updated from an original install of Win 7 from 2011. Its been a while.... My board is old enough the drivers are built into Windows lol.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I agree in it being a combo of Win 10 upgraded over a 5 year old Win 7 install and an old motherboard. I think the driver install was just a catalyst to it (see what I did there?)

Embra

Distinguished

Haha... Indeed!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I mean something may well have been off on my Windows install as my RX 480 had lost 200 points since new and I could not get it back. I realize that an imperceptible speed change but considering what happened made me think.

That said at this point if I caused any fear by saying I lost that performance, trust me its not the cards fault. Even gaming at 83 deg C since new the card is performing the same as launch day.

If anyone is having Crimson driver update issues with Win 10 (slightly off topic) then try updating Win 10 with this link: -

(EDIT:LINK FIXED) http://tinyurl.com/j8b38k6 or Preview: http://preview.tinyurl.com/j8b38k6

I was having issues where the updates were not fully installing and also occasionally crashing the PC after multiple attempts.

I have just updated Windows 10 and now updates of Crimson drivers are installing ok.

I'm not 100% sure there is a connection between the two, but it's worth a shot.

Cheers, I shrunk it as in the edit above. It was a horribly long one!

Here's another one while I'm at it. A comparison of the RX 480 vs the previous 5 generations of $200 cards from AMD.

http://www.techspot.com/article/1238-amd-radeon-six-generations-mainstream/

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

While its not specifically said, it would make sense. AMD likely pushed the schedule up a bit to beat Nvidia to the punch, not realizing the massive demand for a "$200 VR GPU". Also fits in with PS4 Pro's "improved VR performance" VR will run at less than 4k, but needs to be rendered for 2 screens basically. The stuff that runs at 4k will be equivalent to "low/mid" settings probably on a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS